Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From dls64chev's experience driving an LMM equipped truck across country, we learned that the LMM's are very quiet, and even the turbo wine is gone. For a lot of people that's great. But for a lot of other people, that suks. I wanted to get opinions on these two questions.

I know that EFILive will help the LMM like it does the LBZ & prior Dmax's, and can bring back some clatter but, how long might we have to wait (if we even do have to wait) before we can use EFILive (or other tuners) with the LMM? Would the tune programming codes be different & have to be known first by the makers of EFILive? I don't know much about how exactly EFILive programming works yet though.

Then there's the loss of the turbo whine. I've been looking forward to having a truck with turbo whine, and now it looks like that's a thing of the past, atleast on factory GM's. Is there anyway anyone knows of to get that back? I don't have a clue what factors determine the turbo sound. Anyone know if there's a simple way to adjust it? Thanks!

IMHO atleast, a little diesel clatter and some turbo whine would be a great compliment to the new GMC's - some awesome sound to match some awesome looking trucks. :)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I REALLY want to go out and get one of the LMM's, but I think I'm going to wait until questions like these are answered. I also want an aftermarket exhaust with the turbo sound, but unless the DPF is bypassed or cut off, it's gonna be lots of $$ for an aftermarket performance DPF with all the expensive material inside of it. Too bad the sound of the turbo is gone or reduced, but I'm sure someone will find a way to make the LMM a little louder. With all these questions an LBZ sounds better and better, even if it's an older, but still good looking body. I might have to wait until the '08's are out, just to make sure everything is going smoothly with all this emissions [email protected]!! Chris

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm kinda thinking the same as you........might wait until '08 hits............dunno.......might not :)

E

·
0 Posts
Once our test mule picks up his truck our expectation is that support will be released within 2-4 weeks

Cheers
Cindy

·
Registered
924 Posts
I happen to like that loud turbo whine .

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Hey Roadshark, my buddy just got EFI live for his 06 LBZ Duramax. It has the 07 LMM capabilites already built into it. DOnt think you will have to wait much to get the EFI love running on the LMM motors.;)

As far as sound goes, its hard to say since only 1 person out the whole website has heard one. Once we see it in front of our eyes, hear it start up, and pound that gas pedal, then...
...we will Truly know how the new LMM sounds, and what we have to work with as far as increasing the sound and turbo whistle.:D

Believe me, Im just as anxious as you to get a new GMC LMM and start modding it, but,... be patient grasshopper... all good things come in due-time.
lol.:)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I usually have mods piling up but there is no selection of performance parts yet. The only thing on the way is a set of AMP powered steps. I don't mind the lack of clatter. I never really liked the loud diesel trucks (can I say that on here? :) ). But I do like listening to the turbo. They'll probably be enough upgrades available soon after the trucks are released to let you know what is under the hood.

·
Registered
741 Posts
not enough whissle for ya?
Im sure you could always add another turbo or like on the LBZ's you can do that little plastic box mod that sits on top of the turbo, Im sure the LMM will have something like that too. Its a damn turbo guys, you'll be able to make her whistle.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Duramaxed06;1570919; said:
Im sure the LMM will have something like that too. Its a damn turbo guys, you'll be able to make her whistle.

:exactly:
Agreed Duramaxed06. :beerchug:

Irwindale drag races this Thursday night??? I think Im in the mood to see some Duramaxs and Chevelles beat up on the lil piece of sh*t ricers.

·
Registered
301 Posts
eliminate as much as you can before the turbo, i.e. smooth freeflowing intake setups, for the whine heard from the cab and i'm sure aftermarket exhaust will be from the DPF back will be available soon or exhuast shops can cut and make a system. as far as diesel clatter, i'm not sure as to why they do that, might be higher compression that creates the noise, i'm not as familiar with diesel as i am gas engines.

·
Registered
159 Posts
What kind of mods to the plastic box are you talking about duramaxed06
Duramaxed06;1570919; said:
not enough whissle for ya?
Im sure you could always add another turbo or like on the LBZ's you can do that little plastic box mod that sits on top of the turbo, Im sure the LMM will have something like that too. Its a damn turbo guys, you'll be able to make her whistle.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I read on DP that you can take off that little plastic box on top of your turbo that say "6.6" on it. You can plug it with a part you can pick up from Home Depot and this makes alot more whistle. I haven't done it myself but lots on this website have and reported much more whistle. May try it in the future just to see how much louder it gets. Its already pretty loud with the straight pipe. The right "tune" you have loaded makes a difference. I believe it has something to do with vane position on the turbo. When the vanes are closed it builds more boost but also "muffles" the whistle. Run a low HP, low boost "50-75hp or so" tune and I've noticed more whistle.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies & opinions so far!

GMCJOE;1570243; said:
Hey Roadshark, my buddy just got EFI live for his 06 LBZ Duramax. It has the 07 LMM capabilites already built into it. DOnt think you will have to wait much to get the EFI love running on the LMM motors.;)

As far as sound goes, its hard to say since only 1 person out the whole website has heard one. Once we see it in front of our eyes, hear it start up, and pound that gas pedal, then...
...we will Truly know how the new LMM sounds, and what we have to work with as far as increasing the sound and turbo whistle.:D

Believe me, Im just as anxious as you to get a new GMC LMM and start modding it, but,... be patient grasshopper... all good things come in due-time.
lol.:)
That's good to know. Ok, I be patient a bit longer, I've waited this long afterall :)

Duramaxed06;1572122; said:
I read on DP that you can take off that little plastic box on top of your turbo that say "6.6" on it. You can plug it with a part you can pick up from Home Depot and this makes alot more whistle. I haven't done it myself but lots on this website have and reported much more whistle. May try it in the future just to see how much louder it gets. Its already pretty loud with the straight pipe. The right "tune" you have loaded makes a difference. I believe it has something to do with vane position on the turbo. When the vanes are closed it builds more boost but also "muffles" the whistle. Run a low HP, low boost "50-75hp or so" tune and I've noticed more whistle.
Thanks for that Duramaxed06, sounds like both issues can be delt with then. Then It'll just be a matter of time before the lift kits come out and TransferFlow aux fuel tanks etc. ;) I talked to TransferFlow and they said as soon as they get ahold of one of the trucks all they have to do is verify that everything works (apparently they'll be using the same kit as they use on the 800 trucks if they can).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts