Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my experience chasing the steering rattle/clunk in my LMM. Completely new front end suspension/steering/shocks, etc.
In my case the noise and feel of looseness was primarily due to the lower steering column bearing. Once the ISS was disconnected it was obviously loose and the noise/feel unmistakable; especially side-to-side. The rusted/binding upper intermediate shaft also could have contributed to the rattle/noise during chassis flex I guess. Replacing the ISS helped a little but I knew the bearing had to be addressed to complete the fix.
Unlike the OBS trucks, the LMM lower steering column bearing appears to be a royal PITA to replace due to a steel shroud (visible in first picture) above the steering shaft attached to the steering column by three screws accessible only by loosening if not completely removing the steering column. Also, the design of the LMM steering column does not lend itself to any of the OBS quick fixes (muffler clamp, etc.).
My fix is working well so far. Here is what I used:
· Dorman OBS bearing part #905-512
· Screw driver
· ¼” fuel hose
· 12mm wrench
· 15mm shallow socket/ratchet or wrench
The plastic Dorman bearing is the same dimension on the big end (shroud?) but much smaller on the small end (that goes in the column) than the LMM part. This is important for later.
1. Cut just the actual bearing area from the Dorman part.
2. Using the Dorman part big end as a template, cut the hose (or whatever you want to use to secure the bearing) to length and test fit. Note how the three steps/notches in the big end are what provide the pressure to secure the new bearing in place.
3. Secure the truck steering wheel so it won’t rotate when disconnected from upper steering shaft.
4. Disconnect upper ISS from steering column shaft.
5. Carefully pry LMM (white) steering column bearing from housing. You may be able to use both hands to wiggle out – just don’t break it. The reason it needs to be removed is that is the only way the steering column shaft can move away from the steel shroud enough to slide the Dorman bearing on to the shaft.
6. Slide the Dorman bearing onto the steering column shaft. This is a press fit (which is good) and might take a little effort. Do NOT press the bearing into final position yet – only about halfway into shroud area of white LMM bearing. The Dorman bearing is small enough to be pushed TOO far into the stock bearing.
7. Press fit the hose around the Dorman bearing, inside the LMM shroud, noting that the hose ends should fall between two of the three notches. Now you can press both the hose and Dorman bearing into final position.

Note: If you break the shroud on the white LMM bearing, you may be able to press fit the new bearing inside the small end using much smaller diameter tubing or another item. I did not test this.

Attachments

Reactions: IGO1320

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the exact same problem in my truck. I can move the steering wheel side to side without the shaft even moving. I feel like there is problems in the entire column in my truck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
2008+ Steering Clunk Fix

I found the problem with my loose steering wheel and play from the wheel to the ISS.

1. Remove top cover off the column.
2. Turn the wheel to the right or left until the 3 oclock or 9 oclock T27 screw is showing. The first picture shows what it will look like when you remove the cover and your wheel is straight. The 2nd picture will show you what it looks like when you turn one way or another. On my truck you can see it has been covered in torque verifying liquid. In this case mine is yellow.
3. Tighten that screw no more than 1/8th of a turn.
4. Repeat to the side you did not do.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts