Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It amazes me to keep reading about the problems posted regarding the LMM and limp mode. I understand it is a new design of the truck but other than the DPF is it not a proven drivetrain? Is it just the luck of the draw that I haven't experienced this yet? I understand the ratio of problems compared to trucks on the road is probably miniscule but I seem to find myself waiting for this dreaded experience. I have no perf. mods with 14K miles on mine, with over 2500 pulling a 8000lb trailer, I've got on her hard, I've remote started and idled it, drove through snow storms and a couple of weeks of -15 to -25C Canadian weather... so far only 2 leaky tranny lines have been replaced. Not bad in my estimate for a new design. Yet still I get nervous.... it's my first diesel so hopefully this passes. Am I being paranoid or does it make sense to buy a code reader/clearer? Is there anything else you can do to prepare?

·
Registered
915 Posts
never had an issue with mine, except when running the DPF and big tunes. So I'd say it's not an issue with the truck tuned as delivered from GM.

Jody

·
Registered
16,080 Posts
Do some reading on some of the horror stories in the third generation threads. I had the engine replaced at 2400miles do to the glow plug issues with the early LBZs. I haven't had any issues since other than the tranny lines. Every truck is different even if they all come off the same line.

One thing you don't hear to often from people here are trucks that run well, you only hear about the problems.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
The only limp I've gotten was when the fuel filter was chock full of ****! 9000 miles, 55% left on DIC...pulled her off, cut her open, found all black and crap laying in the bottom. I rack it up to my poor gas station.

·
Registered
252 Posts
It amazes me to keep reading about the problems posted regarding the LMM and limp mode. I understand it is a new design of the truck but other than the DPF is it not a proven drivetrain? Is it just the luck of the draw that I haven't experienced this yet? I understand the ratio of problems compared to trucks on the road is probably miniscule but I seem to find myself waiting for this dreaded experience. I have no perf. mods with 14K miles on mine, with over 2500 pulling a 8000lb trailer, I've got on her hard, I've remote started and idled it, drove through snow storms and a couple of weeks of -15 to -25C Canadian weather... so far only 2 leaky tranny lines have been replaced. Not bad in my estimate for a new design. Yet still I get nervous.... it's my first diesel so hopefully this passes. Am I being paranoid or does it make sense to buy a code reader/clearer? Is there anything else you can do to prepare?
Hard not to think of it when it happens to you in a bad situation. I hate the limp mode. To many times for me to trust the truck. Would never take this truck on a trip. Will not let my wife drive it anywhere. The limp mode is absolute bullshit. Anything that takes control of what I am driving without a moments notice is a concern to me. Anyone driving one of these trucks should always know that at any given moment you could experience a loss of power. And the reason for the loss of power could be for absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hard not to think of it when it happens to you in a bad situation. I hate the limp mode. To many times for me to trust the truck. Would never take this truck on a trip. Will not let my wife drive it anywhere. The limp mode is absolute bullshit. Anything that takes control of what I am driving without a moments notice is a concern to me. Anyone driving one of these trucks should always know that at any given moment you could experience a loss of power. And the reason for the loss of power could be for absolutely nothing.
This may have been answered before but the truck goes into limp mode only with certain codes or with all codes? Also, can you clear a "limp mode" code and then continue on your way?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
When you belong to a forum like this the first thing you must learn is that they were started as a place to get broken things fixed and for venting.

You have to learn to ignore problems that are not there. Most trucks are fine and most trucks aren't even represented on this forum.

·
Registered
252 Posts
This may have been answered before but the truck goes into limp mode only with certain codes or with all codes? Also, can you clear a "limp mode" code and then continue on your way?
You can clear codes with certain programers and only certain codes will set you in limp mode. All 07.5 and 08 Duramax's are programed to limp when they set certain codes. There is no way to know when. There is a lot of trucks out there and I would be very surprised if they didn't all go into limp once in there life time some several times. I'm talking stock trucks with the DPF. My goal would be to have the limp mode eliminated.

·
Registered
16,080 Posts
You can clear codes with certain programers and only certain codes will set you in limp mode. All 07.5 and 08 Duramax's are programed to limp when they set certain codes. There is no way to know when. There is a lot of trucks out there and I would be very surprised if they didn't all go into limp once in there life time some several times. I'm talking stock trucks with the DPF. My goal would be to have the limp mode eliminated.
Call GM and ask them if they would sell you a truck with absolutely no warranty on it. Tell them to remove the codes that can cause a limp mode condition that way when you blow it up you can pay for it out of your own pocket. That will solve both party's problems.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Call GM and ask them if they would sell you a truck with absolutely no warranty on it. Tell them to remove the codes that can cause a limp mode condition that way when you blow it up you can pay for it out of your own pocket. That will solve both party's problems.
You think that will solve the problem?

·
Registered
16,080 Posts
You think that will solve the problem?
Exactly. GM is trying to protect themselves from having to pay even bigger warranty claims. I for one want a warranty. If I hadn't had one, I would have already bit the bullet for a new engine due to the glow plug issues.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I have over 70K worth of miles racked up on 2 duramaxes and I have NEVER been in Limp Mode. Keep your filters clean, if you can, add a secondary filter in an easyly accessable spot so you can service it easier and more often, and for less $$.. And drive the sheet out of it... Don't worry about it...

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have over 70K worth of miles racked up on 2 duramaxes and I have NEVER been in Limp Mode. Keep your filters clean, if you can, add a secondary filter in an easyly accessable spot so you can service it easier and more often, and for less $$.. And drive the sheet out of it... Don't worry about it...
I love to hear that there is trucks racking up miles on them with no issues. Got to have a comfort level with the emissions.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Exactly. GM is trying to protect themselves from having to pay even bigger warranty claims. I for one want a warranty. If I hadn't had one, I would have already bit the bullet for a new engine due to the glow plug issues.
You really do not feel that there could be a better way than the limp mode? If you had your child or wife in the truck and you had to get them to the hospital,and your engine light came on would you continue to drive. Say its your oil light. Would you destroy your engine to save a life? It's your decision not GM's. if you continue to drive. Yes I agree it's a money thing. We have driven vehicles for decades with 5 year 50,000 mile warranties with out the limp mode.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
You really do not feel that there could be a better way than the limp mode? If you had your child or wife in the truck and you had to get them to the hospital,and your engine light came on would you continue to drive. Say its your oil light. Would you destroy your engine to save a life? It's your decision not GM's. if you continue to drive. Yes I agree it's a money thing. We have driven vehicles for decades with 5 year 50,000 mile warranties with out the limp mode.
Your right, that sucks, but its unlikely... Probably as posible as your fuel filter clogging on your way to the ER..... I would rather have it shut down, still run and give me heat or cooling, and still move, than to die. While trveling through a desert, with no one in sight, keep me cool and not walking....

·
Registered
16,080 Posts
Um, yes. Then I would go into it knowing that I would pay to fix it also. You could still drive it, not very fast but it would still make it there.

·
Registered
16,080 Posts
I wish I had your truck. Loved my LBZ.
The LMM is a good truck too, you just got one that is less than desirable. People forget that trucks are mechanical things. **** happens. Would you go to Vegas on 50% odds? I would. If I traded tommorrow, I know I have a 50-50 shot of getting a problem child.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The LMM is a good truck too, you just got one that is less than desirable. People forget that trucks are mechanical things. **** happens. Would you go to Vegas on 50% odds? I would. If I traded tommorrow, I know I have a 50-50 shot of getting a problem child.
I think your odds, of getting a good one, are much better than that. Believe me fixing my problems with this truck is no problem. I have issues with GM and the limp mode only.

·
Registered
16,080 Posts
I think your odds, of getting a good one, are much better than that. Believe me fixing my problems with this truck is no problem. I have issues with GM and the limp mode only.
I know what you are saying but in the end, it's 50-50, either it will be a problem child or it won't.

Personally for me, I would rather have a truck that goes into limp mode vs a 6.0 Powerstroke. I have a buddy who is on his fourth set of heads.:eek:

I think your dealer or place where you have it serviced makes a big difference. Read this if you have some time.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141926

1 - 20 of 26 Posts