Diesel Place banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,
My AC changed from bringing in outside air to recirculation mode on its own on some very hot days lately. I noticed it a couple of times while parked under a shade tree with the truck running while eating lunch. I tried manually to get it to go back to outside air but it just blinked a few times and stayed in recirculation mode. When I took off driving again it went back to outside air after a bit on its own. Is this normal on a really hot day (temps were about 100 to 103). Seems to be working fine with temps under that, although I don't think it is blowing as cold as it has in the past. Is this worth getting checked out or should I just chalk it up to extreme heat and working as designed? Have about 100K miles on the truck.
Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Howdy,
My AC changed from bringing in outside air to recirculation mode on its own on some very hot days lately. I noticed it a couple of times while parked under a shade tree with the truck running while eating lunch. I tried manually to get it to go back to outside air but it just blinked a few times and stayed in recirculation mode. When I took off driving again it went back to outside air after a bit on its own. Is this normal on a really hot day (temps were about 100 to 103). Seems to be working fine with temps under that, although I don't think it is blowing as cold as it has in the past. Is this worth getting checked out or should I just chalk it up to extreme heat and working as designed? Have about 100K miles on the truck.
Thanks, Mike
Had the AC system evacuated and recharged. Ran oil dye thru and found no leaks. Freon charge slightly low and some added. Had both service valves replaced as they tend to go bad after while anyway (mechanics decision and read on this forum). No DTCs stored. Tested recirculation door operation. All good for now...
Mike

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FWIW, my 2006 will constantly switch back to outside air when I always want inside air. Another poster here told me to leave my temp setting on the lowest possible (60) and that forces the unit to stay where you leave it, which for me is inside air. Then I just control the cabin temp with the level of fan. I actually hate the automatic temp setting and miss the old slide switches of way back when. But this is what came with the SLT trim line.
Yea, I'd hate it too. Mine are manual controls. A knob for fan/AC (turn for fan, push for AC) and a turn knob for cold or heat. It was just weird to me that it shifted from outside air to recirculate on its own, but I guess it thought it needed the extra boost from recirculating air when it got really hot here. Although I had never noticed that it did had done that previously.
Mike

Reactions: mp06011999
1 - 3 of 3 Posts