Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some info/advice on a 2012 lml that came out of an ambulance. I’ve mount it up to my factory 2007 c5500 4X4 Alison transmission and now I need to wire it up. Also need to figure out best way to deal with the ECU assuming its going to think it has the 6190 transmission or what ever it had originally. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry meant to put in the question it’s a LGH motor that I put most of my LMM motor accessories on. Except the motor accessories that control Califorina smog equipment. I’m adding all that to my truck so I can register it still and be Califorina legal.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
LML speak a different language so there might be issues with communication between ECM/BCM/TCM.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve swapped all Ecm bcm trying to figure out the TCM and harness now. It’s an Alison 1000 in my truck.

·
Registered
843 Posts
The TCM will have to be changed as well...the older tune operating system won't work with the new...alternatively you should consider "converting" your LMM to LBZ... from the small amount of research I did on it the LBZ ECM/TCM/BCM will run an LMM with just the change of the MAF (back to LBZ style including the connector change) and maybe a couple other small wire changes...the guys that do Duraburbs have been doing this for awhile so that would be a good source to get the rest of the info..

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
The TCM will have to be changed as well...the older tune operating system won't work with the new...alternatively you should consider "converting" your LMM to LBZ... from the small amount of research I did on it the LBZ ECM/TCM/BCM will run an LMM with just the change of the MAF (back to LBZ style including the connector change) and maybe a couple other small wire changes...the guys that do Duraburbs have been doing this for awhile so that would be a good source to get the rest of the info..
I think he replaced his LMM with a LGH ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good morning and thanks for the response. Yes I took out my Lmm and swapped in a LGH. I’m in California and have a c5500 that has to be carb compliant in order keep registration in the state which is a either LML or LGH generation motor.
what I’m trying to figure out is getting the electrical harness for my Alison transmission hooked up. I’m going to order an ECU out of a 2012 Gmc 2500hd truck which would have the Alison transmission programmed in it just not sure if my 2007 trans will talk to it properly. My donar ECU had the LGH / 6l90 transmission which im not using.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I do not see a 2012 truck ECM and 2012 van BCM working together in a 2007 Kodiak in just a plug/play fashion.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe I should get a bcm as well. Do you know the difference between the two or why you think that? Maybe I can do some reaching on that one myself. I also found a company that makes stand alone TCM and harness for my Alison might just be best to go that way. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Vans and trucks have different BCM and you cannot swap between the 2. There will be some wiring and communication issues since all of these are speaking a different language. All 3 have different dash, HVAC, radio, etc and all of this runs through it. Maybe start comparing wiring diagrams between all 3 to see what is the same/different.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I think he replaced his LMM with a LGH ?
So far as I know most all 07 Kodiaks came with the detuned LBZ, (maybe if it was a late in the year model it would have been LMM but I think you also got DPF with that)...but if he's going to an LML/LGH then it would be a huge advantage if it was an LMM as they ran the newer software... What is the VIN on the Kodiak?

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
So far as I know most all 07 Kodiaks came with the detuned LBZ, (maybe if it was a late in the year model it would have been LMM but I think you also got DPF with that)...but if he's going to an LML/LGH then it would be a huge advantage if it was an LMM as they ran the newer software... What is the VIN on the Kodiak?
I know sometimes things can get goofy with Kodiaks depending how they were ordered and put to use like a RV chassis. If it is like trucks then 2007.5 could be LMM.

Reactions: LCAC_Man

·
Registered
295 Posts
Holy frijole! I would not even dare to attempt this without doing a very deep extensive research first. Sure, the transmission bolts up to the engine just fine after you removed the 6L90 adapter plate, and the engine mounts bolt up to the frame easily, but that is the end of the easy part. Congratulations, you are about 1% done.

1) The van LGH ECM will only work with the 6L90 it is married to. So the original ECM has to go on eBay (sell it). The only vehicle available with LGH/LML and 4x4 would be the pickup trucks, so you need to get the Silverado/Sierra ECM. That ECM is not going to be any use without a BCM. Preferably from the same truck.
2) On pre-07 vans if you switched BCMs you had to do the theft system relearn. On 2010+ vans you could switch BCM without any issues. On trucks it may or may not have been designed differently, those I am not familiar with. Topic for research.

3) The ignition switch/lock has a receiver in it and the key has a transponder. And it talks GMLAN. So you better as well take the whole steering column from the same truck as the BCM came from and get it to fit. Or can it be deleted from the tune? But that would change the CVN, see below. Topic for research.

4) Can the 2007 Allison transmission be reflashed with a 2010-2016 LML TCM tune? Will it go through? Has there been critical changes in hardware or software? I do not know, that is another research topic. May be it will go simply, may be you can just swap the TCM, or may be you need a whole matching LML trans.

5) Wiring the instrument cluster is another story as it is purely analogue on those. 2008+ trucks and vans clusters receive all data via GMLAN. I do not even know if the LML computer still has the analogue output of the speed and tach info. That's a separate research topic. Or you would have to make fit of the Silverado cluster.

And the biggest issue of all. Even if you overcome all of the above, which looks really, really troublesome to me. That issue is CARB certification. I have experience CARB certifying a 2005 Duramax Suburban but heavy trucks may be a whole different department with totally different procedues. Is it done by a BAR smog referee, or a licensed private shop? What do they look for and what can be ignored? On the Suburban they were verifying the CVN - calibration verification number, basically a hash. I could not change a single bit in the tune as the CVN would be off. Not even the rear end ratio to match the new truck. Not even the fuel tank size for the level to work correctly. It had to come exact as it came on the donor truck, and they won't listen.
Will they say that your LGH DPF/DEF donor vehicle is a lower weight class vehicle, or Emergency Vehicle only (Read the bottom line in my picture) and thus does not qualify?

I very well get that Duramax 4x4 Kodiaks are really rare, desirable and expensive trucks. By Frankensteining it like this it may be possible you are very much devalueing it. LBZ trucks bring the most money lately. If you really want to keep this truck, your best bet is to move out of CA... Or register it out of state.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts