Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so a buddy of mine was driving home with his trailer, truck is used to haul and he said all the sudden it went bang and made noise and so he pulled over and stopped. Long and short of it, he trailer'd his truck home and I took a look, I have 2 videos I will share. It has a few codes, cylinder 4 MISS FIRE. And cylinder 1,2,4,5 Contribution/balance codes, I assume these all came up at once. Truck has original injectors and approx 400k km on it now, So contribution codes could mean it's time for new injectors?

When I fired it up for a moment ( I didn't let it run incase of more damage if its mechanical) That it smoked a bit white, I didn't cycle glow plugs though, also it fires up almost instantly as well. I took a peek up the flexplate/torque converter hole, I can see the bolts in there and I don't see any issues, but I'm not sure about the metal behind that? front tin piece? Theres no signs of metal shavings/dust as if something was rubbing.

To me it has a metallic sound to it, The truck still drives as in onto the trailer lol, didn't seem to be slipping on the trans. it sounds like it idles OK behind the ruckus of a noise, I've heard injectors going on big rigs causing a real bad knock like you wouldn't believe but this thing... not sure what to make of it.

·
Administrator
15,965 Posts
I would inspect that flexplate closer

·
Registered
155 Posts
I really doubt it’s injectors making that noise. Definitely look at the flexplate a little closer. Try using a crowbar to move the balancer around on the front of the engine, that would be a sign of a bad crank. Should be able to see it wobble a bit with your eyes while it’s running as well if that’s the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. He opted to take the truck to a shop, what ever it is will not be something I can repair at home, due in for Monday so will report back with findings.

Reactions: corneredge

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: looks to be broken crank for buddy there, a real bummer.

·
Administrator
15,965 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts