Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 12 duramax . Just quit on me. Only way It will start is on small shot of ether. Fires but dies immediately. Where should I start diagnosis fuel system or electronics?

·
Administrator
16,716 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
Try pumping the primer button on the fuel filter head till it gets hard. Let it sit for 30+ minutes and see if the primer button goes soft.
If it does, start by rebuilding or replacing your fuel filter head.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I try it now. Thanks! I thought if it fired on ether if that meant the electronics were working, but i guess the injectors could still not be getting signal to activate. Do you know how to check them for signal?

·
Administrator
16,716 Posts
I try it now. Thanks! I thought if it fired on ether if that meant the electronics were working, but i guess the injectors could still not be getting signal to activate. Do you know how to check them for signal?
Check for any Codes. If your scanner detects codes please post them here.
You need to see actual vs commanded fuel pressures with a scanner that can read live data to trouble shoot

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Within 30 min it had bleed off about 30% of its stroke. How does that keep it from starting when it is pumped up hard?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only codes set are P2610 and a #8 glow plug neither of them sill stop it from starting as far as i know?

·
Administrator
16,716 Posts
Within 30 min it had bleed off about 30% of its stroke. How does that keep it from starting when it is pumped up hard?
If the primer goes soft you have fuel bleeding off and air taking its place.
If the Orings in the filter head get worn down it will allow air to pass through into the fuel system and is usually the first suspect in a leak.

·
Administrator
16,716 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts