Diesel Place banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
One thing people are overlooking, the Magnuson Warranty act the dealer has to prove the tune is what caused the failure.
not if the warranty is a limited warranty (which it is) AND the warranty has words about voiding warranty if a tune is installed (which it does on later models) As long as exclusions are listed MM doesn't provide any protection for the exclusions.

Just like warranty is excluded if used in racing etc.

MM warranty act is worded around use of aftermarket parts that are used as part of the warranty requirements for maintenance. E.g. oil filters, oil etc. don't need to buy from mfg.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Off, I have been loyal to Simpson (was Nicholas) for 25 years between the business and personal vehicles. Great Dealership in the Southern California area. Dont know much about the techs in the back, have heard from Mike L and a few others that they are decent but the guys inside, particularly the guy in charge of fleet and ordering is top notch.

There is a newer guy running the service side now since the days back when it was Nicholas and he seems to be a solid dude but we will see soon enough when the rubber meets the road.

He was nice enough to offer to refund me for the coolant surge tank they diagnosed it with and charged me for a few weeks back. Ill get around to that once I see exactly what happens. If he sees this thing through he wont even here about the damn tank and ill eat the 350.00

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Put on the factory exhaust/def, and flashed it this morning.

Service Exhaust fluid message immediately on, as well as the DEF Light/code for def quality.

Cleared the codes, drained the tank, added 5 new gallons of DEF and forced a regen and she was fine.

Limped it 40 miles to get it to complete a regen and all was fine, a few stored codes but mostly just due to the fact that it was freshly reflashed/a few sticking around in the memory.

Left it at GM at noon, so should have some concrete info tomorrow as to what is wrong.... still not sold on a head gasket.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I am just going to put this out there as I am a heavy duty mechanic. If you think that someone can say 100% this is the issue with an internal component like a head gasket without stripping it down you are mistaken. Any wise mechanic can only make an educated and experienced guess as to the issue and won't know for sure until it is torn down. Anyone who thinks different is either a fool or does not have much experience. I am not bashing you I am just saying that people think that a mechanic can magically see inside an engine. A person can diagnose to the best of their ability but it is only a guess until the issue is found. In the case of a bad head gasket you need to take the heads off. If they haven't been removed no one will know for sure.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I am just going to put this out there as I am a heavy duty mechanic. If you think that someone can say 100% this is the issue with an internal component like a head gasket without stripping it down you are mistaken. Any wise mechanic can only make an educated and experienced guess as to the issue and won't know for sure until it is torn down. Anyone who thinks different is either a fool or does not have much experience. I am not bashing you I am just saying that people think that a mechanic can magically see inside an engine. A person can diagnose to the best of their ability but it is only a guess until the issue is found. In the case of a bad head gasket you need to take the heads off. If they haven't been removed no one will know for sure.
I for one am no expecting anyone to magically know something. The problem arises when they tell you that they know for sure what the problem is, you fork out money on an out of warranty item and then are left holding the bag.

With the tests now a days are you saying that a blown head gasket is only able to be located via taking the heads off? Because if you are then its the first time I have heard it given some of the conversations I have had with pretty well known diesel shops etc....

·
Registered
197 Posts
You won't know if something is cracked no matter if it is the head, block or head gasket until it is taken apart. The most common thing of course is a head gasket.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I don't know enough about these engines to say what they have as far as coolers etc, but egr coolers can leak as well. There is more then one item that can cause symptoms.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Definitely get all that.... I am not a diesel mechanic but I have built my fare share of motors on a stand etc so I get it.

What I have been told is that the systems in these trucks make it fairly simple to pressure test etc to find major issues as well as rule out things such as an EGR cooler/Heater core etc which I am told they have.. I agree that its a guess as to what exactly the problem is but I have been told now by a few well respected guys that they can all but narrow it down to 2 possibilities.....

Head gasket or a casting problem with the head..... after running through the correct diagnostics.

So yes... impossible to say its A or B for sure but fairly easy to say... Its A or B of which both require nearly the same work and are on similar ends of the spectrum..

EGR vs Head Gasket are drastically different.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
well,

Its as I expected. Gm today decided that they were not going to block the truck for future warranty work but decided that they would not cover anything on the specific claim.

I have not faith in what the means for future work as they have dicked me around to this point putting it back to stock.

Dealer said it was 1800 to tear down and no labor after that.............. Just parts.

But they said if it is a head and GM wont cover it then the total for all of the repairs will be 8216.50... which is insane to me. So in it goes.......... and ill have to settle for a 16.

·
Gone but not forgotten member
3,455 Posts
Well, that sux, even though it is what we all expected from them. Not covering this, but not blocking future warranty work is an easy out for them!

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well this just sucks. I am totally shocked at the cost of head gaskets job.

If my memory is correct, my co-workers LB7 cost 3200.00 for both gaskets at the dealership here in town.

I'll text him to find out the exact cost.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No way in hell would I be trading it in on another GM product. That is enough for me to go to a different brand altogether and let them lose out on my business. Especially since you are a frequent buyer. See if a different company would be more willing to bend for you after all the revenue you have given!

·
Premium Member
17,836 Posts
Alright, I'll agree that it may be a cracked head or a head gasket, but, did they bother to diagnose which side? You know, by the book...pull all 8 glow plugs, pressurize and look for coolant.

·
Registered
2009 Chevy LMM
16,207 Posts
No way in hell would I be trading it in on another GM product. That is enough for me to go to a different brand altogether and let them lose out on my business. Especially since you are a frequent buyer. See if a different company would be more willing to bend for you after all the revenue you have given!
All of the big three and the imports are the same. So if it happens to you all I can say is bye and good luck

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
I just received a text from my co-worker for his truck. 4400.00.
My dealer is great, I cant say I have a problem with the way they have handled all of this........

Ill clarify on the cost break down...

My dealer was willing to charge a flat rate for labor to tear the truck down, and no labor to put it all back together.... so they say. It was going to be$1700.00 to tear it all down and then just parts would be the final bill. The problem is they don't know if the head is cracked. The 8200 was worst case for the replacement of the head etc which seams insanely high buy I was'nt shocked.

Again, the problem is the unknown.......... If I roll the dice and its just a head gasket I win, if its not I lose and I lose big. Obviously once it gets stripped down if its a head, or something else major their is no going back to where I am at now which is the ability to trade it in at which point my dealer is going to just kick the can down the road.

The sad reality is I knew this was a possible and probable outcome from the beginning, I wish they would have not yanked me around with putting it all back to stock after the diagnosis, as I truly believe they (GM) had to have known their position on this before that request..... I was willing to play along though. The false hope just sucked a little. An odd request if you arent going to do a single thing.....

I programmed it, whether or not the mapping was changed does not matter and it was always an out for GM, like I have said I knew that from the beginning. You just cant do anything to these pickups before warranty is out, whether or not the probability is extremely low is irrelevant.... This trucks failure is purely on GM but it will rest on me in the end.

I cancelled my order for a 17 this morning, and am going to grab a 16 denali... it will for obvious reasons remain untouched until 5/100 lol....

·
Gone but not forgotten member
3,455 Posts
This is an abnormal issue, and his dealership works with him. No reason to trash entire brand/lineup because of one bad truck out of thousands! All makes have issues, not worth jumping ship!
If you have an issue after going to all three, will you stop driving a truck then?

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 79 Posts