Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put a power puck on my Denali. Here are my thoughts.

Installation: unplug the fuel pressure sensor and plug it in. About five minutes. Does not require fuel shims, but they come in the box. Tech support has no idea why.

Power: Seems pretty good. A bit more than I expected. Truck basically feels a lot lighter. I wanted to get an idea of how much fuel the box was adding, so i got an a long very flat stretch of freeway, set the cruise at seventy, and reset the DIC at different settings. I let the dash take a thirty second average. Stock I get 21MPG under the same set of conditions. With the knob turned down, the DIC reads 23 MPG. With the knob maxed, the DIC reads 28 MPG. Of course these numbers are not correct. It just gives an idea of how much unaccounted fuel.

Engine Noise: Defiantly more chatter as expected. Even at cruise, you get a faint consistent growl. I don’t really like the sound at cruise. Its a bit nagging.

Adjustability: It has a small knob adjustment to mound under the dash. It doesn’t seem like you can turn it all the way off. I wish you could though. The small amount of power doesn’t justify the noise. I’ve been probing around with the multi meter. I may have to add the feature.

Other: With it turned all the way up, it causes problems during regen. I found this out on accident. At WOT, during regen, the truck will surge, buck and kick. I'm almost positive I was draining the rail. I would try to confirm this, but I won't try it again on purpose.

Overall: Its defiantly worth $300. It will hold me over until efi live remembers who got them where they are (when hell freezes over), or PPE releases their offering after SEMA. Even then, I may keep it to stack with a daily driver tune. Any power struggles creep up; just turn it up.

I have a friend that loves messing with me in his tuned Cummins since the LMM's been gone. Its the first time he's been in the same area code. He knows its short lived, he just doesn’t realize it will be tomorrow.

Thoughts on the 2011 trucks.

Pros: The chassis if phenomenal. The interior is awesome. Stock, the truck is silent. It feels beastly.

The Denali package makes women throw themselves at you. ( it really does, I'm serious)

Cons: The DPF is killing me. I hate the lack of low end power. The peddle feel sucks. The CP4.2 should be called a CP2.2.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
It will hold me over until efi live remembers who got them where they are (when hell freezes over),
EFILIVE was around back in the OBD1 chip burning days, so the DURAMAX isn't what got them where they are. Diesels are but just a portion of there business as MANY tuners out there use them for gassers, probably more than use them for diesels.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, It's my $.02. I'm not looking for an argument. I would be willing to bet that the Duramax has been very good gor their buisness though. That's not really the point of the thread.

Still it's painful not having efi live support.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Just put a power puck on my Denali. Here are my thoughts.

Installation: unplug the fuel pressure sensor and plug it in. About five minutes. Does not require fuel shims, but they come in the box. Tech support has no idea why.

Power: Seems pretty good. A bit more than I expected. Truck basically feels a lot lighter. I wanted to get an idea of how much fuel the box was adding, so i got an a long very flat stretch of freeway, set the cruise at seventy, and reset the DIC at different settings. I let the dash take a thirty second average. Stock I get 21MPG under the same set of conditions. With the knob turned down, the DIC reads 23 MPG. With the knob maxed, the DIC reads 28 MPG. Of course these numbers are not correct. It just gives an idea of how much unaccounted fuel.

Engine Noise: Defiantly more chatter as expected. Even at cruise, you get a faint consistent growl. I don’t really like the sound at cruise. Its a bit nagging.

Adjustability: It has a small knob adjustment to mound under the dash. It doesn’t seem like you can turn it all the way off. I wish you could though. The small amount of power doesn’t justify the noise. I’ve been probing around with the multi meter. I may have to add the feature.

Other: With it turned all the way up, it causes problems during regen. I found this out on accident. At WOT, during regen, the truck will surge, buck and kick. I'm almost positive I was draining the rail. I would try to confirm this, but I won't try it again on purpose.

Overall: Its defiantly worth $300. It will hold me over until efi live remembers who got them where they are (when hell freezes over), or PPE releases their offering after SEMA. Even then, I may keep it to stack with a daily driver tune. Any power struggles creep up; just turn it up.

I have a friend that loves messing with me in his tuned Cummins since the LMM's been gone. Its the first time he's been in the same area code. He knows its short lived, he just doesn’t realize it will be tomorrow.

Thoughts on the 2011 trucks.

Pros: The chassis if phenomenal. The interior is awesome. Stock, the truck is silent. It feels beastly.

The Denali package makes women throw themselves at you. ( it really does, I'm serious)

Cons: The DPF is killing me. I hate the lack of low end power. The peddle feel sucks. The CP4.2 should be called a CP2.2.
Hey, someone else noticed...

I feel your pain.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got back from the dealer getting updates today. I took it in for frequent regens. The truck runs a bit better now. I was curious so I put the puck back on and timed a 0-60 run with an edge monitor. In 2 wheel, it ran 6.2 seconds.

·
Registered
64 Posts
How is it as far as smoke goes? im assuming theres not alot since you have your dpf on but is it noticable?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No smoke here. The dpf works way too good. I'm sure it would without it; I regen every 100 miles with it on high.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just installed this and when it is turned all the way up it dies like the fuel pressure drops way off. Does either of yours do this? If I have it turned down to about 75% everything is fine. I have about 7800 miles on the truck. Do you think that the fuel filter needs to be changed? Any other ideas why it is falling on it face at wot?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just installed this and when it is turned all the way up it dies like the fuel pressure drops way off. Does either of yours do this? If I have it turned down to about 75% everything is fine. I have about 7800 miles on the truck. Do you think that the fuel filter needs to be changed? Any other ideas why it is falling on it face at wot?

Mine does it too. I unplugged my dial and still had the problem. With the dial unplugged, the puck is supposed to be passive. With the puck out, It won't do it.

I just leave mine on 75% because it just works best there.

I called tech support. They were less than helpful.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Mine does it too. I unplugged my dial and still had the problem. With the dial unplugged, the puck is supposed to be passive. With the puck out, It won't do it.

I just leave mine on 75% because it just works best there.

I called tech support. They were less than helpful.
X2. Mike was going to look into the shim kit to see it that would help but I havent heard back from him yet. Intitially he said it wasnt required.

·
Registered
133 Posts
So is this something you can put in and take out that s undetectable at the dealership?

·
Registered
21 Posts
As far as it being the least detectable, I think this would be the one. From what I have read here the TCM is measuring power input and anything over the stock configuration could void your warranty. It does this by taking random snapshots of running parameters and storing I believe ten was the number somebody said. I bought this truck knowing that I was going to up the power from stock. So I guess that is the chance I am going to take. I have pounded the crap out this truck for the first 7800 miles of its life. I towed 10k for the first four hundred miles. So I felt that if any problems were going to come up they would have by now. I didn’t buy this beast for its warranty but for the history of longevity behind it. Don't get me wrong if something breaks and the dealer says no deal I will be mad but also not completely caught by surprise.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
As far as it being the least detectable, I think this would be the one. From what I have read here the TCM is measuring power input and anything over the stock configuration could void your warranty. It does this by taking random snapshots of running parameters and storing I believe ten was the number somebody said. I bought this truck knowing that I was going to up the power from stock. So I guess that is the chance I am going to take. I have pounded the crap out this truck for the first 7800 miles of its life. I towed 10k for the first four hundred miles. So I felt that if any problems were going to come up they would have by now. I didn’t buy this beast for its warranty but for the history of longevity behind it. Don't get me wrong if something breaks and the dealer says no deal I will be mad but also not completely caught by surprise.
so 10 snap shots and it starts over.How long does it take to go through a cycle of 10:confused:

·
Registered
21 Posts
That is the one question I don’t think anyone can answer because it has been explained to me that the snapshots are completely random.

·
Registered
110 Posts
would be intrested in seeing if lift pump would clear up your rail pressure problems? I have h&s dpf delete and had problems with rail pressure also but when added new suction tube and fass lift pump problem seems to be fixed. Maybe I can stack power puck with H&S program and see what cp4 can fuel, but I think I am close to max already?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts