Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Diesel. Not sure which engine. If it is the LB7, should I go trade it back in for the LLY or just stick with it. Is there that much improvement? I read some things on the LLY, but is it that much better, to go through the hassle of trading in my new truck. Is the LLY supposed to be rid of all the injector problems, or will this still occur? I dont want to regret getting an LB7 in the future. Also, how do you know which engine you have, please help...

Thanks in advance...
Edited by: pyrofighting

·
Registered
128 Posts
<TABLE height=147 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" bgColor=#fefefc background="">
<T>
<TR>
<TD class=text vAlign=top>

If the eighth # of VIN is 1 = LB7 if 2 = LLY..

As far as the difference I would just keep what I had, but thats me I am not you. Do a search and you can find alots of info on the LLY.</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
pyro,

Lots of new inovative upgrades in the LLY, but to trade in what you have would be hell on your pocket book! Unless you've got money to burn, KEEP WHAT YOU HAVE!!! (IMHO)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a 1. This sucks...
I am not very happy now. They should do thse changes at year change NOT mid year. Now the question is, would I notice a difference ever? I am not going to modify my truck except for Bilstiens and Wheels. Also, what is the Horse and Torque on my engine? Thanks for the replies so far.

this sucks...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Keep what you have, I'll dought you will notice a major differance in power. Sometimes tried and true is better then something new and not tested! I went through two Ford 6.0's in three months. I'm happy with my LB7! Plenty of power.

JMHO

·
Registered
511 Posts
I bought my truck KNOWING the LLY was on the way shortly.

I had a 6.0 PSD with the VVT etc. which should be very close to the LLY and I look at it like this:

1. The slight difference in power is a drop in the bucket at the level all these motors are at. Going from the 6.0L to the Dmax was not a heartbreaking experience, its barely noticeable.

2. I already dealt with a newly released motor -it sucked!, thats part of why I went for the 5 year old Dmax LB7. Not to say the LLY will have teething pains, I really hope it doesnt, but I wanted the motor with all the bugs worked out. I havent had one single issue with my truck at 4500mi. so far
(My 6.0 broke at 174 miles the first time!)

3. If I put on a programmer on the lowest setting, it will equal the LLY stock or better. ~As I said, these motors are all stellar anyway.

Remember, there's ALWAYS something better out there, Just be happy with what you have, its a great machine.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
pyro,

GM advertises the following:

The H.P. on yours is 300, the torque is 520.

The LLY H.P. is 310 and the torque is 590.

·
Registered
118 Posts
pyrofighting said:
I have a 2004 Diesel. Not sure which engine. If it is the LB7, should I go trade it back in for the LLY or just stick with it.Stick with it IMHO

Is there that much improvement? yes and no. search and read about all of the changes.

I read some things on the LLY, but is it that much better, to go through the hassle of trading in my new truck. Not worth the hassle IMHO

Is the LLY supposed to be rid of all the injector problems, or will this still occur? Time will tell. The injectors are different. Better is unknown, but word is that they are cheaper $$$. They are also more accessible which reduces the labor portion of the $5000 repair bill.

I dont want to regret getting an LB7 in the future. Also, how do you know which engine you have, please help...already answered w/ vin

Thanks in advance...

Last comments :

Considering you're in CA... I believe the LB7 has a Cat and EGR. One of the reasons I ordered a LLY is because I'd rather have the same Cat and EGR as all the other states. This theoretically should reduce costs due to mass production. Also, I read somewhere that the new Cat (maybe you have it since yours is an 04) is designed from the ground up specifically for diesels.

How much these little changes add up to is UNKNOWN. It may be a bad decision to go w/ the LLY, but I'm taking the chance. Only time will tell what truly works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
pyro, I have the same issue as you do. I just got my first diesel about a month ago and it is an LB7. I knew GM was coming out with a new motor but was not aware of the issues with the old motor. I had done a lot of on-line research and saw that the GM diesels seem to be reliable. I love my new truck so far. I don't think that I made a wrong decision and plan on driving mine for a lot of miles. If something happens to it I will let the warranty take care of it. That is just my opinion but I wouldn't want to take the financial hit on trading it back so soon. If you want to see a lot of new diesels that are being traded back for good reason look at Ford, you just don't find many used Dmax trucks out there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Pyro, I'm on my 3rd DMax. Bought an 04 a couple of weeks ago and picked an LB7 over the LLY's. Partially due to the equipment, but partially due to the fact that the LB7 is a proven engine and I can chip it NOW!

If you want to turn your truck into a fun machine-- chip it!

I'm sure the LLY will be a good engine as well. The mods are really minor and do seem to be improvements, but I don't see a hit on the used market for the LB7's. They remain the hottest item on the block at auto auctions.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I've got a couple people that my truck so I guess I will have to order the LLY but a GMC now

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Dmax Tim,

Did you ever follow the GMC order you put in when the Bowtie was ordered?

IIRC, you got the Chevy and still didn't have a TPW on the GMC?

Just curious....

·
Registered
60 Posts
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">
<T>
<TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="on">
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off"> For what its worth ( its been claimed) , that any LB7 built after 10/ 03, has the new injectors.
Mine was built 12/03, look on the drivers door, near latch for info. 04 LB7 has been great so far 4k miles. Didn't know of a new engine when I bought it . Just as well , enough decisions to make on options. High idle would be nice though, but the heated seats do the trick!!! Waiting on my stainless Duraflaps ( hope tomorrow) .</TD></TR>
<TR UNABLE="on" hb_tag="1">
<TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on">
<DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
298 Posts
Pyro:

.......Here are the LLY differences from the LB7....LLY is 310 HP and 590 Torque, New changes to engine= Variable Geometry Turbocharger(Hydraulic Actuation) · Revised Fuel System with New Injectors (Smaller Injectors that are more reliable and more servicable) · Two-Piece Rocker Covers (No removal of Valve Cover to access injector) · Fast-Heating Glow Plugs and Controller · Improved Engine Control Module (ECM)(32 Bit) · Revised Air Induction with Resonator(Quiter intake) · Improved Water Pump(Higher Water Flow) · New Cooling Fan Ratio(Faster Fan Rotation) · Revised Oil Pressure Sensor (Changed position on Oil Pan) · Cooled Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) for All Applications · Catalytic Converter for all Applications ............Steve...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Pyro,

The new LLY has also had some tranny mods made to help it handel the higher torque. The main change that i know of is that they added another syliniod and possibly built up the clutches some. We are not for sure yet as know one has taken one appart to see what has really been done. All i know is that mine is doing great w/ about 2500 miles and a little extra power already.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
ZEEB, I called the dealer and he said he must have sold it when it came in ( he's sold quite a few D/A).

So I'm going to order a GMC about the middle of March.

We are supposed to keep them 6 months but the second 03 came in 2 months early.

My worst trouble is deciding which color next, I got someone that drives a ford that wants my next truck so I'll have to see what color he wants.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts