Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I were to put a bigger turbo in my truck am I going to start having holding issues with my allison? 550RWHP for example? Currently I have a suncoast L3 with the pump mod done. What is the next level? Do I need to do that new suncoast mod to hold more? Will I really see enough difference to warrant pulling it again?

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The converter pressure cut back or whatever it is.

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah the pressure shim, same as in a L4. It's the one where you need that tool to compress the spring. Sorry I am not up on my allison terms. I just follow directions. ):h

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any idea how much additional holding power it would give? Ballpark is fine.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
The new valve with your p/r shim mod will put you around 210 psi ( locked up ). About 30-40 psi more. I would even consider no cutback at all with an animal like you driving. ):h :joke:

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wish it was available the first time around :(

Anything else I should do while I am in there? I have probably 15,000 - 20,000 miles on it since the Suncoast install.

Do I stand a chance of it holding as is?

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. If I have to pull the trans I to install the turbo I definately will do the mod. If I don't have to pull it then I might wait.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I thought at one point Eric had mentioned he'd have no worries pushing 600 RWHP to a SC III. I know this is all relative speaking, so there's no absolute rating.

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In an LB7 that might be truck, LLY is different for sure from what I've read.

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
IdahoRob runs his twins with only a 3D TC and TransGo kit.

Lookin for more air Tony?? :D

--Ben

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I know I've been running over 550hp for a daily driver. My tranny has the pump shim, but not the cut-back valve.

I'm going back into it this winter to to some mods(maybe just cutback valve, and a few other minor mods), maybe full blown tranny.

I'll post pics of what I find, good or bad.

Rob

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Rob, let me know what you find out.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
wait whats the difference between the pump shim and cutback valve??

did I forget to do soemthing when I did my Suncoast IV??? :banghead:

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No offense Ben but that would hilarious if you did forget after all the worrying, discussing and thinking you did about it a few months ago. :D

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
No offense Ben but that would hilarious if you did forget after all the worrying, discussing and thinking you did about it a few months ago. :D
:lol: I know!! No offence taken! Id probably just shake my head and laugh... That would be SO my luck tho; Forget some good trick or mod after all the work, sweat and tears I went thru to get that done.

--Ben

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
I almost dont wanna know the answer to whether or not I forgot it...

but then again it will bug me whether I know or not...

soooo...did I forget something???

1 - 20 of 31 Posts