Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Thanks for the link. That looks like the most official and yet different information yet (590 ft-# torque). This paragraph knocked my socks off.

"The common rail fuel system also uses smaller, more precisely machined and positioned next-generation fuel injectors to inject its fuel pulses into the cylinders. The injectors are now fully accessible, allowing service technicians to access them without having to take the cylinder head cover off. Servicing is typically required only every 100,000 miles or more. "

Anyone know if the service manual states anything about injector servicing or is this a euphemism for "replacement?"

Aside from a second filter install, if injectors need to be replaced around 100,000 miles, injector demand should increase and prices will drop. Sucks for those of us that thought we were buying a durable diesel for the long haul.

Smaller '04 injectors may be a new weak link for our power fanatic friends.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Ray403Dmax, I'm not sure, but the "smaller" could refer to the fact that the injectors no longer require a sleeve in the new installation. That would make the overall injector a smaller unit, but not necessarily mean that it has a smaller nozzle or output. Just a guess.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Wow, ok I am for sure buying one now 590 tq. I can't wait to see the look on my friends face when a diesel truck works his vtec powered honda. BTW, everyone that is worried about the cat and egr DON'T. I have a feeling like my car now, someone will make a EGR block off plate and little box to fool the computer. We all know how easy it is to remove a cat, just insert broom handle into exhaust down pipe and remove, do several times for most effieient results

Lenny

·
Registered
288 Posts
590 LB FT OF TORQUE, CAN WE ( I ) BE THIS LUCKY? THIS THING SHOULD BE SOME PULLER. TRUCK BEING BUILT MON. 12/8. BEEN TOLD IT HAS NEW ENGINE,I REALLY HOPE SO NOW.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Nice. Too bad that Dodge announced their 325HP/600ft-lb Cummins 600 the other day and GM couldn't top it. Snookered again......

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Charge-air cooling is used to provide cool dense air to the cylinders to help generate the new engine's increased power, torque and improved emissions.

Hmmmm? New intake system?

·
Registered
288 Posts
10LB FT OF TORQUE , YOU WILL NEVER FEEL THAT WHEN DRIVING. THE POWER IS DOWN LOW WHERE IT IS NEEDED. THIS SHOULD BE SOME ENGINE!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Frankly, I am surprised GM didn't decide round off the torque figure. They have always done it in the past. 600 lb ft is a hundred more than 590 lb ft -- at least that is how marketing folks see it.

That being said, I heard that they were going to announce 550 lb ft a couple of months ago -- that obviously changed...

·
Registered
679 Posts
Maybe they got wind of the ECHO 325 / 600 from Cummins. 550 would have been a dissapointment - at least there in the ball park on torque. Its too bad about the handshaker though, it seems to designing a gearbox to take the load would not be an issue.

·
Registered
909 Posts
GM can't claim best torque nor best HP now. What the....

·
Registered
218 Posts
In reality though this is a good step in the right direction. Gm clearly doesn't want to provoke a hp war but wants to stay in the game. I had a feeling Dodge would be heard from soon, if they couple a real tranny to it Ford will be the big loser. Hp numbers can be deceiving, lets see what the rpms/torque curve look like. We all know how Ford made their power with the 6.0, rpms, that's not real diesel hp. I think this is why a lot of Ford owners are complaining about poor low end, they're acting like high rev Jap four cylinders. 340/600 would have been sweet.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
The egr take off is right before the turbo, SO a nice adapter and u have the pyro installed w/ no drilling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It gives me a warm feeling to know "Offically from GM" that we have a 100,000 mile injector service life, but so does wetting my pants!

Now that they have "Offically" killed the resale value of our trucks! Seems like a bad buy to pay $5,000.00 more for a diesel and then pay another $5,500.00 for injectors and installation labor to be able to put 200,000 miles on our trucks.

Does anyone know if Dodge and Ford are projecting the same service life with their common rail high pressure injection systems or do they have better filtration than GM?Edited by: N8EUX

·
Registered
218 Posts
Something doesn't sound right with 100,000 injectors. What are these, platinum spark plugs? I wonder if they're doing this so they can pro rate injector values at warranty? I can hear it now, OK Joe Blow, you owe use $4000 because you used up 80% of the injectors useable life at 80,000 miles......kinda like batteries.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Ford is still using the CAT HEUI system on the 6.0L. As far as the cummins goes, I haven't heard of any injector issues, at least not to the same magnitude (no fuel in crankcase, or major diesel leaks). And as usual, there are already aftermarket ones being installed. DC was smart on this one, let the General have all the research paid for, release the new injector technology, revise them, re-design the fuel system and now hopefully were good. DC just jumped right to step 3 and they got some reliability - and yes they are cheaper.
That being said its an entriely different injector for the I6 5.9L - size / shape etc, I imagine a lot of the science and material involved are similar.

The other rumour is that their could be a Eaton Auto to couple with the new Cummins as well - their 325/600 is not limited to a specific drive line either (standard/auto). Here's the latest info on it that I have seen. Cheers

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/yabbse/index.php?board=20;action=display;threadid=23101

·
Registered
909 Posts
Still wonder what GM's 100,000 mile Dmax injector service could be.

I look forward to what Dodge will say on the Dec 10th news release.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I talked with a Dodge dealer today. Salesman says it's true with the power rating and not sure of the details on the tranny but has heard it's on the same line (6 speed auto) as the Alli, easier said than done. If GM is walking away from this injector issue like they did on the fuel pumps on the 6.5, it won't be good for resale. My nephews truck just came down with the dreaded injector problem. I think he's going to bail on the truck, it's got 25,000 miles on it. I guess you don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water, time to double filter.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Dammit, i just got my 3500 3 months ago, this new one sounds awesome, ohh well, just gonna have to add more power to the truck to keep up with all these new monsters coming out.

Congrats to all that receive them

1 - 20 of 23 Posts