Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">
<T>
<TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="on">
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

I just picked up a brand new lly last night. I have 500 miles on it now and noticed that it gives me a good puff of blue/white smoke between 1-2nd and 2-3rd shifts, also when I stand on it. I come from having a few Dodge/Cummins so I'm wondering if this is just break in or should I be concerned? It also smells reall bad...Kinda like the dealer used low grade off road Diesel in it....Strong Sulfer smell

Any ideas? and thanks to all that reply</TD></TR>
<TR UNABLE="on" hb_tag="1">
<TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on">
<DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have seen a little smoke come out of mine when I get on it, but not like you are talking about. I think that I have only seen that once, but I was really easy on the truck for the first 500-700 miles. I have 1100 on it now.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sounds like you may have some contamination and it could be doing damage. I would try to get the dealer to do a fuel sample. No mater what I would not run it with that fuel. Also change the filter after changing the fuel , then cut the filter apart to see what it looks like. It may also just be water that can be drained from the filter.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Mine blows a little blue in cold weather if it's been idling for awhile and warming up and then drive it. But it quits a mile or so down the road. I've never noticed any "puffs" betweent the shifts, but haven't really looked either. I'm reasonably certain I'd have noticed it in the mirror if it was doing it, but I'll take a closer look now.

The other thing to remember about the LLY is that it's got a CAT, and they do smell different...

Edited by: Zeeb

·
Registered
288 Posts
Probably rings are not set yet, it takes some miles for that. Also I understand they are made from harder metal than gas motors so that makes them set even slower. I would check with dealer anyhow just to be sure.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
"Kinda like the dealer used low grade off road Diesel in it."

All the fuel is the same except for color added to the offroad.

Where did the dealer fill up the truck, I'd call him and tell them your concerns.

U have probably refueled the truck since u have 500 miles, but a fuel sample of the stuff causing problems should be kept.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">
<T>
<TR height="100%" UNABLE="on" width="100%">
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

Thanks,

No I haven't refueled yet, The truck came to the dealer with 300 miles on it. ( dealer trade they went to another state to get it for me)

I was gonna refuel today and put some additive in it ....After watching it Once it warms up good it stops so it's just while it's cold

</TD></TR>
<TR UNABLE="on" hb_tag="1">
<TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on">
<DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
If the truck is running okay, I don't think there's anything wrong with what it's doing since it's new and the rings have not seated yet.

What about the smell? I'm not sure how I'd characterize it with the CAT compared to our diesel ambulances which don't have CAT's, but it is different.

Maybe your dealer has another LLY Dmax you could go start and see if it's the same odor?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't like the fact that some else put the first 300 miles on it. I feel the first 500-1000 miles are the most important. Thats when everything is braking in. I have seen on this forum somewhere something about heating up and cooling down and I agree with that. I would just drive it for now and if anything is wrong or it doesn't clear up then I would take in to the $tealer. Now they are only going to tell thats it's still braking in. So just sit tight and wait to see if it clears give it about 2500-3000 miles and see how it is. I know when I bought my Harley it took about 2500 miles before the engine got broken in, and you can feel the differents.

Leatherman

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I'd still talk to the dealer and find out WHO drove my truck to the dealer.

I've been on the interstate running 75+ and had new cars w/ dealer tags in them fly by me like I'm driving a ford.

Someone could have really hammered on it before u got it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts