Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recieved this E-mail from GM and though you all might want to know about it.

We now have the go ahead to communicate the new Duramax Diesel (RPO: LLY)

performance ratings.

w/ Automatic Transmission

HP: 310 HP

Torque: 580 lb-ft (at least)

w/ Manual Transmission (Carryover from LB7)

HP: 300 HP

Torque: 520 lb-ft

Xxx Xxxxxx

Marketing/Product Manager - Full Size Trucks

Fleet & Commercial Operations

I have removed the name from the E-mail.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
The torque gain isn't bad, but 10hp more.
The same specs as 01 and up for the handshaker. WTF.
Thats pretty dismal. If Dodge's numbers are true for the upcoming year 325hp/600trq with the auto (not that they have a good auto tranny)then i'd have to say GM is falling behind. We all know what these motors are capable of, why not take a couple steps above the competition instead of little baby steps and half ass competing. I guess i'll keep my 01 and keep puttin the mods to it. Later Jeremy Edited by: heartbeatcanada

·
Registered
218 Posts
GM's going to end up getting run over, again........Ford and Cummin's are going to mow them down while they're talking about marketing to yuppies and women. Commercial grade my ass, what a let down. I guess 580 lbs torque is better than the wimpy 520 in mine. My old Ford (2000) hauled better than my stock Duramax, at least now it will come stock enough torque to beat my truck I owned three years ago.......sorry to sound so bitter but I thought GM was starting to get the picture. Otherwise the truck is great.

·
Registered
909 Posts
It is disappointing being that everyone has been saying for several years now that the Dmax can be ratcheted-up to higher HP numbers. So GM avoids the HP war and goes for a compromise with a higher torque.

The real pisser will be if Ford again proves the stock 6.0L outpulls the LLY.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Boys boys.....

I think GM knows the power war is not going to sell a ton more trucks. Nobody will over run GM.... the truck chassis can only handle so much power and be durable. Then you have emmisions and cost. Dodge and Ford won't do much either....and Ford already bit off more than it could.

Besides.... I've had more power than they will ever sell stock, for two years now, so who cares.Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
704 Posts
With only 10 more HP but 60 more ft-lbs, this means the HP peak is at a lower RPM. This is probably due to the increased restriction caused by the CAT and EGR. What worries me is that I bet the LLY will be harder to add power to versus the LB7. Ignoring the Allison, the bigest issue with the LB7 when adding power is the high EGTs. The LLy will probably be worse.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think HP and torque mean alot more than we think. Not ten horsepower, maybe 20-30. It's all about image and perception. "She got a hemi", then there's the Ford ad's for the 6.0 and the new F150, Pontiac advertizes excitment. I think Hoots right about where the war would eventully bring the manufactures. Besides, I guess they have time......I have two more years left before I'm ready to unload my 03 and move on. I keep thinking Dodge will have the last laugh for some reason. Hope I can stay with GM but power will decide a lot of it in the end.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Ill keep my "stock" '02

·
Registered
14,321 Posts
I think some of you guys cry too much. "the sky is falling". GM upped the power enough to stay ahead compfortably. Ford has had 23 reflashes and settled on #3 reflash as the best. Each reflash was a detune in power. Fords trans sucks big time and will never have a shift kit, and thats one of the reasons Ford will be power challenged.The tuners that have sold their Ford chips are starting to realize the backlash because of the trans problem. They are advertising a fix which is a bandaid devolped by TTS and requires about 10 to 15 pan drops to adjust. This only brings pressures up; does nothing for the internals which are weak and suck. Dodge still has their 48RE which is the old 727 out of your dads Chrysler with an overdrive built into the extension housing.

I work on a lot of high performance trucks and am able to by any truck i want, or one of each. I chose the Duramax.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If Cummins does a real tranny and does what I just read on hp/torque, Ford will be right behind. Fords problems will reflashs have to do will product development time which Ford didn't invest in. I have no idea about the tranny, but I'll bet that after market will deal with that in the end, what ever the cost. The GM/Chevy has a stock wimp look to it and the only thing thats really helped sell to the hardcore market was the ponnies. Maybe I'm wrong, time will tell. I really wanted GM to dominate this market, they have the basics to work with. Don't even think of writing off Ford, they'll straighten out they're mess and it looks like the 04 is on that path. I'd also like to point out that when GM out powered the Fords the buss from the Gm guys was the sky was falling on Ford..........

·
Registered
909 Posts
Topgas said:
Don't even think of writing off Ford, they'll straighten out they're mess and it looks like the 04 is on that path...........

I agree. Powerstroke sales have been strong for some time. GM has recently won some market share, but GM will only continue that trend if they satisfy the public's wants/needs.

No crying here, I'll always buy the best vehicle with zero brand loyalty.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Probably does not need to be said but I bought my GMC because it's the most comfortable. I would have considered Dodge, but for the fact that I've dumped $600 plus into our Grand Voyager for electronic sensors with only 45k miles on it and my Sebring also needs several sensors just shy of 100k miles.

Ford seats are the most uncomfortable I've ever sat in.

I really think the Cummins is the best engine, but the Allison is the best tranny. If Dodge got a trans like the Allison, everyone else would be left in the dust IMHO.

My main complaint, is for over $44k, why can't GM have lighted vanity mirrors (for my wife), a sunroof option and Homelink transmitters? These, to me, are the little things that speak WAY more loudly than power curves. I'll spend $300 for the mirrors, just so my wife can put on makeup while we are driving somewhere.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think in the end GM is selling to you and people who think like you. I'd rather have wooden bench seats and 400 hp and 700 lbs torque. I'm alittle surprised too that this buggy doesn't have lighted vanity mirrors, the rest of the truck is geared toward that kind of stuff. Sunroof, I'll hang my head out the window with my dogs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts