Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You almost need sunglasses.

I bet chrome fuel filters work better than painted filters.

Edited by: DuckDog

·
Registered
63 Posts
If the chrome fuel filters work better, where can I buy one? I am going to call up the GM parts dept & see what part number this optional filter is..................

·
Registered
276 Posts
Seeing those pictures, and seeing the ones of hoot's engine apart, I have to wonder how hard it would/would have been for them to redesign the injectors so that they could be outside the valve covers.

I understand that the heads are completely different, but is that really true? These pictures look like they made they valve covers fit "around" the injectors. It looks like they could have done the same thing with the LB7 from the pics that I seen of hoot's motor, but I've never really seen one torn apart in person to really understand all that's going on there...

CADman_ks

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I think they should have had the LLY on the engine dyno instead of the 5.3 at he NAIAS

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
Wow, that EGR it a monster compaired to the one on my LB7. The biggest part on mine is the cooler, that one's bigger than the cooler. The Turbo looks bigger too, I'm sure for the variable controls. I can't wait to see how it performs...stock and juiced up! It could go either way..I guess we'll see...

Ox

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Perhaps on of you who's done it or knows about it can answer this question.

It looks like the exhaust manifold is slightly different?

I'm wondering because I've been talking to Edge about when they'll have a Juice for the LLY. The location of the EGT probe shown in Hoot's article doesn't look like it will work from what I can see on these pics, is it a different manifold?

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Ok if u follow the right exhaust up to a Tee ? where it goes up to the EGR.

Does the turbo get the exhaust from the large egr tube, it's hard to tell in the photos.

If the flange where the line comes from the Tee is both banks and it goes in the egr tube and supplies the turbo from there a spacer could be made and put the probe in the 1/2" spacer.

That way no drilling and easy to move to my next new truck.

What about the oilpan on the right side, is this a marine engine.

Duckdog do u have a top or left rear pic by chance, thanks for the others.Edited by: Dmax Tim

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
The heads at least need to be recast for the new valve cover sealing surfaces. Also... not sure if emissions/egr mandated some casting/port changes.

The injectors do look different. The angle of the feed line is now point up instead of straight out the valve cover. Looks like that would make for a shorter line and less bends.Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Dmax Tim, I wouldn't do to much "planning" for installations based upon this display engine. There is a *LOT* of stuff not included in this engine: all the electrical wiring, hoses, heat shields, etc. That nice tee and turbo housing will be buried in additional add-ons and up against the firewall and under the wiper motor! That being said, the exhaust header castings look the same to me, the flat "Hoot Spot" is right there forward of the exit flange on passenger side and the "dent" (for clearing the steering shaft?) is still there on the driver's side constricting the manifold. The turbo downpipe seems to have a bigger ring-flange (4" vs. 3-1/2"?) but is still flattened and "dented" for firewall clearance.

·
Registered
276 Posts
hoot said:
The heads at least need to be recast for the new valve cover sealing surfaces. Also... not sure if emissions/egr mandated some casting/port changes.

The injectors do look different. The angle of the feed line is now point up instead of straight out the valve cover. Looks like that would make for a shorter line and less bends.

I agree with all of that. I guess what I was thinking about was making a valve cover that seals against the existing surface, and then you would have to have the injector seal against that valve cover. In that manner, you could get the injector completely (or mostly) outside of the valve cover, or at least so that you would not have to remove the valve cover in order to change injectors.

They are sealing the injector lines against the current valve cover. Why would it be that hard of a stretch to think that they could not have a slightly different injector design that would allow the injector to seal against the valve cover?

As an engineer, it's always easy to look at something and say "What were they thinking?". However, I don't know all that's invovled in making a change like that.

After seeing the change, I'm convinced that they must have this "outside" injector change in the works when they started building the "hidden" injector design engines. There is a LOT of stuff that's changed on there, WITHOUT the EGR. That also makes me wonder why they didn't just come out with visible injectors to begin with...

CADman_ks

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Cadman, I think your understanding of the injector configuration is a bit "simplified". What extends through the valve covers on the LB7 engine is not the injector, it is a connector piece between the high pressure fuel line and the injector. The injector is down in the base of the head between rocker arms and valves. It has not only the solenoid and power wiring attached,but also an angled connection near the base that mates to the fuel return line and the clamp-down arm and bolt (all under the valve cover). The LLY has significant head changes in order to "clear" the injector base, sealing surface, fuel return, hold-down clamp, and solenoid wiring.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Idle_Chatter said:
Cadman, I think your understanding of the injector configuration is a bit "simplified". What extends through the valve covers on the LB7 engine is not the injector, it is a connector piece between the high pressure fuel line and the injector. ....

Yeah, I'm fully aware that I'm way over simplifying this.

I guess my point is that when I look at the LLY vavle covers, it APPEARS to me that the same type of valve cover could have been designed for the LB7, WITH some different injectors that had seals on them, or whatever it would take. When I saw Hoot's motor apart (before I ever saw the LLY covers), the LLY type covers were exactly what I imagined they would/could look like.

When I look at all of the complexity in the LLY, it really makes me think that they had the LLY design ON THE BOARD before they ever built the first LB7 (WITH all of the external changes that they made to the motor, NOT just the VVT and EGR). That also tells me that they knew then that there was some sort of a problem. Putting the injectors on the outside should have NOTHING to do with emissions, so why wouldn't they have just left them under the covers?

A company like GM does not make a DRASTIC change like that in just a couple of months. It takes them a long time to make a drastic change like that.

CADman_ksEdited by: CADman_ks

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I hear that!
It's a bit puzzling to me too that all that equipment would be "trapped" under the valve cover and exposed to a hot and oily environment (in addition to the obvious "maintainability" issues!)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts