Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in store for a new Roll-off truck. And obviously going to be a Dmax. The LLY comes out in January, But do you think their will be any bugs with this motor? Most everything minus heads and turbo are the same? If I put an order in now is their even an LLY option box, Or when might they start taking orders for the new motor?

My 6.5 is down and out with a fuel system issue(Inj Pump), And our GMC (Cat) is down with a fuel problem most likely Inj pump(17yrs old) Trucks are dropping like flys around here....Aint a fun sight getting up at 430 this morning to play truck ambulance.....Luckfully I didnt go out last night or I would have been getting home then

Bill

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Sometime in January is the release .... Also the tranny must be tweaked to accept the extra power .... No one ever firmed up the HP rating but rumor had it at 340 flywheel ....

I'd have to say you wont be able to order till November'ish but that's a guess ...

I can't wait that long Suncoast will tweak my slush box and Edge will tweak my Max .....

Mac

·
Registered
962 Posts
I heard they eliminated the cups the injectors seat into...wonder how long that ill hold out *shrugs* also heard it will have Egr AND catalytic converters...no thanksEdited by: Wickedsprint

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
The biggy is the new turbo. That, I feel, is the most significant change. Ford had some problems with the same turbo in the 6.0 (Garret). But... The Garret going into the Dmax will be electronically actuated as opposed to hydraulically in the 6.0.

I believe Diesel Jay knows more about this than I do.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Weren’t most of the turbo problems in the Ford related to fuel dilution of the oil?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Mackin said:
Sometime in January is the release .... Also the tranny must be tweaked to accept the extra power .... No one ever firmed up the HP rating but rumor had it at 340 flywheel ....

I'd have to say you wont be able to order till November'ish but that's a guess ...

I can't wait that long Suncoast will tweak my slush box and Edge will tweak my Max .....

Mac

When I ordered my truck, they told me it would be delivered in a maximum of 6 weeks, so mid-November would be a good estimate. If I were willing to wait to make sure I got an LLY, I wouldn't put in an order until mid-December to ensure I didn't get a stray LB7. I didn't want to risk the egr and cat rumors, though. I also wanted my new truck before cold weather gets here--I love my old K5, but the heat in it leaves a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey all. Is the general concesus that the LLY will be an improvement, or maybe a slight bit of downgrade. I know the numbers are supposed to go up, but then again the numbers on the 6.0 went up, and many owners wish they had the 7.3 back. I would love to have extra power, but would rather have a reliable engine right from the start than have problems with EGR/new injectors.

Bob

·
Registered
448 Posts
The cat'll be easy to get rid of. I've heard rumors that the initiation RPM of the EGR can be reset with a tech II, if not I'll bet that someone will have a reprogramed ECM or something that disables the EGR as most of us would pay to be rid of it. I'm contemplating getting rid of my 01 and trading for an LLY. Goes against the grain getting rid of a Diesel with less than 250,000 miles or so though.

I think the LLY will be better, comparing it to the 6.0 isn't fair because the 6.0 is a whole new design. I think the LLY is really not that much different and seems to address what we know are problems with the LBY. JMHOEdited by: a64pilot

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello: I am not sure what the LLY engine is could someone clarify. I know the Duramax is rumored to get tweaked in January up the hp to maybe 340 and up the torque. Also changing the injector seat cup and rerouting some fuel lines I think, can't remember all the details. So is this LLY? I have been debating to wait for this new engine so put my ordering on hold. Need to get a 3500 by the time the snow flies to pull the camper and sleds up the mountain. Thanks

·
Registered
212 Posts
Jeff8--You are right the new DMax is called the LLY engine. Not coming out until sometime in January. No one is sure what the HP and Torqe will be, but allot of "rumors" are flying around.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I have a Juiced Dmax that I consider as reliable as when it was stock. I suspect the new heads are just to cut down on warranty cost and heaven forbid, to make them easier to work on. I would not spend one minute worrying about EGR valves and cats until some are dynoed. Remember when everyone with an 03 was worried unnecessarily about less power? The Duramax/Allison was the reason for the Ford 6.0 and the HO Cummins. I don't think Ford was ready to release it but couldn't stand another year of GM cutting into their sales. I think Dodge is always ready to up the numbers with the Cummins at least. All they need is a good auto trans. All the competition is great for the consumers. Hear where I live, I can't get one of the new Fords or Dodges to come out and play. I don't have a clue how good they are. Later! Frank

1 - 12 of 12 Posts