Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A poster over on the "page" indicated that they announced the LLY numbers on a show last evening....310 HP and 560 lb-ft of torque. Has anyone else heard these as hard and fast numbers?

I'm surprised that there would be such a minimal increase in HP, and a torque increase that only matches the 6.0L PSD. If these numbers are true, you'd be able to beat a stock LLY easily with ANY chip/programmer on the market for the LB7.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I've not seen any numbers so I just checked GM's media web site as well as the GMC web site and there's nothing changed there.

Since my new truck is supposed to have the LLY, I'm quite interested in what GM finally says about it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
No matter what they do, a chipped LB7 will beat it. The question is how much power will the new turbo support?

·
Registered
43 Posts
the emission nonsence has nothing to do with the numbers..it was tuned to were it is now GM has bigger plans, this is just basically a design to get GM more of the market, they are plans for better in the future but im not about to spill

·
Registered
909 Posts
kool said:
this is just basically a design to get GM more of the market, they are plans for better in the future but im not about to spill

A v6 dmax would be a well needed plan for the future.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kool said:
the emission nonsence has nothing to do with the numbers..it was tuned to were it is now GM has bigger plans, this is just basically a design to get GM more of the market, they are plans for better in the future but im not about to spill

OK, but we've been hearing for quite a while now that the new engine would have a big boost in power ratings. Although F*rd has had teething problems with the 6.0L PSD, they were able to jump back to "best in class" HP and TQ numbers with the new engine. Now the Duramax is getting the variable vane turbo, improved injectors and fuel delivery, and has bigger displacement, but we can't even give the PSD guys grief over being second again? How hard would it have been to boost the HP at least to the level of the PSD and keep the torque at 560, or even slightly higher? The chips/programmers out there prove that the Duramax has a huge amount of untapped potential, and one would think GM would want those "best in class" numbers again. These numbers are second best and I don't see how GM plans on getting any more market share with them than they can get with the current LB7 design.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time Kool, I love your input to the Duramax forums. I'm just surprised that the numbers weren't as "exciting" as GM seemed to indicate they would be.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Don't forget, alli can only take so much.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Max Power said:

It was indicated that the Allison would receive some updates to handle the new power.Edited by: bluenote

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
bluenote said:
Max Power said:

It was indicated that the Allison would receive some updates to handle the new power.

still.... I doubt they changed the torque conveter or clutches. 2 of the major weakpoints.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Motorweek said 325 hp and 540 lb/ft yesterday's show.

Jess

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, so if we mix the two announcements, we can come up with 325 HP and 560 lb-ft of torque!

That at least would let GM claim a tie for "best in class" numbers. Let's see what their official press release says, if and when it comes out.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I also heard, the 310 560 numbers on either the outdooor channel or whatever channel the tractor pulls come on....

Jon

·
Registered
432 Posts
I hate this cat and mouse stuff.......back in early '01 when I bought my '01 we were told the guru's at DMAX were working on the '04, bigger and badder was the news. Now the '04 is about to be launched and what do we get........news that the next version will be bigger and badder yet again....

I think GM is taking marketing lessons from the computer guys where everything is obsolete 6 months after it is released.

Let's see the '01 design lasted through the '03 model year, the '04 will likely be with us through the '06 year and then the '07 will be bigger and badder yet again...

No wonder people buy the boxes to leap ahead to bigger and badder right now!

Guess I will put my thoughts about getting the '04 on the back burner and see what is coming down the Pike, not what GM wants to hear, but it's their fault for playing games with us. Don't they get it yet? We want it all now and I mean right now LOL ha ha ha

·
Registered
218 Posts
If I had to guess, I'd bet that the 04's are going to be in the hp range people have talked about seeing in ads etc, 325/565. I would guess that GM's had enough with the other two mfg's walking all over them and are preparing to show that they're not going back to being a second rate diesel truck maker. Ford will step up and put say 350/600 and god knows what Dodge will do.....GM will be ready with their answer. Hows 360-370 sound in 06 ?? Totally guessing here, no basis, but good rumor material. I still think Dodge will be the wild card and could send everyone for a loop. GM has learned that building high quality, high horsepower trucks brings them market share and profits. Step it up boys and I'll never go back to Ford again. I love horsepower and torque and will pay for it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
bluenote said:
OK, but we've been hearing for quite a while now that the new engine would have a big boost in power ratings. Although F*rd has had teething problems with the 6.0L PSD, they were able to jump back to "best in class" HP and TQ numbers with the new engine. Now the Duramax is getting the variable vane turbo, improved injectors and fuel delivery, and has bigger displacement, but we can't even give the PSD guys grief over being second again? How hard would it have been to boost the HP at least to the level of the PSD and keep the torque at 560, or even slightly higher? The chips/programmers out there prove that the Duramax has a huge amount of untapped potential, and one would think GM would want those "best in class" numbers again. These numbers are second best and I don't see how GM plans on getting any more market share with them than they can get with the current LB7 design.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time Kool, I love your input to the Duramax forums. I'm just surprised that the numbers weren't as "exciting" as GM seemed to indicate they would be.

ok this is kinda my take on what there doing...GM doesnt want to go all out right now...basically our main sales are due to the quiet diesel technology, along with the duramax's awsome quality....this is just a small stepping stone, toward what GM has planned for the 06 ive heard rumors but not gonna spill..lets just say, u will crap urself

but yeah, we have now hit 100% quality though hot test on both shifts, can the PSD say they did that, our quietness, and quality are what is selling us right now, the lil jump is to help boost the duramax, but this what is planned for the future, u will love

·
Registered
285 Posts
Not to make anyone mad, but who care about the future, I can say yeah in 05 or 07 or whatever I'll have the most power but bottom line is I am at the stop light NOW next to the more powerful powerstroke or cummins or ????. GM needs to get real and get on the ball, GM talks a great game with little follow through. Lets hope that someone has real hard numbers.

Lenny

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Im still happy w/ my '02 at 470plus at the rear wheels and 800plus torque........line em up.......Ill leave the propane off

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Lenny,

As someone who sold new GMC trucks at one point in my life, I'd like to make a couple of observations.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but GM has something of a different marketing strategy, targeting different types of buyers. Otherwise, why would they continue to avoid pointing out the fact that they sell more pickups than Ford?

The GMC crowd, including me, is for the most part REALLY interested in the quiet aspect of this equation. Some of us tried the earlier diesels and were not impressed, so the quality aspect of the Duramax is important as well. That's not to say the Chevy guys don't look at those things, but the Chevy's are not marketed quite like the GMC,which is usually purchased by people looking for a second car, that can occasionally function as a truck.

I appreciate the input of folks like kool, who try to keep us up to date on what's going on, since I'm waiting for a new truck, it's important to me. The fact that Ford advertises more power does not concern me in the least, nor I suspect does it really concern any potential Duramax buyer.

When there are engine and power train improvements, it's nice to know what was changed. Since no one can build the perfect setup right out of the box, improvements are to be expected when companies care about their products. I would be more suspicious of a company who did not improve on existing products. And finally, an improvement on an existing design shows forthought in the original design, and is far less likely to reveal new unforseen problems with the design.

So when you do actually buy a new diesel, you are free to buy which ever make you want. If it's more advertised power that's most important to you, it's anybody's guess who'll be publishing higher figures then.Edited by: Zeeb

1 - 20 of 49 Posts