Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anything available yet for our new motor? I cant wait much longer.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I know what you mean... Waiting isn't fun, but i'm sure it will be worth it.

The only power mod I know of so far is the exhaust. Mine is from ATS Turbo in Salt Lake City. With it you have the ability to take the section that holds the Cat out and replace it with a "Test Pipe". Then bolt it back in if you need to. I've had mine on for over 2000 miles and couldn't be happier with it.

It is a great start, But I'm ready For the Edge....

·
Registered
570 Posts
LLY DMAX said:
I know what you mean... Waiting isn't fun, but i'm sure it will be worth it.

The only power mod I know of so far is the exhaust. Mine is from ATS Turbo in Salt Lake City. With it you have the ability to take the section that holds the Cat out and replace it with a "Test Pipe". Then bolt it back in if you need to. I've had mine on for over 2000 miles and couldn't be happier with it.

It is a great start, But I'm ready For the Edge....

Have any pics of the pipe installed? If so can we see them?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I don't have a Dig. Camera but I'll see if a buddy of mine can help me out getting some pics.

The Test pipe section is the same as the Front section used on the LB7 motor. The thing that is different is the 4" long Stub with the flange on it that bolts to the Converter pipe. That way you can bolt either of those two sections back in at the Down pipe, and clamp it on to the Cat back section.

Check out www.atsturbo.com and look at he single 4" system. That is what you would see on my truck. As I said, the piece that bolts to the 4 bolt Cat pipe flange is what makes it work for the LLY.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Thanks for the info I'll check it out.

·
Banned
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How did you get around the cats? Arent they hooked to an EGR valve or something like that?

·
Registered
274 Posts
No there are no sensors in the exhaust at all, (Post Turbo). Also, the new VVTurbo does NOT need backpressure to operate. In fact I have noticed a big difference in responsiveness and overall power without the backpressure. I was told that "For every pound of back pressure you remove from the exhaust side, you gain a pound of Boost on the intake side". I was also told that the stock LLY exhaust likely makes in excess of 5 pounds of backpressure.

There is someone here that installed a Flowmaster exhaust that was made for the LB7 on his new LLY and said he had a code set. It said he didn't have enough EGR flow. When he reinstalled his CAT it went away. I don't know what the problem was. I have never had any codes set. I have gone kitty free for over 2K miles. The nice thing is that The CAT pipe is sitting in my garrage and can be reinstalled at any time.

·
Banned
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I really want to upgrade my exhaust, but I dont want to be setting codes either. My last truck had an ats system on it, and I wasnt happy with the amount of drone noise their mufflers produced in the cab, I wish there was a 4 inch exhaust out there that you could put on and not hear the difference from in the cab.

·
Registered
274 Posts
As for the drone/ Noise levels. I rode in a truck with an older version of the ATS exhaust. It was WAY to loud for my taste. I really hated it! There is no way I would have put one on my truck with the sound levels the way that they were.

They said they have gone through something like 20 different designs to get the noise and Drone down. This system is Very quiet, Maybe 5% louder than stock in the cab, And 15% louder while standing beside the tailpipe. It is a HUGE improvement in sound control from what they had before. It is still 4" all the way through, No restrictions. They somehow were able to get the sound levels down, and I have heard no drone in my system.

·
Banned
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So you bought the 4 inch system from them then right?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yep!

Single exit 4".

·
Banned
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you dont mind, how much was it?

·
Registered
274 Posts
The LLY version is going to be the same price as the LB7 system.

The Single 4" Stainless system, with the 5" tip is $895. Dual 4" systems are more But the same as LB7s.

I just talked with them and they are waiting on the CAT flanges to get in stock so they can ship LLY orders.

·
Banned
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I guess then I should be alright if I were to buy this and remove the cats. I just wanted to make sure that it wasnt really loud inside for sure. Its good to get the info from you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i am thinking of getting a cold air box, does someone know if it is out for the lly, if so what kind should i get (new to diesel) thanks for any help.

doodle

·
Registered
274 Posts
emerick115 said:
So I guess then I should be alright if I were to buy this and remove the cats. I just wanted to make sure that it wasnt really loud inside for sure. Its good to get the info from you.

There is only one cat...

I've heard the differance between the old 4" system and the new. The only way to discribe it is No comparison. You can hardly hear it in the cab. If you lived closer I'd have you come over and listen.

Let us know what you end up getting.

·
Banned
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wouldnt bother with a cold air intake, the airbox is open as it is. I dont think you would notice a difference.

·
Registered
274 Posts
With all of the horror stories about the failures of aftermarket air boxes I am scared to death to even try one out. Part of me thinks there wouldn't be a problem. However, I'll keep an eye on the bord and see what pans out. So far as I know nobody makes a complete intake for the LLY yet anyway.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had my airbox out today to gain a little room to put in the Kennedy headlight harness. I noticed that the airbox is open on the end. I also noticed that the area in the fender that has holes in it is covered. Seems to me that fresh air is being restricted by covering the holes. The holes are covered with a metal type piece of sheeting.

Anybody else notice this? I wonder what/if a difference would be made if the holes were opened up.

Norm

·
Registered
511 Posts
Norm, good question.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts