Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been working with a group of ex- Bosch engineers on various projects including engine dyno tuning/parts testing and evaluation. One of there projects is trying to put the Dmax in the boat market. They are in Miami right now for the big boat show with this motor pictured below. This thing is very sweet in person.

Those are water cooler headers, dual wall SS, the turbo is water cooled as well. Dyno'd a very conservative 400 hp at 3k RPM.

Wish I could take credit for that masterpiece, but I just drooled all over it when I seen it last week

Attachments

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Pretty cool, Eric. I think those pics will give the guys building the Dmax headers some ideas....

Different oilpan, too.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
That's awesome...I guess the 2nd CP3 will have to go down low :D

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats the commercial version per say, 400 hp. We have talked about what it takes to make bigger power etc, but they also have to make sure it lives. The customer with the budget will make that call I guess.

That oil pan is from the H2's, much cleaner look then the truck pans

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Schweet!! I guess that's an air/water intercooler up top on the back?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Is that the same project Volker from MDE is working on Eric?

·
Native Texan
292 Posts
I'd like to see a pair of these in a twin screw Donzi ZR 38 or 43. Those twin 525 Merc's drink way too much fuel.

·
Registered
205 Posts
They would really shine in a cruiser that currently has BBC engines.:D

I'm guessing these engines will be a direct drop-in for the BBC, much like the many 6.5L re-power engines on the market for boats.

Eric, got a link or something to this company?

That oil filter would be a PITA to change with the engine/s installed, you'd want to install a remote filter.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Airboat version????

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
awesome! this is something WE should have done years ago when the dmax came out!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Those headers and up-pipes make me horny in a bad way...... :D

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
sweet, like to see boat race some of the euro offshore boats, they still run lots of diesels.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
that looks bad a$$ pilot lets do the swap pleeeease

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question, why is the power steering pump still there?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Trim tabs? Also probably just as esay to leave it then to take it off and have to gear up an idler pulley.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not a huge boat expert, but the boat I owned a few years back had a p/s pump on it, used it for....steering controls.

I dunno what the larger boats use or anything, but its a generic engine right now. Target consumer is the boat OEMs that will install it in production units.

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
That is very cool. I wondered how long it would take for someone to get on the ball with this. Yanmar needs some competition and this could be it.

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
dmaxalliTech;1600016; said:
Not a huge boat expert, but the boat I owned a few years back had a p/s pump on it, used it for....steering controls.

I dunno what the larger boats use or anything, but its a generic engine right now. Target consumer is the boat OEMs that will install it in production units.
More companies are going to strictly hydraulic setups and will use alternative pump setups to get the power steering pumps off the motors now. Race boat applications are perfect examples of this. They have a pump setup not run by the motors and a resovoir for the fluids.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts