Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I had my head gaskets replaced by a shop. I have noticed a knocking or a ticking sound from the engine around 1700-2000 rpm. It is not noticeable at the other rpm ranges. It definitely gets louder when I am working the engine hard towing in those rpms. I have owned this truck since it was new and I know it didn’t make this sound before the head gasket job. It sounds like it is on the driver’s side and it is rpm related and seems like it is just one cylinder. This was a highly recommended shop that is known for duramax head gasket jobs. Any thoughts on what might be causing this noise?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hmm, not too much response. Maybe I just don't like change, but this forum was "renovated" and I don't see nearly as much activity as I use to.

Since I believe the lifters are solid, it seems possible the valve lash isn't correct on one of them. Since it was done by a shop, I would take it back let them listen to it, and see if they'll recheck the gaps.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jake,
I agree. It's been awhile since I last logged in and I thought I was on the wrong forum. I don't like change either.

I was thinking a valve lash isn't at 0.012" also. Any idea how much a dealer would charge to adjust the valves? Is there any chance that an injector could be the issue? What do I risk by just letting it go?

·
Registered
98 Posts
The RPM range you describe sounds like a fuel knock. Mine does that particularly with winter fuel. At 2k RPM it stops as if someone threw a switch. I read on this forum it may be a malfunction with the pilot injection which is an emissions or NVH strategy whereby the injector shoots extra fuel just before the regular injection cycle. Dirty injectors prevent the pilot ignition from working properly. Maybe a good idea to confirm the fuel injector connectors are firmly attached on the left bank too.
If I throw in about 3 0z. of 2 stroke oil with a fill up, silence ensues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts