Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to steal thunder from someone else, but I wanted to get this over here as quick as possible.

At TDP, WI Huck posted......

"I called my friendly dealer today to get pricing on a 2004. I asked him to check into the supposed new Duramax LLY. He got back to me and did confirm that there was a LLY option, but it was a detuned (210 HP) version of the current LB7 that is intended for municipalities that do not need, or want 300 HP. As of today, there is still no “new” or “updated” Duramax engine available."

What do you think guys?

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
We got anough par! 430+ flywheel is enough for me.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Commercial vehicles and non-commercial vehicles will differ. The last I heard, and from a very reputable source, the new engine will make 320 hp and 565 tq

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dmaxalliTech,

I know this is being beat to death, but considering how relatively close we are to this new engine coming out, it makes me anxious.

Do you think the redesigned injector placement makes it worth it to hold out for an LLY? How about 25 extra ponies? Will the EGR sabatoge this? I notice you have an '03. Did you know about the LLY when you ordered your rig? Thank you for your assistance.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
bowtie, The LLY option was not even heard off to the public, I didnt know about it either when I got my truck.. I got mine last August, was the first 03 diesel in the area.

The redesigns were done for obvious and not so obvious reasons. Obvious to get the injectors external to prevent any more fuel in oil problems. Not obvious, emmisions.. The egr and cat will meet 06 emissions standards for Diesel engines, same reason fd went to 6.0

As with anything first year, I have some questions, but time will tell on the quality of the engine

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dmaxalliTech,

Thanks for your response. I guess it works out nice, they refine the injectors, take care or the emissions for the enviro's, and also catch up to the Ford numbers in the process.

I will probably order my truck with the LB7 and enjoy the fact that there are 3 years of experience with the engine.

Thanks again.
Bob

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To play devil's advocate, isn't this cat/EGR the same system the Cali trucks have been running for awhile??

Bob

·
Registered
845 Posts
I heard that the engine wont have the full 560 or whatever torque its rated at in 1st gear or 5th gear....Worthless if you ask me...those are the two gears I want full power So unless you need 560 ft lbs of torque in 2-3-4, its for you. Guess the Alli is coming into play with the power increase(obviously)

Bill

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not sure what I'm talking about, but is it possible that the new Dmax will make the new hp at a higher RPM, with the Allison allowing it to rev further to reach the new numbers. In 1st and 5th at the lower RPM's, the power would be the same. Just a lil theory from someone who doesn't know what he's talking about. ;-)

Bob

Regardless, Saturday I will go in and do the paperwork on the truck. LB7 here I come.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Why would GM stop at 320 hp, when Ford is at 325? Makes no sense I tell you!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I have to post on this,

We are all falling into the trap the automakers want us too. Like bees to honey...Every year they come up with something that will add or make another 5 hp or 10 ftlbs of TQ more. Sometimes they brag we got 5hp over the Other guy. Would you really notice 5 hp more than Ford? would you even notice 5 hp more at any level..Serious doubt it.....
Every year people pay THOUSANDS to have the best and the "Top of the Line" forgetting all the while what you buy today will not be the best tomorrow. There are some advantages(and disadvantages) to the next years model. It all depends on what you like or dislike. Trying to acheive the best or the most is a tail you will chase forever. While you lose tons of cash pursuing it, the automakers make millions selling it to you.

My point being this, You will read tons of stuff on the internet. Buy what suits your needs, not the hype. Unless I am wrong here and people have endless supplies of cash to be top dog...LOL. I was told that the 2001 trucks were junk and that they are problem prone and so on. However to date my truck has suited my needs perfectly. I say the newer they get the more complicated they become and the cost goes up and up.

Look at some of the new GMC stuff coming out, Electronically controlled shocks...Can you imagine the cost when one of those goes out...They are great when you first get them but............

Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
149 Posts
Duramax Dually, I couldn't agree more !!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I used to be a Bee..! But I'm alright now
- Buzzzz, buzzzzz

·
Registered
490 Posts
Fuel in oil? Has anyone had this problem? Is it that much of a problem that it warrants an engine redesign?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pick,

That is what I am concerned about. I really wouldn't fret much about 25 extra ponies, but if there was an inherent design flaw that was being addressed, I might be more interested.

Bob

·
Registered
448 Posts
Pick,

Many many people have had fuel in the oil, as well as leaking injector cup seals, antifreeze in oil. As is the injectors are a real PIA to change. I think there buried to reduce noise. Having them external to the head, like most other designs, would make them easier to service. As is they seem to not be lasting the like of the engine and are very expensive to change.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Bowtie,

I took delivery of an '04 3500 today. It has the "old" engine. I heard about the new one in enough time to cancel my order but went ahead after considering the major gain was the external injectors. I can make more power in level 2 juice and I don't have to deal with a cat, a EGR system and a new design to fuss with. I was very pleased with the performance of my '01 2500HD so this should be a good ride too.

My 2c anyhoo.

Bob

·
Registered
38 Posts
I made several phone calls today to no less than 12 dealers in the Kansas City area. I am looking to buy a 2004, but I too, am wondering if I should wait or not for the LLY to come out, if it is going to come out at all.

Results:

8 dealers/service depts. had not heard of the change and did not have any bulletins to say otherwise.

3 dealers/service depts had "heard" of the LLY modification. Each, though, had heard different things on just what would be changed. Only one was confident that the changes would all be positive.

1 dealer/service dept. stated that the engine had been discussed at the corporate level, but that plans had not been instituted and that the engine will not change for at least another model year or two.

One dealer will call me later on in the week after he talks with his regional GM representative. He believes that this rep most likely will know if some changes are imminent or not.

It would appear that the engine might not be in production anytime soon. I am hopeful that the regional rep will have a honest and knowledgeable answer. I cetainly do not want to spend 40,000 plus right now IF a better engine is just around the corner.

Joe

Edited by: 99mo

·
Registered
27 Posts
With an Allison it is next to impossible to use full throttle hp in 5th gear. The trans will either downshift or your going too fast anyway. The loss of 20 hp in first isn't that big of a deal. 3rd and 4th are where I would use the hp the most.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts