Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Silverado 3500 duramax lly
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 2005 Silverado Duramax LLY. The LLY runs fine when cold and on non interstate driving. After 15 miles of interstate driving it starts blowing Blacksmoke. If I get off the interstate and get on the engine hard and blow out the issue it seems to run fine. The problem goes in and out Only after interstate driving.
Also for sometime now I’ve been losing coolant from the reservoir overflow hose. It gets down to a certain level and stops losing fluid. I top it off periodically when I noticed the temperature rising towards 210°. Truck never overheats.
Thanks for any help or advice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should add to my post that this LLY has 220,000 miles, no programer, I am the original owner, I’ve replaced the water pump and radiator long before this issue. Let me know if there’s anything I’ve left out that would help. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also might add that after adding coolant to the system topping it off the system quickly gets rid of 3/4 of a gallon and then stays at that point slowly losing coolant as Running time goes on.

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
Have you checked for any codes?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes a couple of hundred miles and a few black smoke incidents ago. My friend has a scanner. I got a P0101, 299, 670. I will drive there now for a rescan to see what pops up. Thanks

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
(y)
Lots of info on the P0101 and other codes if you use the Community search function located at the top of the screen.
Here is one example: P0101 Trouble

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I greatly appreciate your response. I just re-scanned and still have a P0101 and a P0670. I erased and re-scanned again with the same results. I’ll read up now on the lead you gave me. Thanks again, have a great day.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I read the posts. I did clean my mass airflow sensor yesterday with throddle body linkage cleaner. Should I be cleaning it with a mass airflow sensor cleaner? Perhaps change the sensor or is there a way to check it? Thanks

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
I read the posts. I did clean my mass airflow sensor yesterday with throddle body linkage cleaner. Should I be cleaning it with a mass airflow sensor cleaner? Perhaps change the sensor or is there a way to check it? Thanks
I would clean it with Mass airflow cleaner only. Other solvents may damage the sensor.
if you replace the sensor be sure to use AC/Delco parts only.

Do you have the stock air filter or an aftermarket?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Everything is stock.
How will I know if it’s time to switch the sensor? Can it de tested? Thanks

·
Administrator
16,326 Posts
Everything is stock.
How will I know if it’s time to switch the sensor? Can it de tested? Thanks
You would need a scanner that can read live data to monitor the MAF.
This video can give you some info:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Turbo problem? Pull off the inlet and see if it spins free.

·
Registered
323 Posts
My 2005 LLY was losing coolant from the overflow hose while driving and it turned out to be head gaskets. You can search multiple threads on the board about how to test and confirm for this issue. Good luck to you!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts