Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear a lot of grumblings in other forumns about LLY's overheating and people getting crappy milage. I have never had an issue but am curious who has. I have towed 10,000lbs up a 6% grade and never overheated or had the fan come on. I typically get aroun 18-20mpg driving normal, if I drive like grandpa I get better milage.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think the vast majority of LLY owners are extremely happy with their trucks. We just seem to hear about the few that have had problems more often because a forum is where we go to help find solutions.
There just aren't enough posts titled," My truck is still running great".:D

I have had an excellent experience with the LLY.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
same with me i love my truck but when you read all the overheating concerns you worry i personaly have never had the problem but i
dont haul real heavy loads big as i pull is approx 10000lbs and no problem

·
Registered
758 Posts
everyone hears me on here complaining about my overheating lly. for the most part, 99% of the time i love the truck and its does a great job of pulling what most people would pull. i think what most people here do not understand is pulling 12,000 to 14,000 lbs up 7 to 8 percent grades for 12 to 14 mile runs. yes the truck will pull this load great running down the interstate with mild hills and high temps outside. i think the big difference is at high elevation climbing hills with gas pedal floored to do 30 mph. i strongly believe every lly will overheat just 99% of the people will never meet the right conditions. i would still recommend a lly to any of my friends because i know they will never work it as hard as i do. i just expect when gm says it will pull 14,000 lbs it should do it regardless of outside temp, elevation or mountain passes. my lb7 does it flawless.

·
Registered
93 Posts
everyone hears me on here complaining about my overheating lly. for the most part, 99% of the time i love the truck and its does a great job of pulling what most people would pull. i think what most people here do not understand is pulling 12,000 to 14,000 lbs up 7 to 8 percent grades for 12 to 14 mile runs. yes the truck will pull this load great running down the interstate with mild hills and high temps outside. i think the big difference is at high elevation climbing hills with gas pedal floored to do 30 mph. i strongly believe every lly will overheat just 99% of the people will never meet the right conditions. i would still recommend a lly to any of my friends because i know they will never work it as hard as i do. i just expect when gm says it will pull 14,000 lbs it should do it regardless of outside temp, elevation or mountain passes. my lb7 does it flawless.
I agree. On the other hand, I do not understand why someone would spend the money on a diesel if they are not going to tow a heavy load. There are too many other options.

I personally have not been happy with my LLY. I bought this truck from a private party 2 months ago for one purpose only and that was to tow. I don't think the clutch fan should come on during the winter months on basically flat land. I am concerned with the summer comming, but I have faith that the brains on this site will come to our rescue with a fix. There is talk that GM is working on a fix, which is good news if it is true, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm another satisfied owner! No overheating towing and getting 21 mpg hiway unloaded. I can hardly wait 'til I get rid of the kitty!

·
Registered
29 Posts
mostly satisfied

I have overheated my truck once. Pulling around #15,000 up hill but the incline I have no idea. My milege is around 14 if i run 70-75 unloaded and 9-11 loaded. I have gotten 16 miles to the gallon running 55. But my truck is a 3500 dually and I did not expect great milege.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Never overheated mine either. Have grossed out at 21660# and pulled steep short hills on back roads in Maine. Love the truck

·
Registered
35 Posts
mines never overheated either. not much for hills here though...mileage could be better!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I love my Truck also. Never overheated pulling a 14,000 lb 5th wheel. Mileage could be better, but never had a problem towing. That's what I bought it for. My truck has no modifications done to it, completely stock.:grd: :ro)

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Never overheated here either. I have never even heard the fan kick on. Have pulled about 8500lbs up and down every mountain range from Alabama through New York at 80 mph. I have not been easy on the truck while pulling. I work it. I couldnt have had a better 40,000 miles.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Didn't really care for the lly compared to the performance of the lb7 I had. My latest mods have changed my feelings.BS,BP, Cat Delete really seemed to help the MPG and really dropped EGT. Not the MPG of the lb7. Now lly running empty getting 18's on the highway works for me. We will be making a run to Denver this weekend at speed. I am interested to see how it does in the 75 to 80 MPH range.

·
Registered
221 Posts
my mileage is 15.5 to 16 unloaded

·
Registered
682 Posts
I Have Never Had A Problem With Mine . Have Abt 12,900 On The Tounge Weight With The Travel Trailer. Fan Never Runs Or At Least I Never Hear It.
But After Driving That Ih Dump Truck Every Day, Even A Ford Sd Would Seem Nice To Me...

Arm

·
Registered
472 Posts
I loved my truck 90% of the time but the 10% that I overheated it was hell.Chevy will laugh at you and tell you they neverheard nothing about overheating and your the first one bla bla bla. I got upset and got a lawyer .my mpg was pretty good 18 empty and 10 loaded 11,600lb trailer

·
Registered
489 Posts
12/14 around town have gotten 19/20 solo on a trip.Towing this fiver 8/10.
I do Overheat, belive it happens.That fan does roar a lot.I think we sould have a shoot out at the Grape Vine I5, Baker Grade I15 or going to Mono lake on the rt395.
I just cant see how there can be these differences in these engins.all parts are machined the same way yeah??

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I overheated mine once, on a hill that would have cooked my gasser too...We just need to learn our limitations and keep our feet out of the go pedal just a little. Love my truck, I just can't seem to be able to get it serviced at any dealers around my home...They all SUCK

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hear a lot of grumblings in other forumns about LLY's overheating and people getting crappy milage. I have never had an issue but am curious who has. I have towed 10,000lbs up a 6% grade and never overheated or had the fan come on. I typically get aroun 18-20mpg driving normal, if I drive like grandpa I get better milage.

Anyone else?
yeah my fan comes on all the time any cure?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.