Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took delivery of my new 2500HD LS 4/4 LLY Duramax yesterday. This is my first experience with a diesel. It has been suggested that I should carry a spare fuel filter and know how to change it. Also I have been told that new LLY takes a different fuel filter than the previous Duramax. My dealer wants $91 to change a fuel filter this sounds excessive but then I'm a newbie. When your driving the Cadillac of trucks I guess you should expect to pay. Any comments?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Change it yourself. Anyone can do it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Has anyone posted any specs on this new LLY filter yet. It sounds like it is a little bigger, but are there any characteristics that make it superior to the LB7 filter? (Like scratch the grey paint off it and see it is a CAT filter like Nick's!!!!
)

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
The local service manager said he would call me when they received the first new truck. I will post a photo. Later! Frank

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Do yourself a big favor and bolt the nictane filter on it.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Would that new filter fit on the LB7? It sure looks like it would...

Still, a Nicktane is the way to go...

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Get a good filter wrench, the Dmax supplemental owners manual and changing it yourself should be no big deal. Check the DIY section here on this site. There are some pic. articles. As far as the new filter fitting the LB7? It is said to be one inch longer and may hit the valve cover? As far as fuel filtering effeciancys? If we have all learned one thing, the only way to know what is going on is to do a fuel sample test. This is the only way to tell if the new filter is any better or maybe worse?
I would spend the money on a fuel test before I spent the money on a secondary filter.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Racor told me the filter media is the same as the stuff on the LB7 filter, just a little more of it. It's my understanding that the new filter will not fit the LB7 because it's about an inch longer, but the LB7 filter will fit the LLY.

IIRC, I think one of the techs said something about the LLY filters are not yet available from GM?

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
If the longer filter hits the engine on the LB7, maybe all is needed is a spacer on the mount to move it away from the engine.

I have not much faith in a larger OEM unit so I don't think I'll be persuing it myself.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I measured a filter on the LLY the other night at the dealer. It appears to be 3/4 inch longer than the one on the LB7. I think using it on the LB7 would present a problem because there is very little clearance at the bottom of that filter without adding any length to it.

on edit: it appears that the air condition line is moved on the LLY as is the turbo intercooler line. No need to use the great modification that dmaxalliTech wrote up.Edited by: LARSONEM

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
LARSONEM said:
it appears that the air condition line is moved on the LLY as is the turbo intercooler line. No need to use the great modification that dmaxalliTech wrote up.

It also looks like the fuel lines are turned down and may be more interference for the strap wrench on the cartridge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts