Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just about finished up all the research I need to finally make a purchase for a 2004 2500HD when I came across a thread on another website that pertains to a "improved" Duramax Diesel. Supposedly will be out early next year. I called the dealer who was not able to answer if the motor was an improvement on the current one, let alone if it was true at all. Does anyone know where to find out if this LLY version is indeed being brought into production soon? I imagine GM does not want everyone to find out when it will be out just yet IF it is indeed an improvement, as sales would probably slow right now(I would wait if it is better). Any known advantages vs. disadvantages as compared to the current LB7?

·
Registered
170 Posts
After months of preparing, I will be ordering my truck next week. However, I am still curious about LLY. I have decided that more than likely the EGR and emissions will balance out any increase in numbers we might see. Also, the power is supposed to be available only in 2nd-4th. My only concern is the improved injector design. Is the current design really that bad? I saw one place where it was said the LB7 will not go 100,000 without needing injector work?? Bottom line---I won't wait because of power rumors, but.....is the LB7 injectors/design bad enough to warrant waiting??

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
It's not injector design as far as I know as much as it is head casting redesign. The valve cover will have "U" shaped areas where the injectors go in the head. The valve cover goes around the injectors so you don't have to remove the valve cover to service the injectors.

Also word that the injector cups go away and the injectors self seal. Not sure if the injectors themselves will have modifications for this feature.

This will reduce the cost of service in the event that you do need injectors removed. The price of injectors is coming down and the servicability is getting easier.

Sounds good to me.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
THAT DON'T DO ANY OF THE PRE 04 DURAMAX OWNERS ANYGOOD

GENO

1 - 7 of 7 Posts