Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a coolant leak from the back of the engine it's not the adapter plate or anything from the egr or the heater hoses I can see it dripping onto the down pipe I'm new to this site any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
17,760 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
Please tell us a little more about your truck ( Year, Make, and Model) and list any mods
(y)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and thank you for the quick response my truck is a 2005 gmc 2500hd 4x4 engine is completely stock other than doing the pcv reroute and resonator delete it's got 220k miles

·
Administrator
17,760 Posts
Hello and thank you for the quick response my truck is a 2005 gmc 2500hd 4x4 engine is completely stock other than doing the pcv reroute and resonator delete it's got 220k miles
My guess is the rear coolant block off plate

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked out the video it's not that plate it's leaking from above because it running off of the down pipe.

·
Administrator
17,760 Posts
If it's not the blockoff plate, heater hose then try looking in the valley of the motor around the Turbo and see if you have coolant laying in the valley

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I apologize for the delay. I looked in the valley it does look really brown/rust color but not wet and might be from the 1 owner on this truck had the manifold pulled at the dealership to check for possible head gasket but it turned out to be a hose if I remember correctly. It will start to smoke or steam about 3min after I start it ill leave the block plugged in over night to get a pic in the morning.

·
Administrator
17,760 Posts
I apologize for the delay. I looked in the valley it does look really brown/rust color but not wet and might be from the 1 owner on this truck had the manifold pulled at the dealership to check for possible head gasket but it turned out to be a hose if I remember correctly. It will start to smoke or steam about 3min after I start it ill leave the block plugged in over night to get a pic in the morning.
The next thing you'll need to do is to pressurize the coolant system to help chase the leak down and locate it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello again I have a few pics of the leak it foams up when the motor is running then burns away when it's turned off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The foam is visible in the 2nd pic kinda looks like cotton pulled apart that's in between the thin gasket and the exhaust manifold.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Check for coolant in the valley of manifold. could be small hose under thermostat leaking into valley and coming out on back of manifold.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Administrator
17,760 Posts
Could it be a head gasket ?
Possible, but I'm not seeing any soot around the gasket, only the coolant foam.
Check that area member Captain-A mentions and see what you find
(y)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts