Diesel Place banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
50000 on mine only problems were the steering shaft and heater resistor which the dealer fixed with no aurgument. no overheating or pump rub issues yet ,knock on wood.I love the truck and drive it anyweres from 50 to 150 miles daily

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a stock 04.5 LLY. I live in New England. It has 160000 on it and I use it to plow every winter. I've NEVER had a problem with it other than rotted out brake lines due to winter road salt. LOVE my truck. I don't beat on it and it steers with one finger even with the plow on. Vehicles are vehicles and people are people. Some people think the glass is half full some thing otherwise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
you might just have a piece of junk,
my 05 lly just hit 215,000, after that many miles, ive done the intermediate shaft because it was showing signs of wear, and the head gasket started t leak, but then again for 100k of that ive been running a moderate tune. every piece of machinery has is issues. don't blame things like the shafts on the truck, because all of the trucks use the same shaft.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I put 300,000 mi on stock LLY before moving to mini-max. Nothing more than normal wear and tear. Water pump, starter, brake and fuel lines and of course replace front end parts at about each 120,000. Don’t abuse it, reliable and economical truck.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
LLY No real problems

4.5 w 108750 original miles....typical stearing shaft clunk, no OH problems but it did like to turn on the heater in the middle of summer at random times dealer replaced that blower actuator. Regular 10k mile oil and filter changes. I have run B100 for over 10 years now. Just recently replaced my serp belt, coolant, thermostats and rad hoses not bc it needed it but bc I thought it was time (14 years). Leaky filter head primer pump rebuilt and recently noticed a leak of the stearing box shaft seal I'll probably rebuilt it myself. Pesky headliner is starting to fall down along the front edge. Just replaced my second set of seat covers and noticed the drivers side seat cushion is falling apart. I love this truck. But my next vehicle will be a Tesla. I'll keep the truck for towing the boat of course.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello
This is my first jumping in to this forum. I have been lurking arround in the background for a while. I may have solutions for the overheating issues on a LLY Duramax. Check this out.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Yes, the turbo inlet duct (mouthpiece) should be changed to an aftermarket one, or one from the LBZ.
Yes, the stack must be clean and the fan clutch must work.
Yes, he's right, don't go putting on something that blocks the air flow.
But it will still overheat.

You need a separate cooling stream, not just a bigger radiator. The best air stream is captured below the stock radiator. The video suggests a oil cooler. The other option is an aux radiator; search engineer837 for that system. I don't know about how effective the oil cooler setup is (although I like the idea), but the aux radiator has generally been considered the best solution (and it works!!).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, the turbo inlet duct (mouthpiece) should be changed to an aftermarket one, or one from the LBZ.
Yes, the stack must be clean and the fan clutch must work.
Yes, he's right, don't go putting on something that blocks the air flow.
But it will still overheat.

You need a separate cooling stream, not just a bigger radiator. The best air stream is captured below the stock radiator. The video suggests a oil cooler. The other option is an aux radiator; search engineer837 for that system. I don't know about how effective the oil cooler setup is (although I like the idea), but the aux radiator has generally been considered the best solution (and it works!!).
How and where do you mount (put) this aux radiator? Where can you buy one of those? How would a aluminium radiator be compared to a oem radiator?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
The original aux radiator was made by TxChristopher (or TxChris or TxC, as you like) around 10-14 years ago. It was a very nice kit, and is no longer available. The only kit I know about now is made by engineer837 (coolertowing dot com). My TxC system sprang a leak after about 13 years so I now have the kit from engineer837 (Joe). It's a little more work to install but many of us have done it. I had this thread last year: Source for TxC V2 Aux Radiator Replacement? where at first I was looking for a replacement radiator for the TxC system, then got Joe's kit.

The aux radiator mounts under the stock radiator, behind the front bumper, at an angle (45 degrees or so?). The radiator hose across the bottom is cut about in 1/2, with one side feeding into the aux radiator, and the other from the aux radiator to the water pump. If done properly, you could re-couple the radiator hoses if the aux radiator suffered a catastrophic failure, even on the road (haven't heard of this ever happening). The airflow to this radiator is kept separate from the airflow to the main radiator. If you read my thread you'll see that I cut some extra holes in the bumper plastic and built a deflector on the bottom to (hopefully) scoop air up through the aux radiator.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts