Diesel Place banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
117K and have never had and over heat issue. I tow a goose neck with 15k on it and several other trailers. As for fan noise, well it won't cool the engine if its not making noise.

Greg

I never had any problems.......I just made it all up.....:) It was the absolute best truck I ever had.. I towed tractor trailers up over the summitt and it never even got the slightest bit warm... It had so much power stock it spun all 4 rear tires all thru the gears.. ... Hey guys its all good.. I have been reading thru all the old threads on this site.. it seems way back in 2004 some if not most people said there trucks never overheated.. maybe we should start a new thread on how many people have overheated their lly's not how many have not.. Honestly.. dont know why people have to take offense to others that have had their trucks overheat and leave them sitting on the side of the road. Thats not very fun with a wife and infant in the vehicle. And I have said many times... mine was a LEMON. not just with overheating either.. All manufactuers have lemons.. Ford had many "lemon" 6.0's that were bought back. Not sure about the cummins. It all boils down to whatever you like.. buy it, enjoy it then hope its not a lemon.

just my opinion and personal experience with my 2005, maybe most of the lly's were the best..

·
Registered
100 Posts
wow djdave let it go man, I just looked at all your posts, and 99 percent of them are overheating threads. That sucks that you got a lemon, but overheating empty is a very very rare thing that I have never heard of before. have they checked thermostats, water pump, or possibly a plugged radiator. sounds like I would try a different dealer with a certified diesel tech.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I never had any problems.......I just made it all up.....:) It was the absolute best truck I ever had.. I towed tractor trailers up over the summitt and it never even got the slightest bit warm... It had so much power stock it spun all 4 rear tires all thru the gears.. ... Hey guys its all good.. I have been reading thru all the old threads on this site.. it seems way back in 2004 some if not most people said there trucks never overheated.. maybe we should start a new thread on how many people have overheated their lly's not how many have not.. Honestly.. dont know why people have to take offense to others that have had their trucks overheat and leave them sitting on the side of the road. Thats not very fun with a wife and infant in the vehicle. And I have said many times... mine was a LEMON. not just with overheating either.. All manufactuers have lemons.. Ford had many "lemon" 6.0's that were bought back. Not sure about the cummins. It all boils down to whatever you like.. buy it, enjoy it then hope its not a lemon.

just my opinion and personal experience with my 2005, maybe most of the lly's were the best..

When I found out my truck was an overheater I was livid and hated my truck and felt just like you. I swore I would fight it till the end and have GM buy back my truck. I did exactly like you are doing right now(venting) and I pissed a lot of people off on this board as well. I learned to just accept the fact that not everyone will put themselvs in a position to overheat their lly trucks. You just come accross very soured and some people here take it as you want them to feel the same way about their truck. Trust me man I feel your pain. I went through it all with GM and finally caved in like so many people here and paid for the fix. It was a smart move. My truck is a gem now and I love the way it performs. These trucks are towing machines.

It sucks that some of us have the problems when towing but it's not worth getting all worked up over it when there is a fix for it. Believe me, it took a long time to feel that way. Go ahead and vent but do it in a way that doesn't get personal with others. I have had over forty cars and trucks and some of them had their share of problems. Good luck with your dealings with GM.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
wow djdave let it go man, I just looked at all your posts, and 99 percent of them are overheating threads. That sucks that you got a lemon, but overheating empty is a very very rare thing that I have never heard of before. have they checked thermostats, water pump, or possibly a plugged radiator. sounds like I would try a different dealer with a certified diesel tech.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with you.:D

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hi dmx05,

I have had that truck to 6 different dealers in 2 states.. they did a lot of things to it and a lot more tests. I think the problem was the dealers really did not know what to look for or do with it.. They usually said its normal, they run hot.. , they are all that way.. , no issues foiund at this time. can not duplicate etc.one decent dealer here in western pa and a few good dealers in florida thou.. they at least aknowledged the problems and attempted repairs. Overheating yes that was the biggest problem but power steering was bad also.. I kept losing power assist just like the engine was turned off or a belt broke.. the pump would sound like it was going into bypass and it would lose all assist. I started having problems at 1600 miles and i have a stack of repair orders over an inch thick..

·
Registered
248 Posts
When I found out my truck was an overheater I was livid and hated my truck and felt just like you. I swore I would fight it till the end and have GM buy back my truck. I did exactly like you are doing right now(venting) and I pissed a lot of people off on this board as well. I learned to just accept the fact that not everyone will put themselvs in a position to overheat their lly trucks. You just come accross very soured and some people here take it as you want them to feel the same way about their truck. Trust me man I feel your pain. I went through it all with GM and finally caved in like so many people here and paid for the fix. It was a smart move. My truck is a gem now and I love the way it performs. These trucks are towing machines.

It sucks that some of us have the problems when towing but it's not worth getting all worked up over it when there is a fix for it. Believe me, it took a long time to feel that way. Go ahead and vent but do it in a way that doesn't get personal with others. I have had over forty cars and trucks and some of them had their share of problems. Good luck with your dealings with GM.

Hi turbobruce..

I know I was venting in the past but i am over that stage now.. I honestly did not come on here try to piss people off. That truck is gone now so I am a happy camper.. I did like the truck except for the problems.. I have had mostly gm's all my life and never had a bad one like that. If I would have kept the truck I would have gotten the fixes for it. The few g's would have been less then the tax on the new one.. Its all good now.. The new one is problemfree so far.. but not as nice looking as the old one..in my opinion anyhow..

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hi turbobruce..

I know I was venting in the past but i am over that stage now.. I honestly did not come on here try to piss people off. That truck is gone now so I am a happy camper.. I did like the truck except for the problems.. I have had mostly gm's all my life and never had a bad one like that. If I would have kept the truck I would have gotten the fixes for it. The few g's would have been less then the tax on the new one.. Its all good now.. The new one is problemfree so far.. but not as nice looking as the old one..in my opinion anyhow..
Good deal, time to start enjoying the new one.:)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hey again turbobruce?

Did you ever try for the buyback? If you did what did they do for you?

thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hey again turbobruce?

Did you ever try for the buyback? If you did what did they do for you?

thanks,
Dave

I started it and and lost my patience so I just decided to fix it myself. Gm was fully prepared to fight me on it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I started mine a few times the first was back in july 2006, it was 10 months old then. I also lost my patience and had some other things come up. I put it away for the winter then in may I got stuck on the side of the road twice.. Went thru more dealer"fixes" and promises then in dec started things again.. And your right they fight you all the way..

·
Registered
274 Posts
04.5 , 98,000 of trailer pulling ,snow plowing and basic hard driving .change the oil every 3000 ,fuel filter every other oil change ,trans filters every 20,000 double dose of staydyne each fill up . only repair that was not normal maintance was the front wheel bearings at 75,000 . when this truck is wore out ill try to find a 04.5 lly thats been hiding in some old mans garage before i buy a new one

·
Registered
8 Posts
wow i guess my 04.5lly is part of a rare breed 128k and only few small probs the i repair in minutes, my friends have newer cummins nothing but probs other buddy on third power stroke engine in four months ford will not honor lemon law with a f450 they said anything over a 350 is strickly comercial.. i own a fabrication buiss and tow a 34' stacker with three long travel sandcars pulling hills all day long and wouldent do it in any other truck!!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Yeah, we all get the point. Some OH, some don't. Some have problems, some don't. Both sides deserve credit for cryin' out loud!!!! I really feel bad for the guy who has to spend 1 minute at the dealer or can't drive his $40,000+ truck because it won't work right. I have had no problems with mine under severe service for 2 years, but obviously some have....leave this **** alone and go drink a beer and start some new discussions!!!:duh::banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

Who ever said you were making it up? You make it sound as if all were junk and they are not. If you have a bad I'm sorry for that. You can always get rid of it.

Greg

·
Registered
98 Posts
110k on mine and going strong. Just doing regular maint. No overheating issue, although I'm going to do the airbox mod. Need to do the steering shaft. No complaints.

I'm very happy with my purchase. I understand where the guy with the bad one is coming from, however, it's not COMMON. Most the common issues on these trucks aren't that big of a deal. Every brand has their problems. In my opinion if you want a 3/4-1ton diesel the GM is going to be your best bet.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
42000 on my 04 LLY & no problems at all. I pull a boat & a full size camping trailer. I love it!! I don't think it is an LLY issue. Some times you just are unlucky enough to get a rig with some issues.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I ain't had a problem with my rig either, its been a great rig....other then when my boy tried to jump a curb and dented the tranny pan cutting off line pressure and causing me a ton of headaches other than that a flawless truck lol

61 - 80 of 89 Posts