Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to look at a 2004 LLY tomarrow and am wondering if there is anything specific I need to look for or listen to while i'm looking at it. I was also wondering what is the common problems these trucks have? I have read a little on the overheating issue and I have seen alot of people who have posted on needing to replace head gaskets. Is this something that fails on the lly's often? Thanks for any info or help.

Jesse

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
no

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm going to look at a 2004 LLY tomorrow and am wondering if there is anything specific I need to look for or listen to while i'm looking at it. I was also wondering what is the common problems these trucks have? I have read a little on the overheating issue and I have seen alot of people who have posted on needing to replace head gaskets. Is this something that fails on the lly's often? Thanks for any info or help.

Jesse
I just bought the same a few months back with 40K miles, not sure what this one you are look at has.

I had to change shocks, old ones were shot, the intermediate steering rattle was bad, I also fixed that through info here in this forum, I checked for the Harness rub, common by the alternator bracket, I was okay.

That is the only issues I have had to deal with thus far, old owner had just changed all fluids so I was goo there.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Better check the rear of the 4X4 transfer case-- problems with "Pump Rub" where it wears into the housing and then leaks-- Cost a few $$$ for repairs.:D

Reactions: opfor2

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm going to look at a 2004 LLY tomarrow and am wondering if there is anything specific I need to look for or listen to while i'm looking at it. I was also wondering what is the common problems these trucks have? I have read a little on the overheating issue and I have seen alot of people who have posted on needing to replace head gaskets. Is this something that fails on the lly's often? Thanks for any info or help.

Jesse
I wouldnt buy an lly.. lots of overheating issues and lots of fan noise..

·
Registered
275 Posts
i love mine. whats the harness rub issue?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I would like mine also, if it didnt overheat, or if I could steer it when going slow or parking lot type manuvers. If the engine fan didnt make more noise (volume) then the bose factory radio or if the steering intermediate shaft would last longer then a few thousand miles without the (fix) of a lube.. I guess my truck is wore out with 21750 miles on it thou. Treat it right? I have never had mine out in the snow ever and actually it has not been out of the garage for the last 60 days.. Im afraid to drive it..

·
Registered
333 Posts
I find these comments interesting, I believe the over heating issue is rare (Check Threads on subject plus GM has fix and Cool my Dmax has fix for 60.00), loud fan .. who cares as it really keeps truck running cool.

I have 05 - dmax, 56000 trouble free miles, of which 20000 is pulling 20' car trailer thru mountains in 110* heat of northern CA. never an issue. Only complaint is steer column clunk. My GMC dealer says last good D-Max build was the LLY.... that should open a can of worms...LOL

·
Registered
248 Posts
I find these comments interesting, I believe the over heating issue is rare (Check Threads on subject plus GM has fix and Cool my Dmax has fix for 60.00), loud fan .. who cares as it really keeps truck running cool.

I have 05 - dmax, 56000 trouble free miles, of which 20000 is pulling 20' car trailer thru mountains in 110* heat of northern CA. never an issue. Only complaint is steer column clunk. My GMC dealer says last good D-Max build was the LLY.... that should open a can of worms...LOL
I fing your comments INTERESTING
Im glad you never had a problem.. wish that we were all that lucky with ours.. My chevy dealer says all the lly's were problems..

·
Registered
248 Posts

LOL Anyways in my opinion I think the lly is the worst of the duramax.. mine has 21000 miles and sits in the garage.. Its been nothing but troubles.. from the first week untill now its been back to the dealer 24 times.. And its "HAD THE GM FIX" for the overheat problem guess what it still overheats.. pulling a lawn mower trailer. up thru the mountians of pa. But I guess I am beating mine up, mine is going bye bye soon anyways.. maybe this will stir up a little bigger can of worms..

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
My LLY is the no question best vehicle I've ever owned. No overheating problems, or any other kind of problem. Steering shaft clunk is the only complaint in 70,000K miles.

Bad luck. Get rid of it and buy a Titan.

·
Registered
248 Posts
My LLY is the no question best vehicle I've ever owned. No overheating problems, or any other kind of problem. Steering shaft clunk is the only complaint in 70,000K miles.

I think I will get a cummins this time.. or maybe a 2008 duramax.. Im not sure yet.

·
Registered
333 Posts

X2

·
Registered
333 Posts
I think I will get a cummins this time.. or maybe a 2008 duramax.. Im not sure yet.
I really do hope you have better luck, I've owned vehicles that were a pain in the a$$ and went back to dealer many times .... all you want it to have it gone.

Good Luck on your search.

·
Registered
894 Posts
If OH is your big problem why don't you just buy the V2 and end it for good?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The only problem I had with mine was power steering pump when brand new and one overheating problem. I pul a 12,000 lb. plus fifth whel

·
Registered
248 Posts
If OH is your big problem why don't you just buy the V2 and end it for good?

If overheating was the only problem I might do that. But thats just the start of my problems with the truck.. Mine only has 21k miles and is still under bumper to bumper warranty. being its been back to the dealers so many times its going for the lemon law. Were not talking squeeks and rattles here... lol Im talking Major defects.. Like a few members posted on here sometimes a truck has so many issues with it that its like I cant wait to get rid of the pos..Honestly would anyone of you guys want a truck that starts to oh unloaded going up a hill on a warm day? Even with that engine cooling fan roaring most of the time.. Mine has oh ed on 95 south thru sc and fl.. on very slight uphill grades pulling 7k max. I mean oh too with the dic flashing and alarms going off. Then when I got to a campground to park the tt the steering gets real stiff and looses assist. Im sure you all know what I am talking about here.. The power steering system sucks on these trucks. I went thru all the fixes... new valve in the ps pump, then a new ps pump, then a new steering gear assembly.. then another.. then new clutch fans 2 of them... then a air cleaner assembly from a 2006. Plus much much more.. So its not an easy fix or a good situation.. Im done.. 24 repair attempts is enuff!!!!!

1 - 20 of 89 Posts