Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on lly with 800miles and the owner said he heard a loud BANG!!!!smoke came billoing out the pipe and no power.after 1 hr of diag I founf the turbo compressor and turbine came apart. Got the turbo out (what a pain in the ace)for giggles iI took the turbo apart an the compressor wheel was busted plum off the shaft.no engine damage but dam it looks good.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The rpm capability of the turbo is quite high, I bet it made a mess of itself. The impellor must of had a defect which would explain the early expiration of the turbo.

Corsair

·
Registered
570 Posts
patrick,

Do you have any pics?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Lets hope that the LLY's variable vane turbo with its additional moving parts and sensors doesn't end up being a bad idea.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh yes i found chunks in the intercooler it was ordered at the same time as the turbo. all ship direct....

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Is the manufacture of these turbos the same as the fords???? If it is, you guys might be busy changing turbos. I know of a 6.0 Excursion owner that has gone through 3 turbos and his friend has gone through one or two. Hope its not a trend.

·
Registered
570 Posts

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
That turbo doesnt look that bad. Just sand it down and reinstall.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just talked to a guy the other day and the turbo went out in one of his big trucks. If he didn't have a fire extingisher the whole truck would have burnt to the ground. Because it dumped the oil into the exhaust. It had 500,000 miles on it and it went out in the middle of Washington DC at 5:00.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
IIRC the Ford used a turbo with some the same manufacture, but seemed they had some type of oil problems? I dont recall for sure.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Patrick,

Can you tell me if the turbo bearings are the same as the LB7 motors?

I beleive this is what's making my weird 'grinding' noise when it spools down. Just wondering if teh bearings are teh same?

Thanks.

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
It is the same Garret pretty much as the one on the Ford 6.0 PSD.

Looks like the nut came off that one.

They don't seem to be as durable as the LB7 IHI turbos. If you dilute the fuel from bad injectors dumping in the crankcase, you might be looking at replacing the turbo at the same time.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I think the controls have changed. It is my understanding that all the adjustments on the PSD are accomplished via electronic selenoid and that they were having reliability issues with these living right on the turbocharger being exposed to the excessive heat and vibration.

I believe GM has switched to a electronic over hydraulic system that maintains the electronic signal control via hydraulic actuation. Those more intimate with the engine could either prove or disprove this quickly.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ill get picts soon. the turbine looke ok wore into the housing but the compressor twisted off like spegitti(sp)
hit the iron housing and dumped chunks into the oil drain.got the intercooler out had oh 5 qts of oil in it.
pdi guy came to me and said hey check the history.
I said why is new 800 miles he said yes i know, I pdi one
just like this a week ago that was sold and it was 3 qts low.sure enough its the same truck. turbo had to have been goin bad from the get go. Ill get pict asap.

·
Registered
570 Posts
How many qts low before the oil light will come on? Just wondering.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts