Diesel Place banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been real cold here in the Northeast for 2 days.. Days with windchill in the negative's. I plug my 05 in at night even if its 30 out and this morning she started up fine but at 1500 rpm, no power and it was bucking. I thought the fuel gelled up on me but it turns out the dealer had to replace the fuel filter.. They charge $125 :eek:. And the truck has 13,000 miles. I'll be changing my own next time...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Same thing happened to me around 10.500. Hard bucking over 2,000 rpms and hardly had any power. Drove it to the dealership, the plugged in the tech II and said it has to be the fuel filter. They said $99.. Well, bought the filter for $35 went home and changed it in 15 minutes. Luckily they didn't charge me for diagnostics ($70) and reset me CEL so it was normal again.

·
Registered
696 Posts
It's been real cold here in the Northeast for 2 days.. Days with windchill in the negative's. I plug my 05 in at night even if its 30 out and this morning she started up fine but at 1500 rpm, no power and it was bucking. I thought the fuel gelled up on me but it turns out the dealer had to replace the fuel filter.. They charge $125 :eek:. And the truck has 13,000 miles. I'll be changing my own next time...
FYI - The latest revision of the fuel filter is now a little longer with more filtering media (so that it might go a little longer between changes). I limped mine once when I got a bad batch of biodiesel that plugged the filter.

FWIW - I change my fuel filter every 10k miles.

jeff

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
Luckily they didn't charge me for diagnostics ($70) and reset me CEL so it was normal again.
man if dealers are charging 70 bucks just to plug in the Tech 2, I could make a fortune and easilly pay for my Tech 2....

HEY!!! CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON!??! COME SEE ME IT WILL TAKE 25 SECONDS AND COST 65 DOLLARS!!! thats cheaper than the dealer!:eek: ):h '

--Ben

·
Registered
320 Posts
man if dealers are charging 70 bucks just to plug in the Tech 2, I could make a fortune and easilly pay for my Tech 2....

HEY!!! CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON!??! COME SEE ME IT WILL TAKE 25 SECONDS AND COST 65 DOLLARS!!! thats cheaper than the dealer!:eek: ):h '

--Ben
What they told me is if the "diagnose" the problem and found that it's a preventive maintenance issue, it would be $70 for the diagnosis.

I b*tched to them about it being 4 months old and the 2nd time I've had a CEL come on.. So they said they will scan it for free and tell me what's wrong but that's it. Any further diagnosing would be charged unless it's a defective part. Kind of put a bad taste in my mouth getting that type of response from the dealer I purchased from.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same thing happened to me at 15K miles; dealer charged me $125 to change the fuel filter. I was going to change my own filter, but was afraid I would bang up the housing. What did you use to unscrew the filter housing, and was it hard to reprime?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
If my dealer told me they were going to charge me for their Tech 2 use on a warrentied truck I would less-than-calmly tell them where to go and where I was going the next time I was in the market for a new truck---THAT'S RIDICULOUS!!!:eek:

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
FYI - The latest revision of the fuel filter is now a little longer with more filtering media (so that it might go a little longer between changes). I limped mine once when I got a bad batch of biodiesel that plugged the filter.

FWIW - I change my fuel filter every 10k miles.

jeff
I don't know about that logic, Jeff. While the new filter is a touch longer, the dual media appears to be actually doing something for us now. (Catching foreign material)
This would lead me to believe that the new filters are going to be more prone to clogging..

·
Registered
175 Posts
Same thing happened to me at 15K miles; dealer charged me $125 to change the fuel filter. I was going to change my own filter, but was afraid I would bang up the housing. What did you use to unscrew the filter housing, and was it hard to reprime?
DHWHITE - here's a great step by step to changing your fuel filter by DmaxalliTech. It's done so well, even i was able to follow it and have been changing them myself.

At first, i thought my hands/arms were too thick to get in there to do it - but after looking at the Pix and seeing that DmaxalliTech has the same size Meat Hooks as 'ol Fester, I realized I was just being a Puss and needed to just :grd:

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1508&highlight=instructions+changing+fuel+filter

·
Registered
127 Posts
Need to prime after changing Fuel Filter

I changed mine after installing the Nictane secondary fuel filter on my 2005 D/A. It was amazingly simple after I removed the inner fender. Just take out the plastic push pins that hold the inner fender liner in and unplug the water sensor. Then slip a filter wrench around it and it comes right out. Install the O rings before you put the new filter back on, and I pre-filled the filter with diesel, as I did for the Nictane CAT filter, and I did not have to prime the fuel system. Changing the GM fuel filter is a quick job, and if you fill the filter with fuel before reinstalling it, you will probably not have to prime the system. Good luck D.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
125 bucks for a filter change that is a nice chunck of money i will change anyones filter for 50 bucks

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
125 bucks for a filter change that is a nice chunck of money i will change anyones filter for 50 bucks
:cool2:
Can you come over tomorrow?
:joke: :lol:

I live in Southern Illinois & will even supply the filter!

Britt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts