Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please excuse my ignorance, but will someone explain to me what is meant by 'limp mode'. ( I am, of course, refering to the truck.)

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
When ya got too much HP goingf to the wheels with a stock Allison as a fail safe one of two things will happen, stuck in third gear or Neutral.

It has happened so may times for me I do not even set a code, you can feel it starting to go and if you get out of the throttle fast enough you can avoid the SES - P0700 code from being set.

Zinging is the new favorite term for limp mode.

T
NY

·
Registered
626 Posts
Man all this time I thought limp mode was when you got your six speed so hot the shift lever just layed over on the floor after a few minutes of hard use.

·
Registered
692 Posts
limp home mode is the term used to say when the vechicle
pcm see a problem it cuts back the fuel injection rate
on the duramax it cuts 4 of the 8 cylinders. 2 from each bank or what gm calls injector control circuits.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I thought that limp mode had to do with engine...sensing a problem and giving you half power just like patrick said.

I thought the trans sensed slipping and only gave you up to the gear that slipped.

I think

·
Registered
494 Posts
The tranny limp is like Tony described. The engine will limit rpm to 2000 when it senses a problem. It has full power up to 2000 but with an auto it is tough to get anywhere.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I did not know there was a tranny limp also. I know the getting stuck in 3rd gear happened to my friend and he had to shut off the engine and restart....cleared the limp and he was on his way again.

·
Registered
692 Posts
as a d/max teck never head of a tranny limp home seen a no shift and slip ses lamp on for trans related problems.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You don't have to go back to the dealer if this happens do you? Is there any other way to reset the SES light if this problem happens. This would be helpful to know

·
Registered
704 Posts
I believe the SES resets itself after 5 restarts, but the code stays in the TCM so they can get it with a Tech 2 later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts