Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I think after reading some of the other threads I must have gelled up???? I started my truck 2006 LBZ tonight and let it run for at least a half hour (the wife was getting ready for dinner) and it ran fine. High idel and once warm down to normal. I drove away and couldnt get over 2000 rpm. I run power service in the winter and so far have not had any problems. The high for the day today was -4:eek: Good thing im in the heating bus... My questiion is if the fuel is gelled up then why will it run at all? From reading other posts Im guessing that is what is going on and will change out the fuel filter and the oil is due so Ill do that also. Is that all I need to do?

Thanks for the input:)

Jason

·
Registered
372 Posts
As I understand it, the computer sees a low fuel rail pressure and calls for a CEL and limp mode. It may not be completely blocked which allows some fuel to pass through and the engine to continue to run but not at optimum conditions. I had the same thing happen a couple months ago, I changed the filter, added some 911 to the tank and filter and was on my way.

Tim

·
Registered
273 Posts
jasontrucks76;1594101; said:
Well I think after reading some of the other threads I must have gelled up???? I started my truck 2006 LBZ tonight and let it run for at least a half hour (the wife was getting ready for dinner) and it ran fine. High idel and once warm down to normal. I drove away and couldnt get over 2000 rpm. I run power service in the winter and so far have not had any problems. The high for the day today was -4:eek: Good thing im in the heating bus... My questiion is if the fuel is gelled up then why will it run at all? From reading other posts Im guessing that is what is going on and will change out the fuel filter and the oil is due so Ill do that also. Is that all I need to do?

Jason
I know your truck is newer then my 02 ... but on mine I have a manual switch and if you leave it on and drive off it will not go over 2000 rpm ... how do I know ... it happened to me and I couldn't figure it out ... I was towing and I pulled over and Dad says to me ... maybe it's the high idle switch been on .... Well Duh!! that is what it was ... I turned it off and away I went ... no problems after that.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
jasontrucks76;1594101; said:

Jason
See if you can put it inside,keep it warm,and drive it.If it runs fine,you'll know it was cold related.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I had the same issue with my truck buying fuel all through the upper midwest/great lakes area. Yes, 911, will clean out the filter. However, 911 contains alcohol and is not good for our trucks.

We saw at least 50 stalled big rigs on our way through the area during the cold snap two weeks ago, and the ones I talked to were all fuel gelling related. I had the same issues and ended up changing a filter on the side of I-90 at -5F and 30mph winds :mad: Once I sorted out the problem and was able to buy some real fuel in Canada I haven't had an issue since.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
We need to all call gm and complain complain complain. My truck is doing the same thing as yours, youll see a low rail pressure code. They have tried blaming it on the fuel and it has been through 4 different tanks of fuel now and to the stealer 8 times now for this very problem. Gm tech admited the suction pump on the back of the cp3 pump isnt strong enough. no warmer on the fuel filter no lift pump in the tank or frame rail causes it. They however cannot advise an after market lift pump and told me they will void my warrenty if I put one on it. I have run every kind of additive you can think in my truck (howes, white power service etc, even stanadyne and no help). Every morning when I start the truck I cringe, I know its gonna limp, hopefully not when I pull out into traffic, and then message it to work. I am so fed up w/my truck right now, gm talking a buy back but reluctant to do it. I am reluctant to even put a goosneck hitch or plow on this truck. Calling gm tech (customer service) they claim no updates or knowledge of this problem. My truck cannot get parked inside but always plugged in when not driving it and I warm up until the high idle kicks off, to try to circulate warm fuel to the tank. THis next week back up in the high 20's so the problem will probably "go away"or theyll "fix it" until next year.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
I tried a fuel filter change (at 1250 miles then again herea t 3000 when I was having my problems) no help. These darn trucks IF you are truly geled, you cant fill them like the old ones. (the 6.5's and 6.2's could pull the old filter and refil w/kerosene or diesel out of a squirt or ketchup bottle to get her running again. Please somone pm me if they ahve an answer(besides a lift pump), I wont void my warrenty, which the dealer said they will if they see that thing hanging on the side of my truck(talking about a fass system.

·
Registered
16,080 Posts
thejdman04;1595214; said:
We need to all call gm and complain complain complain. My truck is doing the same thing as yours, youll see a low rail pressure code. They have tried blaming it on the fuel and it has been through 4 different tanks of fuel now and to the stealer 8 times now for this very problem. Gm tech admited the suction pump on the back of the cp3 pump isnt strong enough. no warmer on the fuel filter no lift pump in the tank or frame rail causes it. They however cannot advise an after market lift pump and told me they will void my warrenty if I put one on it. I have run every kind of additive you can think in my truck (howes, white power service etc, even stanadyne and no help). Every morning when I start the truck I cringe, I know its gonna limp, hopefully not when I pull out into traffic, and then message it to work. I am so fed up w/my truck right now, gm talking a buy back but reluctant to do it. I am reluctant to even put a goosneck hitch or plow on this truck. Calling gm tech (customer service) they claim no updates or knowledge of this problem. My truck cannot get parked inside but always plugged in when not driving it and I warm up until the high idle kicks off, to try to circulate warm fuel to the tank. THis next week back up in the high 20's so the problem will probably "go away"or theyll "fix it" until next year.

I understand you are having problems with this truck. If GM will buy it back, what are you still doing with it? Take the money and run or buy another one.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Tuesday this week my engine light came on after work truck limped but about 5 miles later it started shifting again. Took it to dealer today to get code checked after a few people on here thought it was the feul gelling up WRONG it was p0299 map sensor code :mad: So i run code on here and it says engine underboost or low boost or something so who do i beleive the diesel place or the dealer?

·
Registered
273 Posts
If your gelling at the fuel filter and it no longer has a fuel heater (like the older trucks) why don't you guys wrap insulation around the filter to keep it from getting so cold. I would do anything I had to keep my truck running ... silly question here ... I take it you guys are running your factory winter cover on the front of your truck?? I know silly question otherwise you would get no heat.

·
Registered
372 Posts
ajk bell;1596138; said:
If your gelling at the fuel filter and it no longer has a fuel heater (like the older trucks) why don't you guys wrap insulation around the filter to keep it from getting so cold.
The fuel is cold, so if you wrap the filter with insulation it will actually keep the filter colder than without the insulation. The heat comes from the engine so the insulation would keep the heat out.

Tim

·
Registered
273 Posts
moosecountry;1596239; said:
The fuel is cold, so if you wrap the filter with insulation it will actually keep the filter colder than without the insulation. The heat comes from the engine so the insulation would keep the heat out.

Tim
From what I have been reading most (not all) are gelling after driving for a while .... in this case it would help ... however if you are already gelled before you go anywhere then yes it will keep it colder ...I was reading over in the 07 section that they were saying the new trucks don't have fuel heaters in the filter body. I don't know about the newer trucks by my 02 has the return fuel lines running inside the valve covers ... which of course will help heat up the fuel back to the tank.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Fuel Heater

Ok you guys may want to check your fuel heater that is built into your fuel filter housing .... I know the 02 has it and I am sure others do too ... if this baby isn't working you are not going anywhere ... so in this case my insulation around the filter would be beneficial No?

This is a GM document on how to figure out if it works and where the problem might be.

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
Here is how to replace your Fuel Heater

Again GM doc on how to replace your Fuel Heater.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you guys for all the input. I got in my truck last night when I got home and started her up. The CEL was still on and remained on for the duration of an across town trip to get my oil changed. I had them also replace the fuel filter. When I got back in the truck to go home the CEL was out. I called onstar to see if they could tell me what the code was so I diddnt have to take the time to go to the dealer and they said they cannot read codes on a diesel:( ??? Guess I dont need to continue that service. Anyhow I have read that allot of you seem to be disapointed with your trucks?. I have been verry happy with the overall operation of this truck and being my first Diesel I wasnt sure if I was gelled or not. I guess Im still not sure but everyting seems to be working ok now.....

Thank again
JT

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have been having the same issues:mad: My truck limped twice on the way to work today and three times ast weekend. I thought it may need to be detuned for the subzero temps weve had but that hasnt helped. A friend of mine has had the same problems with his 05 LLY. Filters have been changed..... additive....etc. They will limp with or without a load and from what I see a lift pump is the only permanent solution. :( GM should have done it themselves, I do agree.

·
Registered
19 Posts
onstar WILL read a diesel!!!! My Dad is in Fla with his camper when the 02 LLY died! turned out it was the EDGE... they are taking care of him. He called onstar and they told him the codes it was getting. He unplugged the EDGE and it ran fine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ccs513;1597107; said:
onstar WILL read a diesel!!!! My Dad is in Fla with his camper when the 02 LLY died! turned out it was the EDGE... they are taking care of him. He called onstar and they told him the codes it was getting. He unplugged the EDGE and it ran fine.

Well Im glad they were usefull to your dad. Last night they turned me over to a diagnostic team member and he told me they were unable to retrive codes from the new diesel engines:eek:: . If any one else has the onstar package on a new rig give it a try and let me know?

Take care
JT

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
MGlickLBZ;1595408; said:
I understand you are having problems with this truck. If GM will buy it back, what are you still doing with it? Take the money and run or buy another one.
I said gm is finally talking a buy back but reluctant to do it. According to what I have found any truck in IL over 8000 gvrw , rv's and motorcycles arent covered under lemon laws so it would have to be a voluntary thing. I think if they did do a buy back,Id pry buy another lbz, I love the cummins, hate the rest of the truck and power train, ford is just a night mare. I want a duramax, just one that works. Very very frustrating when you spend that kind of money and they cant get it to work, I like the truck but when its every day taking it to a dealer, its frustrating. Today I had to take off work to take the truck to the dealer. I got a ride to work from the stealer and then was stranded at work , dealer wouldnt travel the 10 miles to pick me up from work. The dealer at this point is grasping at straws. Today they worked on it all day, said some sensors were going crazy (reading like 592% on their tech 2 and ranges should be 1-100%). They dont know, put a gas cap on it and say "see what happens." I ask, if its a fuel cap (not letting air in causing a vacuum, not allowing air to replace used fuel, fine great if it fixes it.) but why does the truck only have problems and limp when its cold? Dealer said "I dont know". And when he cant answer a ? like that then where does that leave me. I said you guys can clear the code, I can drive 40 miles home in the afternoon no problems never touch the fuel cap. Get up warm it up 20 min(or until high idle kicks off), drive it for 5 miles down the road when its cold and bahm code. You guys then clear the code again, I can drive it home no problems again no one touching the gas cap. Again no answer.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
WildChild;1596993; said:
I have been having the same issues:mad: My truck limped twice on the way to work today and three times ast weekend. I thought it may need to be detuned for the subzero temps weve had but that hasnt helped. A friend of mine has had the same problems with his 05 LLY. Filters have been changed..... additive....etc. They will limp with or without a load and from what I see a lift pump is the only permanent solution. :( GM should have done it themselves, I do agree.
I am very happy w/my truck, except when tis cold and it goes to the dealer every day. Its ridiculous. I have changed filters, run additives, etc etc same problem. I was told by the gm dealer they said if they see anything hanging on the side of the truck (fass system etc) and you start having injector problems, cp3 pump problems whatever dont count on warrenty. they say the system was designed to work how it is shoudlnt not be modified, my comment was must not be designed very well cause it doesnt work and from reading these boards, Im not the only one. But according to the cust service wrep I am.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts