Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dmaxallitech; What is the difference between the two? and does it cause much damage to the transmission when the truck zings in to neutral?

I have zinged it 50 times if not more, But only once have I limped the tranny. When I say zinged it, I mean that every one of these times, I was able to let off the throttle, place the gear selector in to neutral for a second or two, place the gear selector back in to gear and all is as good as before.

The one time I limped the transmission, it set a code. I had to stop, shut the truck off, and start it up several times before all was good.

Can you enlighten us a little on this?

Thank you!Edited by: hdmax

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
From my experience "Zing" came with a roll into the throttle ... "Limp " came with a heavy boot ... I also found it will zing easier and easier as time progresses ... My truck was incapable of holding 90 HP juice roll on at 70 MPH .... Because of what I've done ,where I've brought my power levels up to ....

From the looks of C2 mint and C3 although some blacking was visable,not what I would call extreme, yet I haven't mic'd anything either ... So only part of the issue is clutch capacity IMO ..

A call To Suncoast converters will fix your ills .…

Mac

Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dmaxalliTech said:
Mike, I have to wonder if it set a code in the process of zinging. What conditions were making it 'zing'?

Every time I zing the tranny, I am at full throttle using foot feed. The one limp was using CC while towing 10,000 lbs up a 12% grade. About a mile or so up the hill, I noticed the truck was losing speed, I stepped it down a little trying to force a down shift. But instead it limped. By having it in CC letting up off the throttle did no good. By the way, at the time I was running the Predator set at 85hp.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Mike back the power down, thats a steep grade. I cant tow in anything over 40hp tune with my pred safely. I limped her tonite with comp juice on level 3 and pred on 40hp tune. hehe. I would suggest backing the power down on your towing, I think anytime your tranny laughs at you, its getting damage, however minute.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
dmaxalliTech said:
Mike back the power down, thats a steep grade. I cant tow in anything over 40hp tune with my pred safely. I limped her tonite with comp juice on level 3 and pred on 40hp tune. hehe. I would suggest backing the power down on your towing, I think anytime your tranny laughs at you, its getting damage, however minute.
I liked the combo 40 Predator and any juice level .... They just don't get along ...

Choo cho smoke tho ....

Mac

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dmaxalliTech said:

Yes I know that! however I had towed for more then 500 miles and many of them were in the mountains with out so much as a hick-up until that one limp. And temperatures never seen 1200* until it limped, which time it did a spike of about 1450-1500* real quick.

Thanks for the information guys!

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
hdmax said:
dmaxalliTech said:

Yes I know that!

I figured you did

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
hdmax

The difference between the two modes is determinded by what is happening just prior to the fault mode. If the TCM feels like it more than it can handle comeing to fast it releases to neutral and it will most times have a transmission fault stored but not always. If you are rolling on the power and the TCM determines its to much it will drop to 4th gear from 5th to try and stop the slip and again set a code. This one will require the code to be cleared as it place's the TCM into a default mode. By starting and stopping the truck several times you've cleared the code and everything is back to normal.

Hope this help you.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
HD, I cannot force a down shift in CC with the Juice until it gains approximately 5 MPH. If my EGT starts into the red in 5th, I take the cruise off and push down until it shifts and then put the cruise back on. Works for me every time. Later! Frank

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
The shift kit will solve the problem for sure! It hold our 500 Hp truck with no problems at all

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It looks like the TTS trans kit is the way to go for us po folk. How involved is the install for your kit Steve?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Hdmax

The transmission needs to be removed and the parts installed. We are shipping one to Eric and he is going to install it in his own truck so I will let him be the judge of how hard it is. If your going to pay someone to install the kit I would say about 6 hours labor on a 2wd and 8 hours labor on a 4wd. Since we have done the development work with Transgo it seems easy to us but it may be concidered hard by others. If your interested in the kit you can download the instructions from our web site and see if it's something you think you would tackle on your own.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts