Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy a C5500 truck with a 12' body.Truck is for landscape use and will not be plowed with but I will be off road at times on construction sites.Should I look for a truck with limited slip or a locking differential? What are the benefits of each?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I got the limited slip on mine. It makes a big difference in mud. It is worth the extra money for me. I was not aware these trucks were available with a locker. That would be even better (but probably too much money to be worth it).

·
Registered
449 Posts
Limited slip usually refers to: or similar to Positraction, which uses friction plates
I don't believe this is an option for medium duty

What is an option is a G80 locker [also know as a detriot locker]
a mechanical locking system that when senses one wheel spining around 10-15mph is then actuated by a mechanical pawl which send power to other wheel

From experiance, this is why you have to be carefull jacking up on one side of the rears to spin in gear to check for something

·
Registered
108 Posts
Limited slip usually refers to: or similar to Positraction, which uses friction plates
My truck has limited slip from the factory. It is standard on 4x4 models. Optional on 2x4. I will try to find the build code in my files.

·
Registered
526 Posts

What is an option is a G80 locker [also know as a detriot locker]
a mechanical locking system that when senses one wheel spining around 10-15mph is then actuated by a mechanical pawl which send power to other wheel

From experiance, this is why you have to be carefull jacking up on one side of the rears to spin in gear to check for something
Sounds like a limited slip ;)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Stick with the G80 limited slip. The locking diff (G86) will do nothing but give you problems on dry ground and cost you lots of money in broken axles.

GM doesn't recommend it for anyone with less than 90% OFF ROAD.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"I was not aware these trucks were available with a locker. That would be even better (but probably too much money to be worth it)."

Yellowmonkey,the option also comes with the smowplow package.

'From experiance, this is why you have to be carefull jacking up on one side of the rears to spin in gear to check for something '

meGMfan,thats too funny!

"Stick with the G80 limited slip. The locking diff (G86) will do nothing but give you problems on dry ground and cost you lots of money in broken axles."

Dirt Dog,can you explain this further? How and why would you end up breaking axles?

·
Registered
526 Posts
"I was not aware these trucks were available with a locker. That would be even better (but probably too much money to be worth it)."

Yellowmonkey,the option also comes with the smowplow package.

'From experiance, this is why you have to be carefull jacking up on one side of the rears to spin in gear to check for something '

meGMfan,thats too funny!

"Stick with the G80 limited slip. The locking diff (G86) will do nothing but give you problems on dry ground and cost you lots of money in broken axles."

Dirt Dog,can you explain this further? How and why would you end up breaking axles?
Lockers drag the outside tires. One its very annoying. Two it puts loads of stress on the axle and splines.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks volvospeed for your reply. Decisions,decisions. Censored

·
Registered
449 Posts
Sounds like a limited slip ;)
Nope, a locker [or G80] as stated on my build sheet
The wheel off the ground was spinning slowly, then you could hear and feel the mechanical engagement
Plates would not do this

Most GM trucks [as does my Avalanche] has the G80 option
Not like the old, is as needed by a pawl
I use mine all the time [AV] to powerslide on wet pavement:D

·
Registered
292 Posts
Isn't the limited slip basically just an automatic part time locker?

·
Registered
526 Posts
The wheel off the ground was spinning slowly, then you could hear and feel the mechanical engagement
Plates would not do this

Thats a LSD. Lots of diffs are LSD and don't use plates anymore. Most well known is probably Quaife:

I doubt anything comes standard anymore with full spools.

Isn't the limited slip basically just an automatic part time locker?
No. A LSD allows you to turn without dragging. Hence limited slip vs no slip(locked)

·
Registered
108 Posts
It may be obvious, but I thought I would mention that rear tire wear can be increased with a locker since the outside wheels slide.

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
Plates would not do this

you wrong.
G80 is a gov locker bascily the same as a posi with springs and plate/disc. with the excetion that the gov lock is in the place of the springs

Thats a LSD. Lots of diffs are LSD and don't use plates anymore. Most well known is probably Quaife:

I doubt anything comes standard anymore with full spools.
this my friend is a true trac or gear locker basicly and open diff unless there is is force applied via the driveshaft and not a true locker.

a locker has plateaus and valleys and is unlock via ramp/spings and has a disting unlock lock process there are no clutchs of any type in this locker

·
Registered
449 Posts
Sorry, not wrong
Build sheet is in my hand> "G80 locker"

And truck is currently up in the air
A Posi or something with plates, the wheels will both turn in the forward direction when you spin one, these do not, they turn opposite directions, just walked over an tried it

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
Sorry, not wrong
Build sheet is in my hand> "G80 locker"

And truck is currently up in the air
A Posi or something with plates, the wheels will both turn in the forward direction when you spin one, these do not, they turn opposite directions, just walked over an tried it
then you need to tear a G80 down and a locker down. beause a G80 is basicly a limit slip/posi and not a locker.

when the G80 is disengeage it act as a complete standard open dif and will do what you just discribed.. it is a limited slip

an actualy LOCKER the tires would both spin the same direction if the drive shaft is allowed to spin

·
Registered
449 Posts
Nope, I 'll try again
G80 is NOT limited slip/posi or similar to
I may have confused you when I said detroit locker as in spool

I know in my AV, there is no friction plates, [have seen pics inside] not does it act like L/S [ setup like standard diff with spider gears]
If on wet pavement and turn slightly, and boot it, I can lite up one wheel or the other
If I accelerate quickly, I can get the locker to lock and do donuts with the truck with both lit

Only varyable would be if they built it different for med duty, but it is still called G80 Locker.

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
Nope, I 'll try again
G80 is NOT limited slip/posi or similar to
I may have confused you when I said detroit locker as in spool

I know in my AV, there is no friction plates, [have seen pics inside] not does it act like L/S [ setup like standard diff with spider gears]
If on wet pavement and turn slightly, and boot it, I can lite up one wheel or the other
If I accelerate quickly, I can get the locker to lock and do donuts with the truck with both lit

Only varyable would be if they built it different for med duty, but it is still called G80 Locker.
the G80 gover locker is in functionality NOT a locker if it was a locker you not be able to do peg leg burn outs and it would kick the truck sideway on a turn doing so.

the clutches and disc are control by a govoner spring that spins in relation to the axle speed diffential basicly one axle going slower than the other. there is a window that this govoner applies pressure to the clutch plates.. normally you have to be going in a relative straight line to get it applied. going around a corner it will not apply while turning you will peg leg. also there is a speed relative to this as well

the G80 has more things in common with a limit slip/posi diff cone or plate disce differential than any actual locker when the govoner is not applies it acts like a complete open diff un like a LS or posi unit. when applied it acts like a limit slip/ posi unit

1 - 20 of 43 Posts