Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first I have done a search
I didn’t find what I was looking for so here goes kinda long?

I have a set of lighted onki running boards, I would like the lights to activate on the side of the truck in which the door is open, IE the drivers door is open just the drivers side running board would light, same for passenger, or both if the doors are open on there respective sides, I would like the lights to not light if the dome over ride is activated.

The first part may be to much to ask so I would settle for the light to operate the same time as the interior dome. Here is a wiring diagram from ONKI http://www.onkicorp.com/download/wireConfiguration.pdf

Is there a "pin" in say, I think the (BCM?) i could tie into to accomplish what I want to do. I am not familiar with the BCM at all I have gathered through other threads this may be the place to go. So if anyone has done this or may know how to do this I am asking and open for suggestions. Also I am not real familiar with relays Is there a particular 20amp relay I need? And can this be purchased at say a Radio Shack or similar store? TIA

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
It is possible to do what you want. Instead of running the board lamps on the dome switch, you'd need to replace the door switch with a double pole switch (2 sets of switches activated by a single button). One switch for each door.

I don't know if you'd wire directly:

btty + to fuse to switch to lamp to ground

or use a relay.

Looks like you're a 4 door, so you'd need a switch on each door, wired in parallel.

20 amps? thats a LOT of current. Is that for the entire dome lamp circuit, or just your running boards?

You should be able to get a relay at radio shack or an electronics part store.

You'll need a 12v dc, ? pole (how many different sets of closures) single throw normally open or double throw

You would use the normally open contacts so when the door switch activates the relay, the contacts close turning on the lamps.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
593 Posts
go to amp running boards site and tap to the same wire that you would use for the boards to come down that way if it is front or rear door they will come on just my 2 cents if you want i will post the wires and where they are if you need.
rob

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the tip I will try that, I'll let you know if I cant figure it out

ON EDIT, I am not sure there wiring instructions online help, They install another "box" under the hood and then splice into several wires in the truck, thing is I dont know what (Example The light blue wire with the black stripe or the green wire with the black stripe) actually do? Can you dumb this down for me?

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you can live with both running boards lighting up with either door then just tap into the courtesy lamp circuit. pins B and C of plug C10 in the mid bussed electrical center (the one on the floor) are the courtesy lamp circuit. I used one pin there to add the footwell lamps which were removed in the newer trucks.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can live with both boards lighting, the pins you described are they marked? I havent torn into it yet. If they are not marked how would I identify them? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you look real close at the plugs you can see the letters molded in, usually helps to angle a light in to get some shadowing/reflection.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Where do you find the connectors to hook to the pins?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No idea I am so lost on this whole thing.......

If you look real close at the plugs you can see the letters molded in, usually helps to angle a light in to get some shadowing/reflection.
thanx I will try that

·
Registered
231 Posts
Where do you find the connectors to hook to the pins?
You can order them from a gm parts supplier or I have found them in auto parts stores. They are standard metripack, female, tangless, .280 size. The ones I have found have the locking tang so I just clip it off and then they work fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts