Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1982 Chevy 1/2 ton 2wd cab on a 79' 4x4 frame. My brother started the conversion and I'm finishing it. I'm currently working on the lights. I can get all the lights to work IE. brakes, turn, running, and headlights. I however cannot get the dash lights to work. I replaced the fuses and switch still nothing. Also when I turn on the running lights the left turn signal will not work. I get a steady light. Like a brake light. The left turn works fine when the running lights are not on, so where did I go wrong? One thing to note is the dash indicator for the left does not work if the headlights are on are not. Could that be the culprit? Please help!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
dash lights

This would be easier to look at! Have you got the dash lights on the run circuit ? Most ignitions ( I think) have start and run on them???) These are where they get there power from? As for the rest I would have to look at it. I wish you luck it would be an interesting job.Hope you have it done by now?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the key in the run position. I don't think that is the problem. Still haven't figured it out yet.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
I would check all the bulbs first. May also be a problem with the cluster.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
As far as the turn signal, all bulbs including front, rear, indicator need to be working to flash properly. Do all lights flash with the four ways? Might need a bulb, or try replacing the round plug in flasher on the fuse box/or in the harness under the dash. Can't remember, but there may be two-one for hazzards, one for turn.

As for the dash lights, the headlight switch dimmer function gets finikey when they get old, try wiggling/messing with the knob, or replace the headlight switch. The back of the gauge cluster on those has a circut board, which might have been damaged by someone installing it too rough, etc...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All the turn signal lights work when the head lights are off. The problem with the turn signals seems to appear when turn on the head lights. I replaced the switch for the headlights with a brand new one. that did not fix either issue. I replaced the flasher, fuses, bulbes ect. still same problem. I have not been able to get to the back of the guage cluster to inspect it. It is proving extremly difficult to remove without damaging it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.