Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take the time to read the new Energy bill and the mandates for 35 MPG trucks. Also take the time to read about emissions mandates.

For Ford, GM and Chrysler to keep their fleet MPG numbers up and fleet pollution standards in line with our Government (appeasing the Sierra Club and the like) they have no choice other than to go Diesel. Diesels have a lower carbon emission footprint than gasoline models and in a couple years, the Feds will be regulating auto carbon footprints.

I suspect the Automobile markets will be much different in 5-7 years with a mix of hybrids, Diesels, E-85, electric and fuel cell vehicles. All driven by the Green movement and the prohibition on any new oil drilling or refineries in the US.

Hopefully we will be able to buy heavier trucks but I suspect if you buy a heavier truck for non-commercial, you will be heavily taxed or have to prove your need or both.

Enjoy the toys whilst you still can fellas... Hillary and Company is coming and it ain't going to be pretty...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a friend (2006.5 6 speed)that has switched his gearing to 342's because it is strictly milage , nothing smaller in a truck and gets about 24 -27 depending on how he drives it . the most he hauls is 5000 lbs and does it with ease . I am getting the half ton and the wife will be getting a diesel car when she can .

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Enjoy the toys whilst you still can fellas... Hillary and Company is coming and it ain't going to be pretty...

Here is a thought....... DON'T VOTE FOR HER. She will be limited in what she can do if she is not voted for.

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
woohoo 35mpg get to save to $$$ at the pump.......

oo wait a minute it that will be thwarted my the 5-6$ gallon fuel cost:mad:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Enjoy the toys whilst you still can fellas... Hillary and Company is coming and it ain't going to be pretty

Not a Hillary fan at all, but I do not think it will matter who is in office. Bush is the one that just set the new standards at 35mpg. It has to happen. No matter what anyone says oil is finite and will!!! run out someday. I will enjoy my toys, but still will not complain about 35 mpg. I know I already think about fuel cost now with the price having doubled in the past 4 years. No one can say that is does not effect them. I know someone that works for General Petroleum and he says fleet managers are looking for 1/10th mpg savings at this point.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Wow, isn't it great how congress can pass a bill for 35mph and it will just happen because they say so!

The United States has the best congress money can buy.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
it's not for 35mpg trucks, but an overall fleet average of 35mpg or face fines. needless to say I'm for it, this should spur alternative energy camps as well(read bio-diesel) development and more less money at the pumps for ys.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I for one will have a very tough time buying another diesel. Not that I don't want to but it's rediclulous to pay $5+K for the engine and sometimes trans to get slightly better mileage, and pay $0.65 to $0.75 per gallon more. I think diesel will get left for ethanol.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The automakers say YOU are going to pay between $ 10K - $ 15K MORE for the mandated 35 MPG vehicles in 2012 so....

Makes the $ 5-7K premium for the Duramax seem small

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
once again the 35mpg fleet average doesn't have to happen until 2020. Now I believe there are 'steps' in between so it doesn't all have to be done at once.

I'm not a tree hugger, but I'd rather keep the money out of the oil producers which happen to be south america(Chavez and Co) and the middle east. Both of those areas aren't very friendly to us other than our dollars being spent.

Also it can mean other fuel sources such as bio fuels which can be made in america completely and from companies other than oil companies(exxon) that are gouging us making record profits. More competition almost always(not always but almost) means better pricing for the consumer.

·
Registered
842 Posts
There is plenty of oil we will not run out. Same thing as the global warming sham.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
i hate to tell yall but even if you get 35 mpg in a new vehicle you will have to pay for it when you buy the unit. just remember **** rolls down hill and the customer is on the bottom. YOU WILL BE PAYING FOR IT. EITHER VEHICLE PRICE OR FUEL.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think the 35 MPG mandate will push the auto makers to look more toward more proven avenues of fuel economy such as DIESEL. There is no reason why we have to pay the premium for a diesel engine. Mercedes charges about $1000 more for their diesel in the E320 and can't get them to the dealership fast enough. VW doesn't charge an arm and a leg for their diesels either. GM doesn't care if they sell anything, as long as the average fleet MPG is over 35 when 2020 comes, so they can price it anyway they want.
If they were serious about selling this new Duramax, GM would price it the same as the 6.2 MAX gasser and be done with it. Instead they are going to stick it to us.
Skidont, I was wondering what the MPG would be for a 342 gear set. Thanks for the info.
Sorry about the rant.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I for one will have a very tough time buying another diesel. Not that I don't want to but it's rediclulous to pay $5+K for the engine and sometimes trans to get slightly better mileage, and pay $0.65 to $0.75 per gallon more. I think diesel will get left for ethanol.
:( Sorry but I disagree. Even marginally better fuel mileage is worth it not to mention the fact that the resale value of a diesel is FAR better than any gas. Have you tried to buy a used Jetta TDI lately? :eek:

·
Registered
12,739 Posts
get off this global warming crap,us your brains,we are here on this planet for .1% of its life and we caused the planet to warm up?,lets just get rid of the politations,,they work for us

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
The new MPG ratings and $$ increases will only affect those who buy a new vehicle, I figure a crate 8.1 costs a whole lot less than a new truck... I still have my 82 C10 so the 02 has another good 20 years left

1 - 20 of 115 Posts