Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the deal...truck is an 02 4x4 D-Max CC short box. I pull a lot of trailers and did so today. I unhooked and went for a short drive with no problem. On the way back to get the trailer I noticed that when I put on the blinker (either one) with my foot on the brake and the blinker blinks once then not at all, this is with the lights on. If I put my foot on the brake I get a very faint blinker lights on the dash without the blinker on. Without my foot on the brake and the blinker on the brake lights flash including my brake control lights and it blinks. I hooked up my trailer with lights on and nothing else on and as soon as I do the running lights dim and the brake lights turn on on the truck (i'm outside the truck at this point). Not sure what the reverse lights are doing during all this but I think there is something wrong with them as well, at least with the brake on. :help:
It seems like there is power crossing over from another circuit but not sure. I checked fuses and they are all good. Any help with where to start would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Since your engine and controls dont seem to be acting up sounds like a good ground from battery to engine.

If your interior lights or guages are acting up too, check battery to frame ground.

If its just running, brake, clearance lights start with the trailer plug(s). Take them apart and check the backside of your trailer plug, its probably green inside.

If you have the 5th wheel plug kit, but are not using it check the bundle of wires on the outside of the frame located between the cab and box on drivers side. If they are not being used, the ends are simply taped up. Check there for corrosion.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
check for a bad bulb, might have to replace a few to find it. I've seen blinkers seek grounds thru bad or blown bulbs before and not really look like the bulb was bad either

OH BTW I'm moving this the the correct sections also.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found it....the cab over camper plug had fallen into the frame and ground the wires to the frame. Surprised that it didn't blow any fuses, still scratching my head on that one. I replaced all the lights and did not find it. I then turned on the lights and left turn signal, then tested at the rear plug and got power at both places and a small amount of power at the ground in back. I then started testing and kept looking until I found the wires on the frame. Not sure how long they were there sense I don't use the connection anymore.

Thanks for the help....Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts