Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if a guy pulls close to his max GVWR.... (or a little more :confused: ) is a lift out of question?

What is the average cost to go with a 4" or 6" lift? Do they make big tires that can haul 3400 lbs each?

I'm ready to toss my Rancho shocks out the door. I have the Airbags & Rancho shocks with the Dual Incab air compressor. Well a while back there was a problem with it and I was underneath messing with the air lines and now it has a leak somewhere with the rear shocks.

Is there an easy way to figure out where the leak is, or should I just take it to Les Schwab and have them look at it? I normally run the shocks at 40 front and 40 rear and the rear will leak out to 0 psi in about a day or maybe 1.5 days. Very frustrating. :help:

Should I just toss the Rancho's and go with Bilstein Shocks? Which ones do I need without a lift? Where should I get them from? I plan on getting 285's next time I buy tires so if I need different shocks for that, please let me know...:help2:

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Im over my GVWR and mine still pulls good. Air bags will be nice for the longer tows but for short trips (2-3hrs) my current setup is OK. The tires i have now arent E rated and i can tell. Cant seem to find any that are 17" and close to 33". Might have to buy 18" or bigger to find a properly rated tire....... Im using the shocks from Fabtech but will change to Bilsteins when these are toast. Pics of truck n trailer in garage.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Towing and weight

My neighbor has 2003 DMAX, CC longbed with a 6 in RCD lift and 35 in tires. He tows a 30 foot toyhauler fully loaded and truck loaded and he has no problems at all with the weights. He guesses his trailer fully loaded weighs around 13,000 lbs. They make tires that can handle the weights with the lift. The only thing is he put air bags and he can adjust them as needed. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
IM RUNNING 15'' OF LIFT 40" MUD GRAPPLERS AND TOWING A 32' WARRIOR. I RUN ABOUT 90lbs OF AIR IN MY REAR BAGS, AND TURN MY PRO-COMP MX6-R SHOCKS TO THE STIFFEST POSITION. WHEN IM LOADED I WEIGH IN AT 21'900lbs TRUCK AND TRAILER. IT TOWS WELL AS LONG AS YOU ARE USING A GOOD HITCH AND SWAY CONTROL.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I go to a 285 size tire, will that give the truck some lift? Seems like it did when I went from 245 to 265. How much bigger is the 285 tire? I have the airbags and adjustable shocks so I'm good there. I just get a little worried with the big tires that they wont have a max rating of at least 3400 lbs each tire.

I would bet that the Rampage puts about 2500 - 3000 lbs in the back of the truck. More weight then I want to haul without tires rated to haul 3400 lbs each.

How about if I go with 19.5" tires? Les Schwab sells them for less then I can get them for at Rickson Tires. That would give me a some lift right?

Any ideas on my leaking shocks? Is there some die or something I can put in the line to find out where it's leaking at?

Do Bilstein shocks give a better ride?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Im over my GVWR and mine still pulls good. Air bags will be nice for the longer tows but for short trips (2-3hrs) my current setup is OK. The tires i have now arent E rated and i can tell. Cant seem to find any that are 17" and close to 33". Might have to buy 18" or bigger to find a properly rated tire....... Im using the shocks from Fabtech but will change to Bilsteins when these are toast. Pics of truck n trailer in garage.
The Toyo Open country's are E rated and 10 ply. I just had them installed along with my lift. I got 35/12.50/17 I know you can get 295/70/17s though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts