Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We always talk about lift kits and bigger tires etc. I was running around this weekend and happened to be in San Jose, Ca. (this is not a ethnic or cultural reference) and happened to see a lowered 2500HD with the DMAX.

I was shocked and had to run a red light to catch up to the guy to see if it really was a DMAX. Sure enough 8 lug nuts, 2500HD and DMAX badges. Real big pipe on the exhaust. It was low too, made them donut tires look huge! LOL

Didn't get a chance to talk to him, but actually it looked pretty good, useless for towing or off roading, but somewhat cool and different.

He must have notched the frame to get it that low, the fender wells were just below the top of the tires, maybe 1-2 inches. Maybe air bags, probably not hydrolics as it rode very smooth and didn't have that harse jerkey, bouncy whole body movement kinda thing that hydrolics usually have.

Anyway, just thought it was unusual as most people lower the 1/2 ton. It was an '03 and that Dark Blue Ext cab S/B

Anyone here have a lowered 3/4 ton? It's OK you can admit it, not a sin, just dare to be different I guess.

Edited by: Chevysrus

·
Registered
704 Posts
Mine is lowered just over 1" in the front, and 2" in the rear. Believe it or not, I still clear 35" tall tires. I can't take it off road, but thats why I have a Jeep. On diret roads, pot hole filled roads, or snow covered roads, there is no rubbing. I only did it because the price was right on the tires, and I needed more traction. When these go bald, I'm going to try a keep the width, but go with a much lower profile. That is if I can find one. There seems to be very little selection of tires for a 17" wheel.

Edit:

And did I mention how well it handles with the lower COG?Edited by: Amric

·
Registered
100 Posts
Amric,

Want to do pretty much the same to my Dmax.

Just a mild lower but there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on the subject. Any hints? I'd like to do 2" front and 4" rear.

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
704 Posts
If you drop the torsen bars all the way in the front, I think it will drop about 1.75 inches. Mine are not dropped all the way. What I was going for was keeping the tie-rods and axle shafts parallel to the ground.

For the back, I pulled the longest removable spring. This netted 2". I would be concerned about removing any more if you tow a heavy trailer. If you don't pull much weight, you could also pull the load leaf, and net another 1.5" or so. I would not pull more than one of the long leaves, because you will probably get axle wrap when putting the power down.

Hope this helpsEdited by: Amric

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well good for you guys, bet they look great! Thanks for sharing that info. When I get too old to climb into this sucker I guess I can get it lowered LOL ha ha ha

Just nice to see what the alternatives are. That '03 I saw was way sharp, whoever did the work was A1, first class. Maybe I will see it again and this time I will try to wave him over, but you got to be careful these days on who and how you do that LOL ha ha ha

Enjoy your trucks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts