Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lift pump I want to install, but need some advice on how to hook it up correctly. Initially I was only going to use the pump just to prime the system after I changed out the filters, but got to thinking afterwards it might be a good idea to have it run with the engine on to get maximum useage out of the filters. Currently I'm running a pre OEM engine mounted (2'nd alt location) Racor R60 unit. The lift pump is an AC Delco EP309. I've read a lot of the previous posts on the subject, still not 100% sure.

(1) would it be wise to put a lift pump under the hood or is it best suited for under the truck along the rail somewhere?

(2) can I plumb it in line or do I need to use a bypass with it.

(3) is it best to place the pump between the 2 filters.

(4) what is the pressure output for this type of pump

(5) if a bypass is recommended what pressure is it set at and do you measure this at the schrader valve.

(6) if the pump ever quit will the fuel keep flowing through it or does this cause a major restriction to the system. (if I'm not using a bypass)

Thanks in advance for your input.
Edited by: TC Dmax

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
you want the pump as close to the tank as you can get... so it can "lift" the fuel.. most pumps don't make good suckers, so you don't want to put it in the engine compartment. just plumb it into the existing line. i don't know anything about that pump, but if you can't suck through it a bypass may be a good safety measure. use a relay to power it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
<DIV>I think TC Dmax was refering to the EP 309 fuel pump. It would be best mounted close to the fuel tank to push the fuel.</DIV>
<DIV>I have a 10 micron filter mounted 1st in line then the EP 309 fuel pump mounted just in front of the fuel cooler by the tank. It helps the life of the pump to have clean fuel going through it. It then feeds</DIV>
<DIV>the OEM filter and that feeds my Cat 2 micron filter in the 2nd Alternator position which feeds the engine diesel pump. Clean Fuel
</DIV>
<DIV>I have not checked the pressures on this setup but from previous posts am guessing from 4 to 6 lbs. The fuel should flow through this pump if it quits and I also seem to have read someplace that this is a regulated pump. This low pressure should never be a problem with the Dmax fuel system. Hope this helps.</DIV>

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, sounds like it's best suited to place the pump close to the tank. You are correct VaderDmax it is an EP309 lift pump, got my numbers bassackwards.
I'll do an edit to fix it up.

·
Registered
663 Posts
TC Dmax,

Dittos to all previous posts.. And, if you haven't already I would suggest geting a set of JK's EP309 fittings. They make it real easy to connect to the pump. I had to use two lengths of "bump" tube and four fittings to acomplish what JK's two fittings do. Also if you want to avoid cutting your OEM steel fuel line, you can remove the OEM hose from the tank sender and plumb in the pump with 7/16 id fuel hose and JK's fittings.

Edited by: jbplock

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jbplock

I like the idea of not having to cut the OEM fuel lines and using JK's fittings. I had a look under the truck and found where the steel line meets a braided line (rubber?)on top of the cooler and it has a wierd looking connector that joins it together. Is this the point where I can plumb in or do I go to the other end of the braided hose on top of the tank? Looks like I may have to drop the tank to get at the far end?? I'll PM you about the wiring schematic and timer you posted, it looks like a real
way to have the pump hooked up.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Do JK's fittings fit the factory sending unit/fuel line? You know the fittings we have to use the Lisle tool to remove.

·
Registered
663 Posts
TC,

As Trippin pointed out, you have to remove the OEM line Quick Disconnect (QD) fittings with a QD removal tool such as the Lisle. Note: All QD tool are not the same … you need one with a collar that is long enough to depress the clips internal to the fitting (I learned this the hard way). Once you have the OEM line off you slip some hose (with clamps) over the nipple on the tank sender and the steel line to make your connections.

See see pics.

Also JK's fittings are shown as follows - part of his Universal LP Kit

·
Registered
61 Posts
I hope you guys don't mind my jumping in here with related questions.

What fitting do you use to install the oil pressure switch? Do you need to do an oil drain to install the oil pressure switch or will there be minimal loss if you pull one of the plugs on the side of the filter base?

Thanks,

Bert

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Trippin said:
Do JK's fittings fit the factory sending unit/fuel line? You know the fittings we have to use the Lisle tool to remove.

Never tried, but I would think you could stretch it on. I personally replace the entire hose section with Gates hose. Softer than the Aeroquip stuff in my filter kits. I push it right up and over the bump fittings and clamp on the far side as well. The OE hose is pretty crappy. Almost like it has a foil in it and once kinked it flattens out.

I need to redo the pic as I don't includ the big black orings, but I do include the hose and the same SHD clamps as in the Mega kit...

·
Registered
663 Posts
bhinrichs said:
I hope you guys don't mind my jumping in here with related questions. What fitting do you use to install the oil pressure switch?  Do you need to do an oil drain to install the oil pressure switch or will there be minimal loss if you pull one of the plugs on the side of the filter base? Thanks, Bert
Bert,

I pulled the plug 3/8 NPT plug from the bottom of the oil filter adapter to use as a feed for my bypass filter. (see pic. This port can be pulled with out changing the oil. You'll get a trickle of oil but if you let it sit a few hours it will stop. The plug comes out very hard - it has what looks like red loctite on it. It's best to have the engine hot when you remove it. When I first installed the bypass oil feed I used a brass fitting and it leaked. I ended up changing to a steel hydraulic fitting (with precision NPTF threads) and teflon sealant - two full turns after the fitting engaged. No leaks after 20 kmiles. You should be able to use a 3/8NPT to 1/8NPT adapter in this port for your OPS. There is also another port on the back side that Tommy used (see pic).

·
Registered
118 Posts
what is the purpose of adding a lift pump?

·
Registered
140 Posts
dbloyd said:

Most of us will never need a lift pump. Basically they push the fuel through the filter rather than sucking it through. pushing the fuel seems to uses the whole filter rather than just the part closest to the intake line. Some people, with extra filtration, have had problems with air getting sucked into the system. I chose the Cat pre filter as it seems, IMO, to offer the least resistance to fuel flow. Others with mods want more fuel available and feel the stock setup is inadequate.

·
Registered
203 Posts
dbloyd said:

From what I have learned reading, just to better utilize the fuel filters (normally the top seems little used due to air) and to eliminate air problems in some after market filter setups due to the stock vacume feed causing out-gassing with too much restriction. Apparently it also shortens cranking time. Some feel it's also necessary to get enough fuel in high hp setups...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts