Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ordered a gmc 3500 d/a and this truck will be used exclusively for towing travel trailers, 5th wheels, etc. I will putting between 70 and 90,000 miles per year on this truck. I'm going to install a nicktane pre-filter, dual remote oil filter. after market exhaust, and intake inlet and filter with stock electronics. My question is do I need to install a lift pump? Thanks for any replies. Soon to be retired, Saxman. Edited by: saxman

·
Registered
62 Posts
Short answer: No.

Long answer: No. Dmax owners (myself included) are installing lift pumps for a few reasons such as: prevention or air build up in certain post-OEM filter set-ups, pressurizing the system so the filters are full of diesel and the whole element is being used uniformily, and performance gains when running big HP. You shouldn't have any air problems with the Nicktane setup. I haven't seen one in person, but from what I understand it is a high quality kit that has achieved very nice results in a fuel analysis.

Hope this helps.

Josh

·
Registered
663 Posts
Saxman,

Dittos to Josh's comments... You don’t need a lift pump. The primary reason some of us have installed lift pumps is to eliminated vapor from being trapped in a POST-OEM fuel filter installation. The trapped vapor can build up in the filter and cause a loss of prime and subsequent no-start. The Nicktane is a PRE-OEM filter and (as far as I know) doesn't exhibit this behavior. There are other advantages (and disadvantages) to a lift pump - also many opinions. There are also pros and cons to the location of an added filter - PRE versus POST OEM – many opinions here as well. Try searching the forum for more info. IMHO any of the various filters people here have used, PRE or Post, are good. All the popular options have been tested by several forum members have exhibited good ISO Fuel Test Results.. Hope this helps…

Edited by: jbplock

1 - 3 of 3 Posts