Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about putting a FASS system or Fuel Preporator on my Duramax. Does anyone know the ideal fuel pressure we need? Would appreciate any advice on this. Thanks, tpitt

On Edit. Duh! I finally used the search and came up with some good information. I was on the phone this morning with Charlies from Fuel Preporator and he says the pressure is adjustable on their unit. Would 10 p.s.i. be too much? I have the hot juice with attitude and am thinking about a Predator also to take away my top speed limiter. Thanks again, tpittEdited by: tpitt

·
Registered
704 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the low pressure pump was 10psi. I would guess it is best to stay under 10psi. It is more important to keep the rate of flow high and the pressure of flow low. JMO, but I would go with 140+ GPH and keep it at 4psi. I would verify that under load, the psi doesn't drop, or it would mean that you need more than the original 140GPH.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
The FASS specs are supposedly 140GPH @ 12-15psi? Who were you talking to at preporator? I am still trying to figure out if it is one company or two? It is my understanding that Charles Ekstam invented the fuel preporator. He then sold the rights to IFT. IFT heads a division called Diesel Performance Products. They now manufacture the FASS. All of my emails are signed by a guy named Brad Ekstram. I just can't figure it out?

·
Registered
716 Posts
I am thinking that what is important is the gph at what psi? Like most pumps might be 140gph but that is at 0 psi. I suppose we need the high gph at 4 or so psi.

I think the fass is cheaper than the preporator? I'm not sure.

Kyle

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
I would like to know as much about this product and the companys who manufacture them before I purchase it. At anywhere from 650.00 to 1100.00 I want to be informed and know who I am dealing with. There is a patent on the original design US and Foreign. I want to know If I am buying a counterfiet of the real thing. I am not sure if it is just a misunderstanding or there is some cotreversy? Please post all you know. Contacts/prices/location/ facts about product and claims about product.

It is my understanding they use CIM-TEK filters which are a top notch fuel storage tank filter. The filters they have chosen are very impressive. I have no idea who makes the lift pump? I do not know about the adjustable fuel output I just know it has a fuel heater.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
I haven't seen the technical details of where the air supposedly goes, but I will say that IMHO, any lift pump will do essentially the same thing.

Since putting the teeny little lift pump on my truck, I catch virtually ZERO air in my filters...

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
I am starting to put together a more complete picture. As far as the company goes. There are 2 seperate companys. One is headed by Charles Ekstram. He markets the fuel preporator. The other company is headed by Brad ekstram. He markets the Turbo Fass. Charles is Brads father. 2 seperate products, two diffirent methods of removing air. If I had to choose one over the other I would choose the FASS. Mainly do to a lower price and they also advertize here on this site.

As far as mechanics go this is what I know. This item will be mounted in front of the rear driver side wheel well. It attaches by 2 bolts to a bed support. It wil tap into the keyed ignition power. It does have a heat option however it requires hooking up to the coolant to be funtional. The sepearated air/fuel mixture is returned to the the tanks via a return line into the filler neck vent. ( This means you can not load fuel with your truck running). The unit contains a fleetgaurd water seperator and a CIM-TEK fuel filter.( soon to be a fleetguard filter as well) There is a built in pressure regulator that is preset at 10 PSI. It is only adjustable if you remove the control spring and replace it with a lighter/heaver spring. This pump is capable of flowing 144 GP to the return line. The motor is built by a electric motor company and then final assembly is done by DPP. This pump is supposedly the same pump the heavy duty truckers get and should not need any maintenance for 500,00 miles. At this time you will need to replace your brushes. This pump is supposedly good for 6-8 hundred K miles. If the pump quits operating the factory fuel pump is supposedly strong enough to pull fuel through this system and keep you from getting stranded. This system has been installed on many dodge and ford trucks. It performs flawlessly. It has really never been tested on a DMAX. As a matter of fact the earliest possiblle ship date is 2 weeks from today. The kit is still in prototype stage. The unit its self is the same unit that has been running on thousands of light duty trucks. I have no comments/proof about the performance/reduced emmissions claims of this unit. I also do not no what the potential destructive forces could be. There are 40 DMAX orders on wait so I am sure we will be hearing some feed back soon.

ON EDIT: This system should sell for 589.00 and be a complete kit other than Zip ties. It is plummed for the 1/2 " Dmax fuel system.Edited by: Bronco

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bronco,

Your right on about the two companies. I was going to reply to this last night and then I lost everything and gave up. I'm actually set up as a dealer for both outfits , but have never tried either yet. I believe the Fuel preporator filters down to 6 microns, while the Fass is at 10 microns.

As for a regular lift pump doing the job, I don't know. I would believe it would only help keep the air entrained, but would not remove any entrained air.

Your right about the availability, but have talked to both outfits, and should be able to get one to try. Charlies said he would set the pressure to whatever I want, and 1 1/2 pounds is sufficent to keep to remove the air. The way he explained it, it isn't that hard to change pressures.

Unfortunately, I work full time and don't have a lot of extra time. I'm in the process of opening up a shop (May or June, building isn't completed yet) and putting my oldest son in it until I can retire from my regular job, and this will free me up and my son can do my diesel performance business. tpitt

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
I am trying to gather info. from the racers as to what is the maximum amount of fuel pressure you would want to prefeed our stock system with. Sounds like 7-9 psi is the max used so far. Sdaver used 7-9PSI. for 24K miles. I think King D dynoed at 10PSI. For this application, seem like 5-7 would be appropriate? As far as the filter ratings are concerned you can always opt. for a lower micron filter. These are common filters that are easily crossreferenced. I will stick to a 10uc do to the fact that this helps with water separation and also reduced clogging. I will alwys keep a clean Racor in the stock location which is rated at 2uc nominal. I would be interested to see a fuel sample done with this set up. These large filters stop alot of particles no matter what the mic. rating. it will leave so few particles, that the Racor will probally do a great job in the final filter position.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts