Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading the FAQ on the Lift Pump, looking for confirmation of my results on my truck.

FAQ says:
Paraphrasing: Open t-handle, engine at idle, check for fuel out of valve. Engine runs out of fuel or it doesn't.

I'm not quite sure what that means... but sometimes I'm thick-headded on the minutia!

I did this on my truck, opened the valve, diesel comes out and then it stops. I wait a good 30 seconds plus, check the lift pump and it is operating. I can feel a "wobble" sensation in it but don't know if it is actually pumping or not (of course). Engine doesn't cough, sputter or die in over a minute.

So, is the lift pump bad or not. I think, by reading the FAQ, that the valve should have a steady stream that doesn't stop coming out of it? If this is the case, my lift pump is bad? I had a steady stream... at least until it stopped:rolleyes:

I still need to do the voltage test to the lift pump and will do that this weekend.

As always, your comments are welcome and appreciated!
Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
If you open the t-handle and a stream of fuel comes out, that means the lift pump is working. If it's just a tinkle, something seems to be wrong here.

Are you having issues, or is this just a routine check if everything is working properly?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you open the t-handle and a stream of fuel comes out, that means the lift pump is working. If it's just a tinkle, something seems to be wrong here.

Are you having issues, or is this just a routine check if everything is working properly?
I get a stream but then it stops. That's the question, should it stop at all?

It stalled on me once (the only time it's done that) moving out of a parking lot, so I'm looking for that failure mode. I'm also doing routine checks of all components as it is a new truck to me and I don't know how it was maintained since new.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
I don't think it should stop and it vibrating means nothing.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
install a fuel pressure gage, on the dash.....
Confidence builder when driving ....
Optimum placement for the fuel sender pickup?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
613 Posts
optimum

After the filter,before the IP:)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Right at the t-handle by the thermostat is where mine is going.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I pulled the feed hose off of the IP, installed a
T fitting ( bayonet type from hardware store )
and got a short piece of fuel hose to attach the 'T' to the IP also a short piece to the fuel sender line,( copper 1/8 )

I used a mechanical gage, attached to the 'T' fitting
hose with 1/8 copper line from the gage to the fuel hose.( napa )

Easy to restore to stock configuration..

Please, NO comments on fuel in cab !!! my choice....

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts