1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
a straight axle kit is the best

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
A straight axle is not the best lift kit. I would suggest a Rancho or BDS kit for that truck. You will maintain the ride and will be able to utilize the truck completely as if it were still stock. Talk to your local 4WD shop or call around and see what info you can find. Good luck..

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
A straight axle is not the best lift kit. I would suggest a Rancho or BDS kit for that truck. You will maintain the ride and will be able to utilize the truck completely as if it were still stock. Talk to your local 4WD shop or call around and see what info you can find. Good luck..
a straight axle is the best lift yo can get and who said you wouldn't be able to utilize your truck completely as if it were still stock. and a straight axle is stronger easier to work on and has more options on how you can lift it

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
If you want to be able to get rid of your truck one day and not have to hassle with warranty issues then IFS is the way to stay.. If you want to hack your truck up then go for it. I suggest that you find a good 4WD shop and talk to them about this. They will be able to answer all your questions and give you more of an in-depth idea of what to expect from your truck once it is lifted as in regards to performance, mileage, towing, etc... Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
If he wanted a SFA he would have bought a Dodge or a Ford

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
I have an 8" Fabtech on my SRW cc/sb but if you want to bling the front with rezi shocks I would use a different kit (the shock bodies are very short with the Fabtech kit because they use larger knuckles and don't move the upper control arm down). CST makes a good kit for for mounting kings, fox shox, etc. check out www.socalsupertrucks.com for some pics. Other wise, I like the tubular upper control arm that came with my Fabtech, and the ride is almost the same as stock. Plan on doing steering upgrades in the near future with a lift as the stock steering is not up to the chore. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
132 Posts
What Lift Is Better Fabtech Or C.s.t

·
Registered
565 Posts
If your planning on lifting an '06 dually there are some things you may want to know. Most lift manufacturers do not make a complete lift for the new dually's. I'm not sure why but could be because of liability reasons due to the dually's towing capacities.

I just lifted mine and spent hundreds of hours on the internet and calling lift manufacturers and didnt find any that would provide a kit for a new dually. Single rear wheel trucks, yes. I finally had to resort to calling lift and suspension shops to have them get me the information that would get me what I was looking for.

I ended up with a 4" Tuff Country lift and am pleased with the installation and ride quality. You will want to research this completely as some lifts increase front wheel track width, mine only increased the width by 1" (1/2" per side). I did not add rear blocks to my lift because I didnt want to have "axle wrap" issues while towing.

Research this thouroghly and be sure of what each kit will do for your application because most of the kits out there, cut out crossmembers and differential connection points that will not allow the truck to be re-verted back to stock without severe cost.

Just trying to be helpful.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Rcher

I just got the same truck in Sport Red. I would like to replace the stock tires and rims so I'm also interested in a lift.

From your research what should I be looking out for? I spoke to the guys at CST suspension and they didn't indicate that there would be any problems lifting the dually. In fact one of the things that I like about the CST is that there's no cutting of the diff cover. CST also only makes a 6" lift. :(

I would like to go with a 4" lift rather than a 6" to avoid bed rail height issues when towing a goosneck trailer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Rcher

One more question. I thought the blocks in the rear end between the axle housing and the leafs were the crux of the rearend work aside from swapping out for longer shocks.
What do you mean when you say wou did not add rear blocks?

·
Registered
602 Posts
CST

·
Registered
46 Posts
Surfrippa

I saw those pics in the other forum a few weeks back. That is some sharp lookin ride.
I wonder if I could ask a favor of you. Could you tell me what the height is from the ground to the top of the bedrails on that baby. I am concerned that a 6" lift with bigger wheels will have my rig sitting too high and not clear the featherlite goosneck horse trailer.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Surfrippa

I saw those pics in the other forum a few weeks back. That is some sharp lookin ride.
I wonder if I could ask a favor of you. Could you tell me what the height is from the ground to the top of the bedrails on that baby. I am concerned that a 6" lift with bigger wheels will have my rig sitting too high and not clear the featherlite goosneck horse trailer.
Sure, were actually getting the springs adjusted right now, and i should get the truck back tonight, if so i will measure and let you know tonight.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'd go with the 8 inch Fabtech, their lift kits are very well designed. We carry their lifts and install them for good prices

·
Registered
602 Posts
I'd go with the 8 inch Fabtech, their lift kits are very well designed. We carry their lifts and install them for good prices
Sorry but fabtech sucks...they have a recall on their tierods right now as well...

Also no measurement tonight, truck wont be done til tommarrow...

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
a straight axle kit is the best
Going to a straight axle is not considered lifting the truck. (Although it does lift it a minimum of about 3-4 inches) You will need to buy arched springs to get whatever lift you are after.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Surfrippa, Dude put that thing away, your are scareing the children.

Seriously Nice truck man!!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Going to a straight axle is not considered lifting the truck. (Although it does lift it a minimum of about 3-4 inches) You will need to buy arched springs to get whatever lift you are after.
what are you talking about do i have to say a 6 inch straight axle kit for you to understans the topic is LIFT KIT FOR A GMC SIERRA 3500 4x4 DUALLY not what size kit so i just said a staight axle kit does that clear it up for you

·
Premium Member
9,403 Posts
Strait axle :exactly: :grd: .IFS lifts are $$$$ for all they do.They only raise your truck,they don't improve flex. Man I wish I had a truck like that ORD dually :exactly: .I'm getting very anxious to SAS on my 01' D-Max.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts