• Over a 6" lift with Bigger tires?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lift or Dont lift

Truck is 2WD with stock 2500HD suspension right now. I pull a 22' enclosed Haulmark trailer with motorcycles in it and I will probably be getting helper bags soon for the little sag. I just dont wanna bad ride. I want it be be hopefully smoother riding then stock. At minumum stock ride quality. Kinda rough stock with 33''s on it.

Oh yea the wheels are 20" KMC XD Hoss'

Any input is appreciated...

[email protected]

here is some pics as it sits with 33" tires stock suspension...

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wanna lift it just dont know if its smart idea being 2WD someone said I can go as high as I want cause I dont have to worry about CV angles

·
Registered
577 Posts
Looks good. Just do a leveling kit and Sulastics to make it ride better.
Don't overhaul the engine if all it needs is a tune up;).

I think it looks great.
X3 - I really like the stance she has now!! Leving Kit with upper a arms and shocks should take care of the ride.

Shocks alone made a world of difference in my ride. Cranked the tbars to fit my 285/65 toyos on a set of 18" xd black hoss rims and she sits perfect - just waiting for the leveling kit to correct the ride.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Looks good the way it is! :cool:

What offset are the wheels?

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I'm agreeing with you guys. Looks good. Why change anything.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Are you using a Weight Distributing (W/D) hitch? Doesn't look like it. Get one of those and keep the truck the stock height. Warning though the stock hitch on that truck is garbage. Get a Putnam receiver hitch then put a W/D hitch on and do things right. It will put the truck back into balance. Putnam would be about $140 and W/D hitch is about $400 if you get an Equal-i-zer. The W/D hitch will put the steering and braking of the truck back into balance and I would also bet if you read the manual that it tells you to use a W/D hitch. As for the hitch on GM's they are junk. Go to any towing forum and read the nightmares with some actually even breaking. In any event they are soft and will flex and give you a crappy ride and will eventually wear out the pin hole from all of that banging.

I myself think airbags are just garbage for hitch pulled trailers. The truck is being "upset" by a torque applied to the rear with the rear axle as the center of the rotation. Cranking up the weight at the center of the rotation (air bags) is really not over coming the force applied by the hitch. It is just band-aiding it. In fact it probably lifts the front a little and throws off the braking and steering just a tad more. If you had a 5th wheel hitch different story as that hitch weight is applied above the axle.

Now as for lifting it that would do nothing at all to combat the hitch weight and is really throwing away money. Bilsteins will also help out with porpoising as well.

If you really want my vote then the best setup for towing is stock. Keeps the axle ratio intact and provides you with good E-rated tires with the correct load range and strong sidewalls. Your not heavy so your wheels are ok but get that W/D hitch and do the right thing.

·
Premium Member
9,432 Posts
A 2wd and 4wd HD Chevy/GM truck is the same but 2wd is missing a front diff and CV's. You still want to use the same common suggestions as a 4wd because you still have ball joint and tie rod angles to think about. CV angles and just a reflection of the other angles that people tend to go by.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sounds good i dont know if im going to be able to lift it now.. Im thinking about buying a KZ Inferno toy hauler 5th wheel. I'm not 100% sure but pretty sure u cant pull a 5er with a lift correct?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Trade it in and buy a 4wd

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'd say leave it as is. It looks good.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would leave it as is. The truck looks good wat size KZ are you looking at i am thinking about the same brand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.