Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WoW I am the first to post here. Anyway, what is the life expectancy of the rubber in the front crankshaft dampner, harmonic balancer, or what ever you call it?

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
I've never heard of one going bad.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Mine broke at about 190,000 and 8-1/2 years old.

They get a lot of small cracks in the rubber before breaking loose. Mine was ok till I got the A/C fixed and the extra load was too much for the old rubber.

·
Registered
199 Posts
while they can fail due to dry rot(small cracks),
the 2 biggest reasons for failure are oil leaks breaking
down the rubber, and stupid people smacking them on
with a hammer......this is true for ANY engine, not just
the 6.5 as SOME people would lead you to believe.
TomEdited by: RATDOC

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
RATDOC said:
and stupid people smacking them on
with a hammer.......
Tom
I'm not saying anything.

·
Registered
199 Posts
What's the matter Hoot, cat got your tongue???

That's o.k., I've had my share of "bonehead" moments too!!
Tom

·
Registered
845 Posts
I had one trash out at 85,000 miles..It caused a massive ticking sound, like bearings in a compressor or alternator going. I couldnt figure it out....till I read bout it somewheres. Mine trashed out early probabaly because our PTO setups run off that pulley, and add alot of force on the crank pulley. When I undid the PTO belts the pulley pretty much seperated...It was like 80 bucks for a new one from GM..I have heard alot of these failing myself......If I didnt have the PTO belts holding the pulley on...she would have gone right through the radiator. Bill

·
Registered
987 Posts
Mine went on my 88 6.2 after the alternator froze up. It took the dealer awhile to locate the noise. It had 475,000 on it at the time.

I sure hope my dmax holds up as well as that 88 6.2.ext cab. Somehow , I doubt it !

Northeast Diesel gettogether , Sept 27

www.dieselgettogether.com

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had my crankshaft break at 112,000 miles, and the probable cause was the balancer. The rubber had moved and squeezed out between the two pieces which may have produced enough vibration to cause the crank to snap, some others have had the same issue and it seems that at about 100,000 miles may be the life of the rubber that goes bad. Check yours all around on both the front and back, if its comming out I would replace it.

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Thanks tanker and welcome neighbor!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts