Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have seen several 2500 LBZ trucks that are level else where on this site. The information provided indicates that the dealer, or for that matter someone else, can raise the front end by adjusting the torsion bars and possibly installing some new keys. Can the 3500 dually be levelled using this process? If so, I would appreciate some details of exactly what needs to be done. How big of a job is it and do you stress components in the truck that are better off left alone? If some pictures are available that would also be helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Howdy, Lots of info if you do a site search using the search engine.

Here is a place that sells what you would need to do it right. You can look at my sig link to see the kit.

www.cognitomotorsports.com

·
Registered
77 Posts
Cranked my torsion bars 5 turns to accomodate bigger tires and "level the rake".. Easy to do, do a search, there is alot of info and posts with pictures to show you how.

Remember the alignment is very important after adjusting the torsion bars because when the ride height is altered, the alignment angles change and must be readjusted to prevent premature tire wear.

I turned mine without installing different keys. It still sits with a slight rake, but in my opinion much better and much closer to level. It may have stiffened the ride but I don't notice much difference which I believe has to do with the bigger tires (more sidewall flex).

You will hear many different opinions about this as you research it, good luck
and have fun with that dually..I am!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I tried cranking my torsion bars and couldn't get it even close to level. I installed green keys I had left over from another truck. Cranked them in about half way and got the alignment done and installed Bilsteins. Seems to ride a little better than stock. Might be the tires though.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NoMoreGas, beautiful truck, enjoy. I went for Black, quess way back somewhere buried in my brain is a need to wash trucks!!! The second picture that you sent, is this the key I keep hearing about, the yellow/purple fitting that the bolt rotates as you screw it in and out? Also, how did you handle the shocks? If you went Blisteins, do you remember the model. If you kept the stock shocks, what have you done to them? The rake look you have is what I would like to accomplish. BTW, before posting I did many searches and found a lot of 2500 info, but not dually specific info. Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
720 Posts
i had the different keys installed on my 06 lly i traded for the lbz and i had nearly 3" on the front and looked great still ran stock shocks took lower shock bracket off added 1 1/4 spacers and put two washers under the top bushings ran it this way for 6000 miles no problem and rode great .just the poor boy approch to a fix it solution.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I tried leveling mine with the Cognito system, would not get it level without creating a vibration in the CV joints. I opted for a 4" lift on the front only, no rear blocks and my truck now sits perfectly level and the front end geometry is back to factory spec's. I didnt add the rear blocks due to axle wrap problems while towing.

Personally after all I went through, I would not try to level a dually by cranking the torsion bars. You will stress many of the front end parts .. ie; ball joints, tie rod ends. The Cognito system will definitely be a better choice rather than just cranking the torsion bars but keep in mind, it wont get the truck perfectly level without creating problems either. Green keys will help get it level but only make other things worse. IMO, a true suspension lift is the proper way to get the truck level if thats your intension.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Rcher, your truck has the BULLDOG look to it. How does it tow with that setup? Did those wheels fit with the cognito leveling kit?
I havent towed with it yet, am still building. I dont expect any problems tho, my other 2500HD had the exact same setup and towed great. This dually will handle what I need to do. I have airbags yet to install to keep it level while towing, same as my other truck. This system worked great before, I see no reason it wont work again. ;)

Not sure about the wheel fitment with the Cognito kit, I didnt have them then. I suspect they would be close.

Bulldog look? ... the picture is deceiving, the truck sits perfectly level.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey rcher, how much did you pay for the 19.5 wheels? They look great. I am looking at getting some for mine. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
My rig has nearly 64K with the T-bars cranked...no problems at all! I may go with the cognito system...but I say crank the t-bars until you are near level.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I tried leveling mine with the Cognito system, would not get it level without creating a vibration in the CV joints. I opted for a 4" lift on the front only, no rear blocks and my truck now sits perfectly level and the front end geometry is back to factory spec's. I didnt add the rear blocks due to axle wrap problems while towing.
No offense or anything, but that thing sure looks taller in the front to me.........

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just cranked mine up the other day, went about 6 turns on the torsions. Much better look and the ride quality didn't change much at all.. Glad I did an alignment, the specs were WAY out. Just need some 235s now.

·
Registered
565 Posts
No offense or anything, but that thing sure looks taller in the front to me.........
Honest .. the picture is deceiving. The fender lips measure 43 1/4". Look at this one.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Rcher,

Your truck looks great! What brand of mud flaps did you go with?

·
Registered
565 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
RCHR,
Nice looking ride. I think some of the deception is the the tire clearance when you compare front to back. it may measure level but may LOOK higher in front.

I am suprised that you could not get the Cognito kit to work. After having cranked my T Bars and loosing total ride quality the Cognito fixed it and I got the ride back

·
Registered
272 Posts
what front end lift kit did you go with? I am wanting mine leveled BAD and want to do so before I install the 22.5 wheels although american force claims that I don't have to do anything to the truck to install them. I am having double thoughts about not having to lift the truck to do so. Anyone on here have experience with that?

·
Banned
720 Posts
i bought the kjey set on ebay had it put in looked great but i hated it had stearing shaft rattle could feal it so that was on my 2006 lly i have since traded it for the lbz and wanted to do the same to it but do not want the shaft problem has anyone else had this problem thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts