Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator Mister, your truck's smoking...
11,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... late this last fall, we had to have our garage floor leveled. Originally poured in 1984, the floor had cracked down the middle - front-to-back - and then again, mostly down the middle - left-to-right. The resulting four quadrants of the floor were not aligned with each other; the front two quadrants were mostly level, though they tended to sink slightly in the back by about a half inch or less. However, the back-left corner sagged badly by about 1 1/2 inches, and the back-right corner sagged even worse at close to 2 1/2 inches. It was really bad.

We called an outfit in Nicholasville, KY called A1 Concrete Leveling. They are the only outfit in the area who can do this sort of work... and boy, did they ever work. They drilled lots of holes in the floor and systematically pumped concrete slurry into the floor, hydraulically lifting the floor back to level.

It took them 1 1/2 truckloads of concrete slurry to fill the void beneath our garage floor... they were at our home for nearly 5 hours. But once they were done, the floor was back up where it belonged.

It turns out there was a hole at the front of the garage slab where rain water had been able to wash underneath the slab, effectively washing everything away over a 36 year span of time. While they were there, they also filled that hole so water wouldn't have anywhere to enter ever again.

I'll have to see if I can post some pictures of this... it cost me $1900 to have them come over, but it was sure worth the money.

Have any of you ever had this sort of work done at your home?

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Hey guys... late this last fall, we had to have our garage floor leveled. Originally poured in 1984, the floor had cracked down the middle - front-to-back - and then again, mostly down the middle - left-to-right. The resulting four quadrants of the floor were not aligned with each other; the front two quadrants were mostly level, though they tended to sink slightly in the back by about a half inch or less. However, the back-left corner sagged badly by about 1 1/2 inches, and the back-right corner sagged even worse at close to 2 1/2 inches. It was really bad.

We called an outfit in Nicholasville, KY called A1 Concrete Leveling. They are the only outfit in the area who can do this sort of work... and boy, did they ever work. They drilled lots of holes in the floor and systematically pumped concrete slurry into the floor, hydraulically lifting the floor back to level.

It took them 1 1/2 truckloads of concrete slurry to fill the void beneath our garage floor... they were at our home for nearly 5 hours. But once they were done, the floor was back up where it belonged.

It turns out there was a hole at the front of the garage slab where rain water had been able to wash underneath the slab, effectively washing everything away over a 36 year span of time. While they were there, they also filled that hole so water wouldn't have anywhere to enter ever again.

I'll have to see if I can post some pictures of this... it cost me $1900 to have them come over, but it was sure worth the money.

Have any of you ever had this sort of work done at your home?
No, I haven't, but by trade, I am a grading professional and can tell you the water needs to be directed or it will find its way once again. I can not tell you how common it is for people to NOT understand the power of water. They usually simply think water will soak into the ground and that's it. Gone, out of sight, not a problem. To which I remind them NOTHING could be further from the truth. Grand Canyon. Water will move rock. Don't underestimate it's destructive force as it seeks lower ground.

Positive drainage is paramount. The water will make a path if you don't give it one. Never expect anyone but grading contractors to do that since almost nobody else gives it any concern. Your concrete levelers shouldn't be expected to have fixed the flow.

I saw a pool house with living quarters over it being pushed off the side of a mountain from trapped water flow. The foundation guys leveled, cabled and anchored the structure to the ground. I told the homeowners, "Great, now when the water pushes on the structure, it'll take the earth under it with it right off the cliff. Fix the trapped drainage or the problem is still there." They did.

:2cents:

Reactions: BanksLB7Duramax

·
11,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I haven't, but by trade, I am a grading professional and can tell you the water needs to be directed or it will find its way once again. I can not tell you how common it is for people to NOT understand the power of water. They usually simply think water will soak into the ground and that's it. Gone, out of sight, not a problem. To which I remind them NOTHING could be further from the truth. Grand Canyon. Water will move rock. Don't underestimate it's destructive force as it seeks lower ground.

Positive drainage is paramount. The water will make a path if you don't give it one. Never expect anyone but grading contractors to do that since almost nobody else gives it any concern. Your concrete levelers shouldn't be expected to have fixed the flow.

I saw a pool house with living quarters over it being pushed off the side of a mountain from trapped water flow. The foundation guys leveled, cabled and anchored the structure to the ground. I told the homeowners, "Great, now when the water pushes on the structure, it'll take the earth under it with it right off the cliff. Fix the trapped drainage or the problem is still there." They did.

:2cents:
That's in the plan for this spring; we just ran out of time this fall. My plan is to either run a drain across the front of the garage, or to have the pavers we plan to hire this spring to grade everything such that the water will roll off to the low side of the property - the left side of the driveway. Thanks for confirming/pointing out this issue... we know we have to deal with it.:thumb:

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
That's in the plan for this spring; we just ran out of time this fall. My plan is to either run a drain across the front of the garage, or to have the pavers we plan to hire this spring to grade everything such that the water will roll off to the low side of the property - the left side of the driveway. Thanks for confirming/pointing out this issue... we know we have to deal with it.:thumb:
No problem buddy. And I wasn't trying to be snotty - hope it didn't come out that way. Just wanted to make sure you knew the importance. It's not in the best interest of the concrete levelers to have pointed it out ):h

·
11,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No problem buddy. And I wasn't trying to be snotty - hope it didn't come out that way. Just wanted to make sure you knew the importance. It's not in the best interest of the concrete levelers to have pointed it out ):h
No problems, glad you pointed it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts